Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dang it, what do I put on my Lyman lube ziser...

Boolit Buddy

Dang it, what do I put on my Lyman lube ziser...

I have read scores of lube recipes here. I'm nowhere close to figure out which one to use After the bear of a time I had cleaning the lube ziser I don't want to go over the hassle of changing it again.

Currently I'm reloading for 44 special and magnum. I'm a weenie, so I don't think I would be shooting much when it gets to 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I may do some +P loads with 310 grain bullets but if push comes to shove I can pan lube those.

Could somebody pretty please just throw me a bone? Something that would fit a nice range? I still have a few bricks of beeswax from my days as a beekeeper.

In Remembrance

If you aren`t about to enter the experimenting world of making a lube I have actually only one recommendation for an over the counter lube, Lars Carnuba Red.Robert

If your going to make your own by a recipe, I use Ben's Red for everything.

Boolit Master

made and used bens red until I got in to powder coating, make a big batch and it will last for a long while.

Boolit Master

Either Felix which is a softer lube or Ben's red.

I have been using this lube in my 44mag for years 2 TBS lanolin 2TBS baby oil 3/4 lb bees wax 5TBS stearic acid 7tBS carnauba wax 3/4 lb candle wax 2 TBS stp oil treatment add the lamolin last to keep from scorching it make in a double boiler hope this helps and if you can not find some of the waxes call Cal wax ph 626-969-4334 they will have the waxes you will need D Crockett

Boolit Master

Don1357
    What Hardcast416taylor said, Carnuba red if you have a heater for your Lyman or if not one of Lar's other lubes, like 2500+. You wont go wrong using his lube, for the price it can't be beat. http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Ken

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    If you aren`t about to enter the experimenting world of making a lube I have actually only one recommendation for an over the counter lube, Lars Carnuba Red.Robert
    ^^^^^^
    This
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Just buy from Lars and save yourself a whole lot of trouble. Any of the lubes he sells will work.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    I have been using this lube in my 44mag for years 2 TBS lanolin 2TBS baby oil 3/4 lb bees wax 5TBS stearic acid 7tBS carnauba wax 3/4 lb candle wax 2 TBS stp oil treatment add the lamolin last to keep from scorching it make in a double boiler hope this helps and if you can not find some of the waxes call Cal wax ph 626-969-4334 they will have the waxes you will need D Crockett
    D Crockett, A few questions on your lube ingredients, first is the candle wax paraffin, soy wax or a combination or something else, second is the Carnuba wax liquid, paste or pure flake?

Thanks, Jay

the candle wax comes from any candle that I have on hand . the carnauba wax came from Cal. wax and it was in the form of flakes. D Crockett

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by D Crockett View Post
    the candle wax comes from any candle that I have on hand . the carnauba wax came from Cal. wax and it was in the form of flakes. D Crockett
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll try it out.

Jay

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on Lars

Boolit Master
    I vote for Carnauba Red, but with cooler weather, you'll want a heater. A heat lamp works well for this. For full velocity rifle, I use MTL, which is a red wax and Teflon blend, slightly easier to move than CR.

If you're set on making some of your own, 541 (aka Emmert's Lube) is easy to make; 5 parts beeswax, 4 parts vegetable shortening, 1 part vegetable oil, melted together in a double boiler and stirred well. Pour it into a non-stick breadpan and let it solidify. If it doesn't pop loose, put it in the fridge for 20 minutes. It'll shrink a bit and come loose. To make it stick in the lube grooves better, add 1/4 to 1/2 part anhydrous lanolin when you mix the ingredients and they'll withstand handling better. This lube is black powder compatible.

Boolit Master

Bens has my vote aswell. What i just fill mine with.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Just buy from Lars and save yourself a whole lot of trouble. Any of the lubes he sells will work.
    I used to make my own lube prior to the Hi-Tek coating. Ben's Red is hard to beat. Even harder to beat is sending an e-mail to Lars for an order of either Carnauba Red or 2500+.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Don1357
    What Hardcast416taylor said, Carnuba red if you have a heater for your Lyman or if not one of Lar's other lubes, like 2500+. You wont go wrong using his lube, for the price it can't be beat. http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Ken
    some days I wish I never started making my own lube.
    Before I did, I was happy with the old NRA 50-50
    then I started using Lar's BAC and liked the way it went through a Lyman 45
    Then I tried Lar's Carnuba Red...I really like how that "sticks" in the lube grooves, But it will throw a cold barrel flier below 40ºF, so I quit using it because I decided there are better lubes for hunting purposes in Minnesota.
    Then I started using Randyrat's Tac#1, I liked that the most, but then I decided I needed to start making my own lube.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...how-to-make-it
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

Don ,
    I have used the following lube with total satisfaction since 1978 , I have tried others but keep coming back to this.
    I have never had a leading problem with it...handgun from 32 acp to 41 magnum,45 acp and 45 Colt . Rifles 30-30 , 30-06, 308 Win. , 7.5 Swiss and 303 British .
    It is a soft lube, no heater is required and was once sold commercially .

LITHI-BEE BULLET LUBE
    1 part Lithium Grease...Lucas Red-N-Tacky is what I use.
    3 parts Beeswax
    Use a double boiler or old crock pot to melt and blend, let cool and repeat blending. Lithium grease does not really melt, heating and blending with a whisk does the job and 3 sessions at Crock Pot temperature and whisking work better than a high heat session that might scorch the batch. 450 degrees is the flash point of bees wax , keep a thermometer handy and don't let the mix go over 450 ...you don't want a bees wax flash fire, trust me ! Garth advised to do it outside and keep a fire extinguisher handy. The crock pot lid can smother a fire also...and wear heavy gloves.

That's it ! If the beeswax is a little soft and the lobe is too soft/tacky for your likes the commercial maker ( Garth Choate / Choate Machine and Tool ) told me to add just a little paraffin wax to stiffen it up.
    Dusting the boolits with a little Motor Mica will un sticky them also.

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 10-27-2017 at 05:58 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I made this lube when I first started out and made a few lbs of it and still have more then half. I've shot it in 45acp, 10mm, 40s&w, 45-70, and just recently at velocities that I'm hoping asre under 2600fps in 223. It's beeswax, paraffin, baseline equal parts by weight. I think it was 12oz of each then add a heaping Tbsp of lee liquid alox. The all was hard to get rendered in, but I'll tell you what this is absolutely my go to lube.

I use moley lube. no heat required works in pistol and rifles. Maybe one day i will get a heater and use something else that I have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast