RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: PC came off bullet when shot

Boolit Mold

PC came off bullet when shot

I am new to this game and my 10mm auto bullets didn't seem to coat evenly with HF red. Shot a few into some half rotten firewood and recovered a couple. About 80% of powder coat was missing and they were deformed somewhat. Is this normal? Am pretty sure my PC didn't stick well as some of it came off when going through the sizing die.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Check for gease on your boolits and/or fingers.

Check your oven with a separate accurate oven thermometer for 450F. DO NOT trust the controls on cheap little ovens. They are off as much as 75F. Find what dial setting gives 450 and mark it on the front of the oven and use that from now on. Convection style ovens are the best.

Also check your cure time. At least 10 min @ 450F. Start timing AFTER the powder is all glossy in the oven.

HF red has worked for me for many years with ZERO problems. You should be able to pound your coated slug into a cube and the powder coating will still be on there.

Banger

Banned
    Welcome to CB Smokin Gun

I mostly agree with BJ
    the primary cause of failure is improper heat.
    I will get 2 cheap kitchen thermometers < $3 ea, and set them in the middle of the shelf I bake on.
    The adjust the oven temperature until both ovens read 400* (I'm not sure where BJ got 450)
    Then mark the oven dial or oven where the temp needs to be set to obtain 400*
    You can cover the bottom of your oven with heat retaining material to help the oven return to temperature faster, I use ceramic BBQ briquettes, others use firebrick, pieces of metal or ?
    I've had good luck (most PC manufacturers recommend) 15 min @ 400* (you could go 10 min after the PC (powder coat) melts.
    After the baked boolits have cooled do the smash test, the boolit should flatten or cube without chipping.
    HF red works but there are much easier powders to work with.
    Smoke4320 http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...owder-For-sale
    is a Vendor Sponsor on this site and sell powder that works much better than HF powders with a good selection of colors.
    many of us prefer using a convection oven because the air circulation gives even heating and several of us have the ovens regulated by a PID controller.
    You can find answers to most of your questions by searching here or on google. If you can't find what you're looking for by all means ask. IF one of us can't answer you're question, there probably isn't an answer.

Boolit Mold
    I have some of Smoke's powders arriving tomorrow. Am curious to see if I can do better.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/atta...8&d=1508513083
    HF red from 308 that hit steel plate. Coating still on it. Yes, the PC scrubs off a little going down the barrel, depends on the roughness in the bore. I assume shake & bake, make sure it's 400F for proper time (15 min AC). A little over temp doesn't seem to hurt the HF stuff any. Make sure sizer is free of grease/lube if sizing first. Also note that shock will knock off some PC at the target. Basically, if accuracy is there without leading, don't sweat it.
    Whatever!

I have noticed a difference between what type of media the PC'd boolit impacts and if PC comes off. It sounds very counter intuitive but I can shoot PC'd boolits into dirt and gravel and retain almost all the PC, shoot those same boolits into ballistics gel and lots of PC comes off.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Gun View Post
    I have some of Smoke's powders arriving tomorrow. Am curious to see if I can do better.
    It will

Boolit Master

Attachment 206527

Lee 309-200 fired from my K31 at approx. 1800 fps recovered from dirt berm after passing through 5/8" particle board target backer. Lyman #2 alloy and Smoke's Carolina Blue.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	206530

Smokes red with 6 g of trail boss using a 263g GC'd devistator with ACCOWW with 2% pewter with a BH of 14.3 out of a 44 mag nite guard after going through two wood pallets and found laying on the ground next to them.

Views:	22 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	206531Click image for larger version. 

Views:	21 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	206532

His blue loaded with 35.5 g of h110 using a Lee 300g FN WQCOWW GC with a BH of 15 out of a 450 bushmaster ruger American recovered behind the 100 yard target in the dirt after hitting a rock.

The GC didn't make the trip.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-24-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Name:	45 ACP,230 gr 1000 fps, 3,16 steel plate, 75 yds.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	206611 If it is cured right it stays on at impact, this a 45acp PC Kawasaki green on steel at 225 ft, 230 gr from Hi Point carbine at 1000fps, W231 does leave soot on the base.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Mold
    The powder and BB's I ordered from smoke arrived and I tried a batch of 9mm and 10mm in JD Green. I could tell when I opened the cool whip bowl lid after shaking them that I was now in business! They coated evenly and looked like pics I see on this forum. Baked them and I was impressed. Waited 48 hours and ran through sizing die and none of the PC came off. Will let them sit 5-7 days and shoot and report back. For kicks, I retried the HF Red using the BB's smoke sent me and only 1tsp of powder and they looked way better than my first try. I see that I put way too much powder in bowl on first attempt and less is more apparently.

Boolit Mold
    Well I built a bullet trap and shot some of my 10mm JD Green PC bullets using Smoke's PC. Shot them into a barrel of sand at 20 yards and this is the result. About 90% of PC remained on the bullets after penetrating 12 inches of sand. Hope the pic comes through.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jd green 10mm.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	207061

Banned
    There ain't nothing wrong with that. Good job SG

They are lookin good now.

We all seem to have to practice a little before it works.

Boolit Buddy
    do they size easier after applying PC? i am planning on PC some 45-70s i cast and they are a bear to size.
    ROF....Retired Old Fart
    Lincoln freed the slaves, obama freed the terrorists
    the wishbone will never replace the backbone

Banned

the extra size will make it worse.