Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: Whoopie

Boolit Master

Whoopie

Just got a letter from Bill Goodman saying my Shiloh Sharps 40-50 is in hand.
    Guess I need to skip out of work early and round up the money order and FFL so I can get it out in the mail tomorrow. I was hoping to have it in time to deer hunt with but not sure I can get it ready in time at this point, only 3 weeks till season.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

In Remembrance
    40-50 SBN or 40-50 SS? I had a Shiloh 40-50 SBN that I sold (foolishly!) to a friend. The good thing was that he wanted a 45-70 so he rebarreled rifle and gave me the original barrel. It is now fitted to a Trapdoor action and I am working on a stock blank.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    With a little cooperation from the weather , you should have plenty of time to work up a load suitable for hunting in that rifle.
    Looking forward to reading your adventures with it.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    With a little cooperation from the weather , you should have plenty of time to work up a load suitable for hunting in that rifle.
    40-50 SS.
    I'm sure there will be an adventure. I thought that this would be a fun Silhouette with scope, mid range with irons and hunting gun both with irons and a scope. If the desire hit it would be good with smokeless as well.
    Does anyone know it the MVA Winchester short scope will reach 600yd with the provided mounts. Might be the best of all worlds if it would.

Bob

Bob, I just ordered a MVA B series scope but I ordered the #2 mount that gives me more elevation if I want to reach 1000 yards. Also I ordered the .175 front block and the .225" rear block. I have a friend I shoot Silhouettes with and he has a B-5 with the #1 and gets the 500 mtr in fine shape But I cant say if it reaches 600. I also ordered a .325" rear just incase the .225" is not enough..........Kurt

Bob get the #2 mount you won't have any problem going to 600 yards with the B5. They are supposed to be coming out with an improved model of the #2 mount that won't require changing the rear block to go beyond 600. I have 2 of those scopes and really like them.

I use the #2 on my DZ scope with the .175" and the .225" blocks and it will go past 1000 yds but barrel shadow gets to be a issue the longer 3000 series scopes don't show the shadow as bad but it would help taking the front sight off so you don't look through the sight hood.

Boolit Master
    With respect to taking off the front sight, Ray Hanson has a modified Lyman 77 front sight on his muzzleloader that comes off with a quick attach thumbscrew like a scope mount. Pretty slick idea.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    With respect to taking off the front sight, Ray Hanson has a modified Lyman 77 front sight on his muzzleloader that comes off with a quick attach thumbscrew like a scope mount. Pretty slick idea.
    Brent, could you post some pics Ray's sight? Might be something to contemplate.

Bob

Boolit Master
    Sure can. Here is one I just paid too much for
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/710627195

And here you can buy this from Lyman brand new - note it might look a big odd because I think it is very large diameter - but that might be functionally good. It is a Model 93.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ont-sight.html

It would be nice to figure out how to put a bubble level on one. I'm sort of scheming as I go.

Boolit Master
    By the way the Model 77 comes in several heights similar to what the 17a does.

Boolit Grand Master

Boz330, Look for the front sights for Small Bore and NRA High Power they use the same parallel dovetail. A lot in high power use a barrel clamp to mount it. If you have a round barrel this may work for you also, wont be traditional. My Al Story Brochardt has the parallel dovetail block and I have a Redfield international on it for now. When I get my shop up and going I may make one for it with a more traditional look.
    You might look at Champions Choice, Champions shooters supply, OK Webers. Also Anshutz, Tomkins, Redfield, RPA. are makers of them. Distant Thunder may have globes with this dovetail also.
    If I make one I'm going to put 15-20 mins angle in the dovetail to keep sight better alighned at mid to long range. When I make it Ill make 2 and let you know but will be spring time before I get started on the building.

Here is another one from a retired plumbers way making a home build adapter that will fit any dove tail
    IMG_3111 by Kurt, on Flickr

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by BrentD View Post
    Sure can. Here is one I just paid too much for
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/710627195

And here you can buy this from Lyman brand new - note it might look a big odd because I think it is very large diameter - but that might be functionally good. It is a Model 93.
    https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands...ont-sight.html

It would be nice to figure out how to put a bubble level on one. I'm sort of scheming as I go.
    Lee Shaver sells a sight that looks like a 17A that the bubble slides on to a groove after you put the inset in. The bubble might go on the dovetail. I'll have to look at mine when I get home. If you have the rear dovetail from the barrel sights I have seen a level on a dovetail that just slides that cut. Might be hard to pick up though.
    As bad as my eyes are any more, a big diameter front sight might be a blessing.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    There is a cure for bad eyesight. It's called eyeglasses. I absolutely cannot shoot without them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sharpsguy View Post
    There is a cure for bad eyesight. It's called eyeglasses. I absolutely cannot shoot without them.
    I've worn glasses since I was 3 years old, but my eyesight has gone down hill anyway in the last 12 years. The thing that has helped the most with iron sights has been going to amber lenses and regular bi-focals instead of progressive lenses for shooting.
    Hopefully my rifle will arrive at the gun shop today or tomorrow. I have my 30-40 cases and cast up some hunting boolits yesterday. In order to get a little more case capacity for hunting I ran the boolits nose first into a .401 size die with the idea of getting more boolit in the barrel. This is going to get me .300 more room in the case.
    I still have to fire form the cases and cut them to size so it might be a busy week. Fortunately my regular work falls off of the edge of the world this time of year and gives me time to think about hunting and the important things in life.

Bob

Boolit Master

Talked to MVA yesterday and their Winchester B scope with the #2 mount is good to 700yd so will make a nice silly wet and hunting scope. They don't stock them though, it is a 4 to 6 week wait so I won't be hunting with one weekend after next. If the gun doesn't get here pretty quick I may not be hunting with it anyway. I have to mount a Marbles sight I already have and fire form brass and work up a load.

Bob

Boolit Master

After what seemed like an eternity it has arrived. Spent the day yesterday fire forming and trimming to size, 30-40 brass. Should get it loaded and hopefully a decent hunting load today. Just finished mounting a Marbles tang sight.
    I am really impressed with the wood to metal fit on this rifle. Really looking forward to launching some rounds downrange.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shiloh Sharps 002.jpg   Shiloh Sharps 003.jpg   Shiloh Sharps 004.jpg  

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Scored a decent 8 point opening morning with the Shiloh. 325gr boolit over 50gr of OE 2F. Now to work up a load for the 400gr Steve Brooks mold for silhouette and mid range. A little bit of a challenge since the Marbles tang sight shot 5 inches high at a 100yd at it's lowest setting. A little practicing and I had it figured at the intermediate yardages and it hit right where I had it figured.

Bob

Good job!