Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most inherently accurate pistol round?

Boolit Master

Most inherently accurate pistol round?

In a debate on another site about defensive pistol accuracy. He claims that 9mm is more accurate than .40 S&W and that's why it's used by more competitive shooters. I argue that .40 S&W is just as accurate and that 9mm is more popular due to less recoil and cost.

I can't find any hard data that says 9mm is more accurate than .40 S&W, or vice versa.

Boolit Master
    Caliber has little to do with accuracy. Accuracy is determined by shooting the gun off a rest and seeing what size group you can get out of it. I've owned a good number of very, very accurate pistols in calibers of .357mag (two original Coonans), a 356TSW, 38Super, and 40SW. All of these guns were capable of 1" five shot groups at 25 yards...and in most cases could do better. Defensive shooting doesn't require that level of accuracy, if we're truly talking about a defensive handgun. In that case reliability is much more important. For competitive shooting it depends on what type of competition you're talking about. I've shot competition where accuracy was of paramount importance and I've shot competition where accuracy wasn't as important. A lot of the "run and gun" competition doesn't require pin point accuracy as much as it does the shooters ability to shoot fast without missing a generous sized target. Just shooting off the bags and you'll find any caliber can be more accurate than the shooter. I don't think most recreational shooters (or would-be Rambos) have any idea how accurate a handgun can actually be.

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Caliber has little to do with accuracy. Accuracy is determined by shooting the gun off a rest and seeing what size group you can get out of it. I've owned a good number of very, very accurate pistols in calibers of .357mag (two original Coonans), a 356TSW, 38Super, and 40SW. All of these guns were capable of 1" five shot groups at 25 yards...and in most cases could do better. Defensive shooting doesn't require that level of accuracy, if we're truly talking about a defensive handgun. In that case reliability is much more important. For competitive shooting it depends on what type of competition you're talking about. I've shot competition where accuracy was of paramount importance and I've shot competition where accuracy wasn't as important. A lot of the "run and gun" competition doesn't require pin point accuracy as much as it does the shooters ability to shoot fast without missing a generous sized target. Just shooting off the bags and you'll find any caliber can be more accurate than the shooter. I don't think most recreational shooters (or would-be Rambos) have any idea how accurate a handgun can actually be.
    Excellent point. It's an impossible shot if you never try, to be certain.

Banned
    Anything can be accurate in the right hands. I have both 9mm's and 40's and find that both have the ability to be on target extremely fast. I would call it a draw in my hands as I can find no difference. In brute energy I still favor the 40 cal round. Having said this I will point out that some people cannot shoot the 40 and be accurate. Its a draw pick the one you are most comfortable with and let it go.

Banned

more of a matter of how good the gun is then the round its chambered for. For example ive owned over a dozen 1911s through the years and the most accurate one I ever owned was a sti Trojan in 9mm.

Banned
    Probably my best 9mm is not the Glock I own but rather the cheap CM9 Gen2. Rapid fire defense mode its more accurate for me than a number of other 9mm's. My 40's the Model 35 Glock can be used to deliver rounds on target fast and much better than my Glock 23. So, I don't think one can come out and say which is best. Too many factors among them is the shooter.

I have 2 identical guns, happen to be Hipoint Carbines.

The 9 will outshoot the .40 "at over 30 feet"
    Inside that range there is virtually no difference.

And as a disclaimer, it could be the gun.

That being said, in a pistol, I much prefer 9mm. Less sharp, less bark, so that follow up shot is easier. But YMMV.

Boolit Master
    He claims that 9mm is more accurate than .40 S&W and that's why it's used by more competitive shooters.
    Which competition? For timed shooting events the 9 is more popular because it has less recoil which makes for quicker follow up shots.

Boolit Master
    Here is a dumb question and who else to ask it but dumb old me?

What is accurate? How would the top notch shooters on here define accurate? As most on here are a lot better than me it would interesting to know.

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Here is a dumb question and who else to ask it but dumb old me?

What is accurate? How would the top notch shooters on here define accurate? As most on here are a lot better than me it would interesting to know.
    Since I am not and never will be a top notch shooter, I would also be interested in hearing the answer to that question.

Boolit Master

I am no where near a "top notch" shooter but will attempt to define handgun accuracy. It depends on the situation or the game you're competing in.
    As far as a defensive firearm accuracy is not that important. Gunfights are mostly close range affairs and reliability is paramount. IMO a 3-5" 25 yd. gun that goes bang every time is more than adequate. As far as the shooting games you want something that will group considerably smaller than the target you are shooting at the range you are shooting. As an example bullseye shooters have an approx 3" 10 ring @ 50 yds, so in order to shoot a perfect score the gun must be capable of staying well inside that 3" circle at 50 yds. Silhouette shooters also have high accuracy requirements. Hunters Pistol goes to 100 yds and to be competitive at higher levels in centerfire you would want a handgun that groups in the 3-4" range at 100 yds. If you mange to hold the sights on target through the trigger break you sure don't want to miss because of your guns inaccuracy.
    Basically accuracy is defined by the size and range of the target being shot.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    There is no such thing except in the imaginations of marketing department copywriters and their gunrag minions.

When I read this it said "the most INHERENTLY ACCURATE pistol round" not what is the easiest to shoot in this situation or that.

It has been pretty cut and cleared by the most advanced competitions on the world stage,,, the 45acp is the hands down most accurate,, and the most accurate platform to deliver is without doubt the 1911 pistol. Now if some are less capable it has proven what it is capable of, so this would just leave them to need more practice, but what you can shoot and cant as well, as others is not what "inherent accuracy" defines.

There may be some with revolvers that would say the .38 spcl is, but in the pistol the 45 acp has proven for over a century in competition for absolute accuracy it is the round you have to beat.

I used to hunt groundhogs with a 45 acp, and was pretty deadly out past 100 yards when I took it,, not so today. But at one time it was as accurate out to 100 yards or a little more as any round I used,,,,, in a revolver or pistol. Dam thats been a while ago!

Boolit Grand Master

Handgun accuracy is more a function of the fit to the shooter ( same with trap and skeet ) than caliber is. In speed events light recoil and useable accuracy are at the top of the list. In ispc years ago a lot switched to 38 super from 45 for major caliber matches. The 140 grn bullet was less recoil and the hotter loads and slower powders produced more gas making the compensators more effective. In NRA High power the switch has been to smaller calibers also from 30-06 to 308, then various 6-7 MMs and now the 223. Lighter recoil allows you to function at top performance longer before fatiuge sets in.

Another thing to keep in mind a good shooter is a good shooter, firearm is down on the list to a certain extent. A good shooter will shoot good scores with almost any firearm ( as long as the firearm is up to the task). The basics breathing trigger control and sight alighnment are the important issues.

Boolit Master
    Apparently a lot of people don't know what the word "accurate" actually means. It's not about how well the gun "fits" your hand, how fast you can shoot it, or some other intangible attribute. Accuracy of the gun simply means....how accurate is the gun. That has nothing to do with anything else. It's a mechanical concept. All the other smoke and mirrors being talked about has nothing to do with accuracy. As mentioned above, the 1911 has probably been taken as far as any pistol can be taken to achieve the greatest accuracy. There are custom models that will shoot 1" at fifty yards. That's got nothing to do with how fast you can shoot it, how much recoil it has, how it feels in your hand, etc. Fact of the matter is, a really good handgun shooter can take any handgun and shoot it to its potential.
    ac·cu·ra·cy
    ˈakyərəsē/
    noun
    noun: accuracy

the quality or state of being correct or precise.

You did say pistol so I'll say .38 Special wadcutter followed by .45 acp. There's no magic caliber but those two ruled bullseye competition because of - oh I don't know- accuracy?
    Or I could say the .221 Fire Ball in the XP100 Remington pistol!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

If a gun hits a 6” plate at 75 feet every time it’s accurate enough for me. Now if I was doing bianchi cup I would probably have to close that down some.

Accuracy is a subjective thing in some regards
    Here is a link to target testing of handguns
    http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-pistols-part/
    their best shooting groups
    Sig Sauer P226S X-Five Enhanced Classic

Category Size (Inches) Rank
    Smallest 25 Yard Group 0.89 1
    Average 25 Yard Group 1.31 1
    Average 25 Yard Group (Excluding Worst) 1.23 1
    Smallest 35 Foot Group 0.44 2
    Average 35 Foot Group 0.54 1
    Average 35 Foot Group (Excluding Worst) 0.51 1

The most accurate*(that I am aware of) 40 S&W (SVI custom) is guaranteed 1.5" @ 25 yards.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Handgun accuracy is more a function of the fit to the shooter ( same with trap and skeet ) than caliber is. In speed events light recoil and useable accuracy are at the top of the list. In ispc years ago a lot switched to 38 super from 45 for major caliber matches. The 140 grn bullet was less recoil and the hotter loads and slower powders produced more gas making the compensators more effective. In NRA High power the switch has been to smaller calibers also from 30-06 to 308, then various 6-7 MMs and now the 223. Lighter recoil allows you to function at top performance longer before fatiuge sets in.

Another thing to keep in mind a good shooter is a good shooter, firearm is down on the list to a certain extent. A good shooter will shoot good scores with almost any firearm ( as long as the firearm is up to the task). The basics breathing trigger control and sight alighnment are the important issues.
    far to many get caught up in this theory of accuracy. It is only a product of ones ability, and has nothing to do with "INHERENT ACCURACY" if they understood the difference in the two, they would have to bring their own deficiencies into the equation!

Now if this was a question of cartridge, and not restricted to the pistol comment,, this could be expanded even further. I think far to many didn't read the question, but it had nothing to do with single shots, revolvers, personal ability, time, or anything but "INHERENTLY ACCURATE PISTOL ROUND" but the answers from many are reaching! they are avoiding the question,, this is just bringing things to the table that are not pertinent to the question, and getting off subject.

Boolit Master

If a gun hits a 6” plate at 75 feet every time it’s accurate enough for me. Now if I was doing bianchi cup I would probably have to close that down some.

I enjoy working the plate rack at 35 feet but always whack it at 75 feet at the end of each session now. That is my test of skill for myself.

I do knot believe any 9mm/40 or 45 cartridge is really better by design, but that the gun is that what makes the accuracy happen. It’s not real simple if it was we wouldn’t have forums like this.
    Last edited by Plate plinker; 10-24-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast