RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
Repackbox PBcastco

Thread: savage mark II extraction issues

Boolit Buddy

savage mark II extraction issues

I got this rifle used in a trade and its an outstanding rifle, however after about 500 rounds it started developing an extraction issue. I tried cleaning the chamber and making sure there wasn't any debri, which is hard considering the size of the chamber. However as far as I can tell so far there isn't anything in the chamber that shouldn't be. I chalked it up to the 6 cent a round ammo as it never had an issue with other ammo and this was the third or fourth ammo type I tried through the rifle. However now it is not extracting anything. I can run anything into the chamber and it seems like the extractor itself isn't grabbing the rim. I can easily slide the cases out if I can find something to grab the rim with. So I took a look at the bolt and the extractor looks like its sitting low. The cases I have the thickness of the rim is about .040 and the cut in the bolt for the case head is about .043 deep and I can slide a case into the bolt but the extractor doesn't hook it. I'm curious why the extractor would have moved back. Trying to upload a photo but it isn't working out right now.

Boolit Master
    I had the same extraction issues on my B22FVSR. Was just fine for about the first 1000 rounds. Cleaned religiously. Took the bolt apart and scrubbed it clean. Worked for about fifty rounds. Same extraction problems came back. Bad enough it wouldn't pull an unfired round out of the chamber. Chamber was clear with no carbon ring. Gave it to my dealer to send back last week. I advise you to do the same as Savage is aware of these issues.

Boolit Buddy
    I played with it a bit more last night. It seems that with the dirty subsonic ammo I was running it built up enough carbon under the extractors to have the hooks "disappear". I disassembled and cleaned everything and put more tension on the spring clip on the bolt an cycled 100 rounds through by hand with no failures to extract. I think it was the spring clip honestly. Maybe I'll call savage this week and see if they will send me one.

The 17's ( especialy) are famous for this, I had to scrub the chamber of a buddies rifle for over an hour to get it to exstract .....I have seen chambers with tool marks in them , that can hold dirt and hold a spent brass as well......scrub a dub and call savage

Boolit Master
    Is it possible on the mkii to install the extractors on the wrong sides?
    Also my friends new savage rascal the F pin would not seat rearward completely. Pushing the case just far enough forward to keep the hooks from grabbing.
    When you closed the bolt it left a small dent on the rim.
    He called savage. Sent a repair tag and off it went.
    Came back with a note. New bolt assembly and cleaned the chamber.
    Fine ever since and his kids have put 1500 rounds through it.

Boolit Man
    Mine has been doing the same thing. I too have done the clean/clean/take apart/clean. It's been working for about 20 shots this time. If I push on the bolt head next to the extractor with a plastic screwdriver tool thingamabob, I can get it to grab.
    Sounds like A call to savage is in order.

Strtspdlx: Let us know what you find out please. Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master
    Got my B22 FVSR back from Savage. Turns out it had a tight chamber. They reamed it and I put 200 rounds down it today at the range. All is well so far.

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Got my B22 FVSR back from Savage. Turns out it had a tight chamber. They reamed it and I put 200 rounds down it today at the range. All is well so far.
    Good to hear that.

Boolit Bub
    Mine has the same issue. Sent it back to Savage and they opened up the chamber. Seemed to lose a slight amount of accuracy afterward and still had issues. The extractor would skip over the rim, yet a fingernail would pull the case out. Clearly, the issue was not the chamber.

I pulled the extractor spring out and pinched it for a bit more tension. Gently filed the extractor with a slight backcut (just off square). Now it's much better. Most ammo works now.

I think a stronger spring is the real solution. Don't know if one is available or was revised at some time by Savage.

Boolit Buddy
    so I never got around to calling savage, I did send them an email back in the beginning of November but I haven't seen anything I'm my email. I took the bolt apart and reshaped the spring and cleaned the heck out of it and lubed with graphite (pencil) this time and it was good for about 600 rounds this time, now its doing the same thing. I too can pull the cases out of the chamber with a finger nail or key, the slide out smooth as can be. so I too believe its a spring issue, I may rebend the spring again and see if it goes a bit longer and if so ill be contacting savage. I do not want the chamber reamed. I don't think its a chamber issue and its an absolute tack driver with cheap blazer bulk ammo. I just need it to extract more reliably, btw it started acting up shooting cb's which usually did the track, that or Winchester m22 ammo.

Glad I found this thread. I have one I bought about two years ago from a widow that I have not shot enough for this problem to show up. Might have to ring in Christmas or the New Year with a round of paper punching.

Roy
    Hooker53