Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Pistol Brass is Best?

What Pistol Brass is Best?

I've got all kinds of range brass with different head stamps and lengths to use,but was wanting to get some new brass to work on accuracy. What brand would be a good one to buy. I know for rifle I use Lapua and wondered if this would be my best choice? It will be for 9mm if that makes a difference in choices. At least with all new,every thing would be or should be the same.

Boolit Master

I prefer Starline, perticularly in 45 ACP.

Boolit Master

Starline is now made by the same family that started the business. Consistently high quality.

Boolit Grand Master

What Pistol Brass is Best?

If I'm buying it's Starline. Even though I have buckets full of 9mm brass I'm considering buying 5k from Starline to load up the HAPs I bought.

Boolit Master
    Same here......I believe all of my 45 Colt brass is Starline.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Starline ...if you don't want to order large quanties from their website, go to Track of the Wolf that sells Starline's in smaller quantities
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Another vote for Starline, when I am purchasing new pistol brass it is always Starline.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline for my revolver

Boolit Master
    I've used mostly Remington and Winchester and some Federal for decades. I've also used Starline in three or four chamberings for the last ten years or so. I've had very good service and longevity from all brands.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe things have changed, but I quit buying Starline, because the OAL was the least consistent, compared to other major names. It has been at least ten years, so based on previous posting, maybe things have improved. If you are going for accuracy, you are probably trimming anyway, so not such an issue.

Back when I was doing serious testing for long range pistol accuracy, 200 yards, plus, I found with pistols, as with rifles, that some pistols liked some brass, better than others. I would suggest trying different brands, trimming all, and shooting for comparison in rest or benched with scope, to compare.

Boolit Buddy
    Starline for all my revolvers. Very consistent, great quality, good prices and ships fast.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master

Did someone suggest Starline yet
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

I hate to rain on everyone's parade but the brass is not the major factor in pistol accuracy. If I had several brands I would just sort by headstamp and use one brand. Primers,powder, powder charge with the bullet you are going to use is what I would concentrate on.
    Also you reloading procedures will affect accuracy as much as anything.

Boolit Mold
    At most I would sort by head stamp but I would not buy brass for pistol cartridges, at least not for accuracy reasons.
    I would use a good bullet and try some different powder charges and maybe different powders (fast, medium or slow, not 2 fast powders for example)

You will find that brass has almost no, if any, influence on accuracy at least as long as you are not shooting at extreme ranges. (25 yards or less)

Boolit Buddy
    W-W head stamped Winchester or Star Line. In 45ACP.

Dave C.
    Distinguished, Master,2600 club, President 100 badge holder.

The good stuff people leave at the range! Why anyone wouldn't reload 45 colt I don't know but that quart ziplock baggie full of 1x just left behind dumped into the trash is the "best" brass. One of these days I may buy some more new star line, it is nice brass.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Free!

Boolit Grand Master

I use a lot of starline brass. I also like ww when I can get it. a lot depends on what I'm doing. For my wax bullet 38s I used federal brass cases, these had the primer pockets converted to LP and flash holes opened to .105. (large pocket ensures they wont get loaded with regular 38 loads). Starline is good brass and reasonable in price. I have a lot of mixed brass here I use for plinking and general use.Also some that's on its last legs for use where it may be lost or the one range I shoot on that dosnt allow brass to be picked up.

Boolit Mold
    I have not had good luck with Winchester brass reloads for 38-40 revolver and rifle. I know the brass is thin, but these were conservative loads with splits between the base and shoulder. I've never had similar results with other brands.

Boolit Master
    I tend to keep Starline, Win, R-P, Fed, Speer, Blazer, and Hornady when sorting range brass. When buying I get Starline.

Curious that some like W-W, I’ve been scrapping it, maybe I’ll give it a try.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast