Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 45-70 vs Pumpkin... i lost

Quote Originally Posted by crackers View Post
    "After emptying a box of shot shells she generally feels more human."
    I don't think the water has an effect, I see it as a 12ga massage.
    Actually... I think you're right. But she loves the visual effects too.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Velocity is your friend for exploding produce.5 A lemon hit with a 22-250 will vanish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Yea? Tell me something that ISNT illegal in California. You gave no indication you were in the land of the oppressed.
    1)The government harboring illegal aliens. 2)Infringing on the 2nd amendment.

Al, you can go to a softer alloy with that flat point. Or, change bullets to something like the 457-122 HP in softer lead too. Or, change rifles to a bottleneck for some more velocity. A 30-30 factory round might be the bar to set other bullet/cartridge performance by.
    Chill Wills

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, them punkins kin be pretty tough suckers!
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Load that Marlin up with a 540 gr at 1500 fps and shoot a big animal in the center of the chest. Or maybe 20 pumpkins lined up and see how it performs.

Boolit Master
    Dangerous things pumpkins, can attack at any time.need big boolits for them.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	download.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	206467

Here's how you kill pumpkins.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Your pumpkin didn't have a tight fitting top.
    Get a 1 gal. milk jug with the cap , fill it, up to the tippy top with H2o and screw on the cap. Then shoot it. My kids still remember me doing that to show them what a bullet can do. We were having safety lessons.
    Don't hollow out the pumpkin. Shoot it whole....a water melon will work also.

Basically it sounds like you had a open pail ( the hollow pumpkin) , filled it with water and shot it , as you saw not much happens with an open pail.
    The pumpkin didn't get you , you just forgot to screw a lid on it. Containment is what causes the water to rip the target apart...you simply lacked containment.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by buckshotshoey View Post
    Yea? Tell me something that ISNT illegal in California. You gave no indication you were in the land of the oppressed.
    Voting Democrat is legal....I think !
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I'm with the people that suggested not full enough. Water has to transfer shockwave and pressure to pumpkin, air space will allow for a "shock absorber" effect I would think. While hollow point might be more impressive I would think a flat point would still deliver significant force. Try the full water bottle with cap on tight, that should tell you if the bullet/velocity are able to yield a bursting force.

Don't open the pumpkin much, Just enough to get a funnel in to fill it with water to the top. Possibly a larger opening could act as a pressure relief valve.

I wouldn't say you lost to the pumpkin. After all a double tap to insure pumpkin demise seems within the parameters of you win pumpkin loses.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Many have mentioned the full plastic gallon jug as a target. I will never forget shooting one with a 200gr .350 Rem Mag Factory load on a calm humid July morning. There was a spray with pieces of jug, sort of a mist and a cloud of vapor that floated away...
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? (Sgt. Oddball, KELLY'S HEROES)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________
    my feedback thread
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, what they said! You either need much more velocity or a giant HP boolit. I vote for giant HP! That FP will sale right on through without making much disturbance as you've found out.

I occasionally like to blow stuff up and HP's do a wonderful job where solids do not. The pumpkin itself has little resistance so the water is what will cause the HP to expand... or at least for the most part in my experience.

Now if you were trying to stop a bear the 405 gr. FP is the way to go.

Boolit Buddy
    I once used a full throttle load with a 300 H&H and one of those huge HP Speer 130 grain bullets on a small watermelon to demonstrate the effect. It was an eye opener to the new shooter.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Man
    a lot of you guys i think were right on the money and its easy to think about now that you pointed it out. Air space in the pumpkin cushioned the water from expanding outwards. I didnt fill it to the top as i only went up to 85% full. Top was not hollow, i cut a hole and placed the piece back onto the pumpkin. 2nd attempt i'll cut a hole from the top so that i can reach the max volume and ill bring two sets of loads. Same as last time using unique 1100fps and a new load using 50gr of Varget on the 457-405gr FP. That bullet should reach near 1700fps from lyman load data.

Banned
    Milk jugs full of water "blow up better with faster projectiles don't know if this is true for pumpkins.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	great-pumpkin-charlie-brown-pumpkin-patch.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	206512
    Is it true that they shoot pumpkins?
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Man

Not enough powder! Try 32 grains of Accurate Arms 5744 with your 400 grain bullet. The result will be pumpkin parts and pieces. I've shot this load for 5 years in my Taylor Arm's Quigley with scary results.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Engineer1911 View Post
    Not enough powder! Try 32 grains of Accurate Arms 5744 with your 400 grain bullet. The result will be pumpkin parts and pieces. I've shot this load for 5 years in my Taylor Arm's Quigley with scary results.

i only have unique, h335 and varget to work with.

We used to shoot cull watermelons and canteloupes with whatever we had. Found out quickly to stay a good bit away if using anything over 3000 fps and even farther for 4000 fps loads! Gallagher and his "Sledgeomatic" have nothing on a 22-250 or .220 Swift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    MORE SPEED , 223 55gr soft points at 3200fps makes for impressive visuals on water jugs

we sold pumpkins when I was younger , any that wern't looking so good we took back to the shop and shot out back , but we only had access to our deer guns at the time , 12ga slugs even at 1600fps are rather unimpressive on pumpkins so after a few we just tossed them out back for the deer to eat.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast