MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Ear Protection

Boolit Master

Ear Protection

Do any of you use the type of electronic ear plugs while hunting? The type that allows normal (or enhanced) hearing but they will "clamp down" the gun's report to safe levels.

I usually double up when testing, plinking, target shooting etc.. with muffs over in ear plugs.

I'm thinking about protecting my hearing in a hunting situation; allowing me to hear the rustling of leaves yet, attenuation of the shot.

Additionally, does anyone use the type that the electronics are located behind the ear and if so do you think earpieces from glasses become troublesome?

I'm kind of more interested in the non-behind the ear type actually.

Any experiences (good or bad) with these types of hearing protection? I'd like to have your opinions.

TIA
    Last edited by PbHurler; 10-23-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    Bob

Boolit Master

I have two that have proven quite good at enhancement, the Howard Leight and the Peltors, both only run about $50ish. The Peltors are more sensitive and will cut out more often to things like a clap or even a finger snap, so are better for the range. The Howard Leight's seem to be better at enhancing sound, but will cut out when you fire, so are better for hunting. They are both relatively comfortable but I added the gel earcups to the Peltors because I had them already. The other thing I like about the Howard Leights is that you can connect your cell phone, with a wire, so you can still hear emergency calls but be silent.

Howard Leigh
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001T7QJ9O...d=4UL4HKDSR4WU

Peltors:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000X6I5I...=1MCNAZIN1CFNT
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy

In the ear molded to fit you, E.S.P. Have had a pair for over 4 years and they are perfect for hunting or range use. They are pricey but I skipped a few shoots to makeup for the cost. Have to remember that these are a 'life time' investment and the convenience is worth it to me. Especially with shotguns - don't hit the muffs on the shouldering of the stock. On a sporting clays course you are protected and can carry on normal conversations without having to take them out and put them back in between stations.
    http://www.espamerica.com/elite-classic

Boolit Master

I have the Peltor sport range guard that I use every weekend to shoot sporting clays. They do a great job attenuating the shot and because I'm hard of hearing enable me to hear conversations going on.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UAM0MFG/ref
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master

i have peltors, tried them hunting once. was very annoying in a slight breeze listening to the tree creak and groan.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    As a professional engineer, I have been in and around power plants and very noisy environments for decades. Always wore foam ear plugs. I still have "20/20" hearing!

When shooting, I wear ONLY excellent fit quality muffs. If high pro quality they will provde excellent protection. I have never seen the need for plugs and muffs at the same time.

I am looking into the electronics suppression muffs in the near future but have not decided on which brand.

Bottom line.......protect your hearing at ALL times, not just while shooting! I have a buddy that went deaf riding doon buggies and off-road motorcycles!

In Remembrance

Howard Leights from amazon, all the way. Great price/value. Highly recommended for anything you might need them for.
    Life Member NRA.
    Member: RWVA.http://www.appleseedinfo.org/smf/
    Member: WRSA http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/
    Founder: Guns of the Golden West (Show group).
    Founder: Nosehills Gun Club.
    Founder: IPSC in Alberta.
    Retired from Instructing, and just about everything else!

I have tinnitus. When I shoot either center fire rifle or handgun, I wear both plugs and muffs. If I don't, my tinnitus is aggravated for a couple of days.
    When I was young, I took a handgun out for a tryout and didn't know I would need hearing protection. My hearing has been poor ever since.

When looking at hearing protection - check out the Passive Noise Reduction Rating number - the Howard Leight max foam plugs (new not reused) give 33 NRR

The ESP Elite Classic gives +/- 25 dB Passive Noise Reduction Rating

Howard Leight by Honeywell Impact Pro Sound Amplification Electronic Shooting Earmuff gives 30 NRR protection but amplify range commands and other ambient sounds to a safe 82 dB, providing more natural listening and enhanced communication and, actively listens and automatically shuts off amplification when ambient sound reaches 82 dB

If you have a Cabela's they sell several in the ear for you to chose from. But you might just check with costco, sam's club or local audiologist for recommendations.

I have found the custom fit to be more comfortable overall.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Banned

What!!!!

Boolit Grand Master

Do we have to type in caps for you, lloyd??
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Another fellow for the Howard Leigh Impacts. I target shoot every week and overall a very nice set of muffs.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Because of severe tinnitus from an explosion in the early seventies,( literally in my face, it blinded me also in my left eye) I wear the foam ear plugs and also a set of Air Force surplus " jet muffs" , .45 acp is a dull thump on an indoor range, .22 is silent. I'm with ya, Banger, use those ear plugs early on in your shooting career and your hearing won't go away! Because, once it's gone, no bringing it back!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!