Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Lee mold problem.....

Boolit Master

Lee mold problem....."FIXED"

How do I fix a Lee mold that the steel pins keep moving into
    the mold block? It's a 358 125 gr RNFP that works very well
    in my 9mm's, but has been giving me fits the last time I used
    it. The boolets come out of the mold out of round and also the
    vertical is out of line too. Thanks for any info.
    Denny
    Last edited by leadhead; 11-03-2017 at 03:31 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Drill and tap for a set screw. Or if holes are close enough to a noncritical side - remove pins and hit the side over the hole with a center punch. Has worked for me in the past.

Boolit Master
    This can happen if you failed to heat cycle the molds and let the pins get settled in, or if you are not careful to align the blocks a bit and the pins hit the opposing holes out of alignment. Closing the mold blocks gently while resting on a flat surface will help avoid this problem. You might also want to check to see if the blocks are a little lose on the handles and not really loose and floppy.

Once you have the block fit issue resolved, gently tap the pins back into place with the blocks cool so you can handle them. Check for an air gap between the blocks and adjust the pins so that is removed. Then you can either stake the pins in place, or go the easy way with some thinned LLA in the mold block hole and let it seep in around the pin in the block. Heat it up to casting temp and let it cool down. Add a little LLA and repeat. Basically you are just gluing the pins in place, but the LLA will still allow some adjustment if really needed. Staking the pins might drive the pin deeper and that is not really what you need. I know it is cheap and very low tech, not to mention sloppy but is does work for some. Just do not beat on them because anyone can screw up an aluminum mold, regardless of who made it. Dusty

Boolit Master

I've been using this mold for a couple of years and never had a problem till now.
    I ran the heat cycle when it was new and I don't treat my molds rough. I've been
    casting for over 50 years. Question... what is LLA? Thanks for the replies.
    Denny

Boolit Man
    Lee liquid alox, tumble lube

Boolit Master

Thank you Lazy.......
    Denny

Boolit Master

Thank you Lazy.......
    Denny

Boolit Master
    Center punch

Boolit Master
    I'm having same problem with a lee mold 309-170-f darn pins keep drifting until they fall out. Probably gonna wish that I didn't do what I did but here goes, took pin laid it in a vee block then took my centre punch and proceeded to strawberry the circumference of the pin then liberally applied permanent thread locker to it and drifted it back in. Will it be a good thing I don't know but it could not get any worse its no good the way it is, it only a 20 dollar mould and a new window for my shop will be a lot more than that when I come unglued and fire it out, it's true ya pay little and it cost's lots next mould will be a custom.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

Lee mold problem....."FIXED"

Well, I fixed my Lee mold....The pin fell out and I tested it to see how hard it was.
    I thought it would be very hard but it was kind of soft. I replaced the pin to where
    I was getting no movement from the blocks and everything was lined up...Then I
    drilled a hole from the bottom of the mold and halfway thru the pin and tapped it
    for a 8-32 set screw.... There's no way the pin can move now. Took about 15 min.
    to fix...Throws better bullets now than when it was new.
    Denny
    Last edited by leadhead; 11-03-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    My lee 44/250 had the pins come out too.Lucky they didnt get lost,cause I didnt notice straight away.As mentioned ,if lubed with bulletlube,beeswax/moly grease/castoroil,the lube eventually burns into a solid and glues them in.Its a great mold,bullets just drop ,many Lees need a good rap,not this one.