Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Nickle plated brass?

In Remembrance

About annealing nickle-plated brass: Lacking factory .458 WinMag brass and wanting desperately to shot a new rifle, I took 50 range pick-up R-P 7mm Rem Mag nickeled brass cases and carefully annealed then by holding the neck/shoulder area in 600 degree melted lead then dropping into room temperature water. These were loaded with 10 grains of Unique and then filled to the case mouth with Cream of Wheat cereal. They fire-formed perfectly, only loosing two cases to splits. The nickle plating on the neck area looked a bit rough and less shiny, but it was still there. These cases have been reloaded several times at "trapdoor" .45-70 power level with cast bullets with no problems or case loss to splits. I don't use them for full-power .458 Mag loads but they work fine for reduced lead practice rounds and being thinner, seal better at reduced pressure.

Boolit Master
    ( VERDIGRIS ) translates to VERDI- GREEN- GRIS- GREASE! voila, now you know the rest of the story! and it is green and terry greasy!.

Boolit Master
    sorry for the misspelling-very, not terry greasy.

Boolit Bub
    Has anyone tried coating the leather that comes in contact with the bullet to prevent or slow the verdigris formation on unplated brass? That may be a doable project. Something like clear silicone applied with a q-tip might do the trick.
    Last edited by GunStuff; 01-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.

Boolit Master
    GRIS has nothing to do with GREASE. The root of the word means "gray'.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    We make DIY SilNylon (or SilSilk etc.) by dissolving Silicone sealant in mineral spirits and then soaking the cloth in that solution, then letting it evaporate off, you end up with a waterproof very light fabric. (SilNylon is used in ultralight hiking and for hammock flys etc.)

I'd think SilLeather may not be "authentic old west" gear but it might work

Boolit Master

I have a box of Winchester "John Wayne" thurty-thurty's with the silvertip boolit and nickle case. It sure do look purty.....and I will probably fire them on WTSHTF weekend. It may come to your neighborhood soon.

IF we have a nation wide power loss that last more than a few days things are gonna get really ugly really fast. Within the first four days all the stores will have nothing to sell in the food or supermarkets area. Gas and Diesel ditto. Civil discontent will rise and then things will get interesting.....
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of as-yet-to-be-loaded .250 Savage cases that are nickel plated. Any idea whether it will last longer/have fewer split necks if I anneal it first?

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    ...snip...I'd think SilLeather may not be "authentic old west" gear but it might work
    If you want authentic old west gear you probably want verdigris on your cases, no?

Boolit Master
    They do it to appeal to those of us who suffer from ADOS, Attention Deficit...Ooooh, Shiny syndrome. Seeing silver instead of brass really diverts the attention!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GunStuff View Post
    Has anyone tried coating the leather that comes in contact with the bullet to prevent or slow the verdigris formation on unplated brass? That may be a doable project. Something like clear silicone applied with a q-tip might do the trick.

Ballistol will treat the leather and neutralize the acidic tannin in it. Actually, it is the "additives" in the pure mineral oil base which do the work. It will also treat the holster so your gun won't corrode.

That is the good news. The bad news is it will darken the leather. If you don't mind, then all is good....charlie

Like shiny fishing lures they get attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I have a box of Winchester "John Wayne" thurty-thurty's with the silvertip boolit and nickle case. It sure do look purty.....and I will probably fire them on WTSHTF weekend. It may come to your neighborhood soon.

IF we have a nation wide power loss that last more than a few days things are gonna get really ugly really fast. Within the first four days all the stores will have nothing to sell in the food or supermarkets area. Gas and Diesel ditto. Civil discontent will rise and then things will get interesting.....
    Well that's a Debbie Downer thought (wahwahwah)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I have bought 223 nickel brass to make 6x45 cases out of. Easy to tell at a glance if the case is a 223 or a 6x45.

As stated the nickel plated handgun brass lasts fine but I've had Remington and Winchester rifle brass crack necks after a few loads. I don't use it unless I have to for rifle loads.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I had a Martini in 22 Ackley Jet a couple years ago. I annealed nickel Federal 357 mags used 4
    steps to neck them down a major PIA. I did 100 nickel & 100 brass. Most nickel cases only lasted
    fire form and 2 loadings before I had neck splitting problems. The brass casings I only lost 4/100
    and loaded them over 6 times before I traded gun.

Boolit Master
    GRIS, excuse me, what about VERDI, am i wrong there two? it is green and very greasy.

Boolit Master
    So, urban legend?

Did nickle brass first get produced so people could tell the difference between .357 Mag and .38 spl loads?

Boolit Master
    Most nickeled rifle brass is nothing but a marketing tool.
    If you do not reload BPCR or hunt in a rain forest the nickel does not have any function.
    EDG

all i know is they're stiffer than brass,thus they roll rough in my 650.are harder on the resizing dies(while
    they don't require much resizing if the loads used are low-medium) , the lever gets hard because harder case walls resist more in the expander die.....and are also not as
    friendly as brass on SOME specific extractors. i simply collect them and may exchange them for brass.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast