Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Sprue Plate Handle

Boolit Buddy

Lee Sprue Plate Handle

Hi all,

Do you guys know if Lee still sells sprue plate handles (not even sure if that's what they're called)? I haven't been able to find them from my favorite online retailers.

Additionally, do these fit MP molds and are they worth it? I've only been casting for three weeks so I'm still learning a lot.

Thanks for any advice!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FamilyBulletMold.jpg  

Banned
    https://leeprecision.com/parts/bulle...ty-mold-parts/

Call Lee and they will give you the # to order the part. You'll have to pay shipping

Not sure about MP molds

Boolit Master
    play with the one you broke for while till you understand how to use it. you have to move it while HOT

Boolit Master
    OK I think you need to tell us what you want to do here, some will think you broke a Lee sprue handle other will think you want to modify another makers mold and the rest will think you want to do both, LOL!

So tell us and we'll go from there.

HM

Boolit Master

Titan Reloading (Click at the top of this page) has them listed in their mold service parts section. The cam sprue lever is $3.98 and the wood handle is $1.50, plus shipping. And do open the sprue when it is hot so you don't break things.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Buddy
    My guess he is asking about Lee 6 cavity mold handles.
    Yes Lee handles will fit MP's molds. I've used them. There are many mold makers that will also sell handles. For the money I use the lees. I have glued and or drilled and pined the wood on them.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian" Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    https://leeprecision.com/parts/bulle...ty-mold-parts/

Call Lee and they will give you the # to order the part. You'll have to pay shipping

Not sure about MP molds
    I saw that link in my searches. But I wasn’t sure which/where to find an appropriate wood handle. I might have to give them a call tomorrow when they open after I establish they will fit a MP Sprue plate. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by too many things View Post
    play with the one you broke for while till you understand how to use it. you have to move it while HOT

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyMetal View Post
    OK I think you need to tell us what you want to do here, some will think you broke a Lee sprue handle other will think you want to modify another makers mold and the rest will think you want to do both, LOL!

So tell us and we'll go from there.

HM
    I ordered a couple of MP molds, and while I’m waiting I got bored and decided to watch you tube video reviews of MP molds online. I found a German/Austrian guy using his MP mold with some sort of handle attached to the Sprue plate. As far as I’ve seen, Lee is the only brand that I’ve seen glimpses online of one. But I couldn’t find any info here or on google if the Lee handle would actually fit the MP plate or even where I could get the parts.

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    Titan Reloading (Click at the top of this page) has them listed in their mold service parts section. The cam sprue lever is $3.98 and the wood handle is $1.50, plus shipping. And do open the sprue when it is hot so you don't break things.
    Ah!!! I’ll definitely have to take look. Thanks a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by huntnman View Post
    My guess he is asking about Lee 6 cavity mold handles.
    Yes Lee handles will fit MP's molds. I've used them. There are many mold makers that will also sell handles. For the money I use the lees. I have glued and or drilled and pined the wood on them.
    I’m referring to the wood handle that attaches to the Sprue plate. I attached a picture and circled what I was taking about in the original post.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by EMR View Post
    SNIP...

I ordered a couple of MP molds, and while I’m waiting I got bored and decided to watch you tube video reviews of MP molds online. I found a German/Austrian guy using his MP mold with some sort of handle attached to the Sprue plate. As far as I’ve seen, Lee is the only brand that I’ve seen glimpses online of one. But I couldn’t find any info here or on google if the Lee handle would actually fit the MP plate or even where I could get the parts.
    EMR,
    Welcome to the forum.

Some of the early MP Group buy molds had the Cam lever handle design (for opening the sprue plate) nearly identical to Lee's 6 cavity design. MP has quit doing that, and I don't think it will be easy to "gerry-rig" a Lee Cam lever handle to a current MP sprue plate, but I'd never say that it's impossible.

Once you get some casting experience under your belt, and develop your own technique, you may learn that if you preheat the mold, and run the mold at the proper temperature, you can open the sprue plate with a gloved hand, which makes the Cam lever handle unnecessary.
    Good Luck.
    Last edited by JonB_in_Glencoe; 10-24-2017 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added welcome
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    EMR,
    Welcome to the forum.

Some of the early MP Group buy molds had the Cam lever handle design (for opening the sprue plate) nearly identical to Lee's 6 cavity design. MP has quit doing that, and I don't think it will be easy to "gerry-rig" a Lee Cam lever handle to a current MP sprue plate, but I'd never say that it's impossible.

Once you get some casting experience under your belt, and develop your own technique, you may learn that if you preheat the mold, and run the mold at the proper temperature, you can open the sprue plate with a gloved hand, which makes the Cam lever handle unnecessary.
    Good Luck.
    Very helpful info. Thanks! Looks like it won’t be possible.

I actually currently used a gloved hand to open the Sprue plate once warmed up. But what can I say, I’m a sucker for accessories!

I thought I remembered someone making stronger ones.

http://www.kal.castpics.net/Molds3.html
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    kal sprue plate replacements for Lee's 6 cavitys are great. I have about a dozen of them with troughs cut in them.

Boolit Mold
    I just use a piece of smashed copper pipe to fit the sprue plate. Bill

Boolit Buddy
    I just got my brass 6 cav MP 358130 mold. It takes a while to get warmed up compared to my aluminum Lee 2 cavity, but I don’t mind doing it by hand sans accessories. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity everyone!

@needmore: now that’s not a bad idea!