Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Liquid Gold ??

Liquid Gold ??

Wow !! ...
    was reading back from the start in Ben's sticky on the Johnson's wax and clicked on his original link to Amazon ...
    they have 8 cans left from what they say ... and they are "GOLD PLATED" cans !!! for the price they are asking !
    Almost speechless here , as I just picked up a couple of cans for just over eleven dollars each at a hardware store .
    the last two.
    I must be misreading maybe , some one here verify the price please ...
    Link:
    https://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-Fi...=1416146546243
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master
    I bought my stash (2 cans) a couple of years ago at a regular hardware store. As I recall, the price was $11 each. Looks like these are marked up to 10 times that, then "discounted". I understand there are other waxes that work just fine. It's good stuff-- but not that good.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Lol, glad i picked up what i could find while it was being discontinued before the price gouging started.

I've used nothing but 3 coats of BLL lube on my rifle boolits for well over a year now and love the performance.
    However, if i ever run out of the Johnson's liquid wax, i've got plenty of Johnson's paste wax to make Ben's Red with before paying those kinds of prices lol.

I get the same great performance from either of Ben's lubes!

I've been meaning to try the Lundmark wax to make a batch of BLL to compare to the original JLW recipe, as i know for sure how the JLW in BLL performs in my rifle. It wouldn't take me long at all to see how the Lundmark wax stacks up against it.
    I have plenty of JLW on hand though, so i keep procrastonating about doing it.

I still keep my eyes open for JLW in every hardware and salvage type store i happen to go in. There's still some out there, as you recently proved.

Boolit Grand Master

Guess I'm rich.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Guess I'm rich.
    You beat me by a hundred dollars ....

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    What ever happened to using Johnson's PASTE wax in the round flat can? Nothing in a spray can is 75% vehicle/solvent and you are wasting your money.

I get my JPW for shop use at Lowe's. I use it for a bunch of things in my shop.......just not making greasy boolit lubes.

Moderator Emeritus

This discontinued Johnson "One step" no buff wax is in liquid form, (non-aerosol).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I don't use that liquid johnsons stuff, but use the paste wax for both Recluses lube recipe & my pan lube concoction. They work just fine for me...
    I realize that you folks really like that Johnsons liquid so much that ya stashed it, due to no longer being made. I think that was a good idea.

But... If I had some stashed like some of you, and it was going for 95 frogskins instead of about $9, I would be selling what I had of the johnsons & using the lundmark ( if it does as good as the johnsons), or convert to the johnsons paste wax at about $9 each and use the extra frogskins to buy something else.

An example is that pic worth about 2200+ frogskins or so at the rate listed in the link. One could buy 23 cans of lundmark ( or even that paste wax) for about 230 bucks & still have $2000+ to buy a couple,few, or one really expensive firearm. Even a Magna Caster & some molds... One heckuva swaging setup...

If anyone is willing to pay that much for a can of wax, & I had some, then I am willin to sell. [" A fool & his money are soon parted" -Thos. Tusser]

LOL

But... That is just "me". Everyone is different.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Okay gentlemen ...
    My response to Dragon was in jest ...
    For those of us who have been using Ben's "BLL" ... it has proven itself very well , we like the simplicity of it as well as it's performance in pistol and rifle .
    We thought well enough of it that when the word came out of it being discontinued , we went and stocked up on what we could find.
    As in life , it is all in the timing ... other individuals getting involved would like to try it but ...
    We are all different in our outlook in this pursuit we enjoy so much , " horse people , computer people and us gun people ,a hundred different opinions on the same subject"
    At the prices they show , I think those bottles will stay on the shelf for museum purposes .
    Ben has done his work on the other available lubes and they seem to do just as well.
    thank you
    Digger

Boolit Master

Rah rah rah. Yea Ben.
    He invents great stuff.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    What ever happened to using Johnson's PASTE wax in the round flat can? Nothing in a spray can is 75% vehicle/solvent and you are wasting your money.
    No we are not. The properties of BLL are better than 45/45/10. BLL is not greasy when dry, it dries hard. There is a very long thread about it.

I'm with Dragon.

BLL just plain works, and done right has a hard finish.

When my JOS is gone then we'll see about experimenting with paste wax and mineral spirits. But that could be decades from now. Little goes a long long way.

Boolit Master
    High priced listings on Amazon don't necessarily mean sales. There is tons of stuff on eBay, Amazon, Gunbroker, Abebooks and most other sites with sky-high prices that never sells.

I have 48 cans stashed.... No body in Alaska seemed to be buying it...I bought it all on clearance from home depot and Lowe's stores in the anchorage area when they discontinued it a few years ago... I think I've used half a can and Lubed thousands of boolits.......

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
    "Remember the Range Day and keep it Holy. May the light of the Holy Tracer guide thy aim!"

NRA Benefactor Member

Anchorage, Alaska

I use it on my my mothers table and have put on a bunch of coats. Anything, including putting your elbow on table leaves a totally dull area. Any dish with any kind of heat does the same even thru layers of protection. I don't understand how poorly it works. Drys shiny but unusable.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I have 4 cans stashed, but darned if I see anyway to use it all up! I can only hope to live so long and shoot so much! Lol , plus pc, and hi tek so we good to go! Just yesterday I coated some wc's lubed with magma red to " lock" the lube in! Overkill? Maybe, but I bet they won't lead the barrel of my .38!!!! It's so easy to make, and use, I'll never be without some BLL! Just my .02.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!