MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Mihec .359-147 no groove (Hitek) for 9mm

I am going to ask here first. It has been several years since I have had a new MP HP mold. The HP pins on mine are not allowing the mold to close as tight as the flat pins. Is that normal?
    Thanks for any input.

Edit to add:
    I am currently in the first heat up of the three. I will test it after that as well.
    Last edited by eagleotto; 07-21-2018 at 09:47 PM.

I'm A Honcho!
    You have the pin screwed into the round side of the pin. Look for the flat edge and rescrew your pin.
    You never know how you rank amongst men 'til you have seen what will break another man.
    The original "Bluejay" US Army/ US Navy 1945-1970.

Thanks bluejay75, I did check that first though.
    Any other thoughts? When it all cools down I will check diameters (should have done that before.. doh)
    Last edited by eagleotto; 07-21-2018 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Spelling

Vendor Sponsor

Check for lead smearing, it doesn't take much to cause the mold not to close.

Another is once it's all cooled down, you might need to ever-so-slightly deburr the edges of the pins, while Miha does fantastic work, some might just need a bit of 800 or 1000 grit to ease a sharp corner

This could also clear itself up as you cast, these molds are tight when new. I've found some molds needing 2000 boolits dropped before the mold really starts singing.

Quote Originally Posted by eagleotto View Post
    Thanks bluejay75, I did check that first though.
    Any other thought? When it all cools down I will check diameter (should have done that before.. doh)

Thanks Lakehouse,
    I have not done any casting with it yet. It appears to have something to do with the actual hollow point pin section, not the base of the pin (flipped the pin upside down and it was good).

Vendor Sponsor

Thanks Lakehouse,
    I have not done any casting with it yet. It appears to have something to do with the actual hollow point pin section, not the base of the pin (flipped the pin upside down and it was good).
    Another thought is dont run the cross-pins down tight, back them off an 1/8th of a turn from tight. Things can bind a bit when new, but you will find the tight spots will work themselves out and will settle in pretty quick when you start casting with it. Keep asking questions, we will get you rolling

Thanks again Lakehouse, I read that on MP's page about the 1/8th turn. I have 4 of his molds, but the 3 HP molds are 7-8 years old (got those new from him) so I forgot what a new HP mold is like
    I am tempted to lightly sand down one of the hp pins with 1000 grit to see if it gets it fitting right.

Vendor Sponsor

If you carefully chuck it in a drill and run low-speed, it won't take but 30 seconds with 1000 grit to get that surface polished.
    Thanks again Lakehouse, I read that on MP's page about the 1/8th turn. I have 4 of his molds, but the 3 HP molds are 7-8 years old (got those new from him) so I forgot what a new HP mold is like
    I am tempted to lightly sand down one of the hp pins with 1000 grit to see if it gets it fitting right.

That was the plan! I will let you know how it goes.

Ok, so I polished up two of the pins. That seems to do the trick. I only have to polish the straight section of the pin. This is in case anyone else notices that the two different style pins don't close the same. If I could post pictures I would show. I plan on trying to get some cast up and get the gel blocks melted back down.

Being in Alabama, I finally got everything ready to cast. Made my first pour, was about to start lubing the mold when thunder and rain hit... of course. I envy those that have a workshop for this!
    Anyway, the two flatnose came out great, the two HP have a small flash on the sides. I will polish a little more and retry if the rain stops.

Boolit Bub
    Being in Alabama, I finally got everything ready to cast. Made my first pour, was about to start lubing the mold when thunder and rain hit... of course. I envy those that have a workshop for this!
    Anyway, the two flatnose came out great, the two HP have a small flash on the sides. I will polish a little more and retry if the rain stops.
    You mentioned 3 heat cycles. Is this the break in period? Heat the mold and let it cool 3 times before using? What part of alabama are you from? I'm in Birmingham. I have 2 other mp molds and a few Lee molds. The mp molds are better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
    You mentioned 3 heat cycles. Is this the break in period? Heat the mold and let it cool 3 times before using? What part of alabama are you from? I'm in Birmingham. I have 2 other mp molds and a few Lee molds. The mp molds are better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    I used advice from this page on Mihec's website:
    https://www.mp-molds.com/tips-tricks...w-point-moulds

I am in Prattville. The MP molds are incredible, but the Lee 6 cavity molds are pretty good.
    The rain stopped and sun came back out. Got back to casting. I need to weigh sort them and powder coat them .

Vendor Sponsor

Anyone looking for a 154gr 9mm or .38 boolit, Miha has several on hand ready to ship! See below.

Quote Originally Posted by MiHec View Post
    this is what i have on hands (12 july 2018)

model............................................. .. pcs

9 MM-147-154 HP NLG 4 CAV 357........ 2
    9 MM-147-154 HP NLG 4 CAV 359............. 2
    9 MM-147-154 HP NLG 4 CAV 358......... 4
    9 MM-147-154 6 CAV SOL 357-154 BB........0
    9 MM-147-154 6 CAV SOL 358-154 BB........1

9 MM-147-154 6 CAV SOL 357-147 FB ........3

Wanted to post some expansion pics:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180830_221504-480x640.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	237227

Boolit Bub
    New member here, don't mean to bump an old thread and wake up a dinosaur. But spoke to Miha about a 6 cavity mold, specifically in 9mm, no lube groove, plain base, hollow point in 147gr range. If anyone has one for sale or interested in a group buy I am willing to join/buy.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by baragasam View Post
    New member here, don't mean to bump an old thread and wake up a dinosaur. But spoke to Miha about a 6 cavity mold, specifically in 9mm, no lube groove, plain base, hollow point in 147gr range. If anyone has one for sale or interested in a group buy I am willing to join/buy.
    Ill check my molds tonight, i may have one.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910