RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .308 cast boolit weight?

Boolit Master

.308 cast boolit weight?

I am wondering what the best cast boolit weight would be for a Savage heavy barreled rifle in .308 with a 1 in 10 twist? These would most likely be powder-coated and shot at 100 yards max. for recreational purposes.

Specific mold recommendations from NOE and Lee would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Banned

150-165-170-180.
    either of the lee's do fine in the 308.

powder coated..? well,,, I'd look at a new undersized as usual lyman.

I’ve had good luck with the lee 314-185 and check and sized to .309 with good accuracy

Kinda hard to find a boolit in the 150-220gr range that does not shoot well in the .308
    Lots of options......
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Thanks so much. In that case I will probably buy the 155 grain Lee in the six cavity and a 180 grain NOE. Has anybody tried the NOE 180 grain hollow-point mold?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Master

I've had real good luck with the Lee 312-155 GC pointed bullet in my MVP @ 100 yd.
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee View Post
    I've had real good luck with the Lee 312-155 GC pointed bullet in my MVP @ 100 yd.
    Good to know the lighter boolit weights work well. A friend of mine likes his MVP in .556 very much.

You have all given me much to think about and I appreciate all the help.

exile

Boolit Master
    I did a pound cast of my Howa's .308 chamber and the throat was .312. That said, I got a 198 gr spire point from NOE and couldn't be happier. I was using a 180 gr from Accurate sized at .310 and it worked well, but not as well at the 198 gr NOE. I think that the sizing had more to do with the outcome than the mold.

That Lee .312-155gr works really well in my .308 with 2400 and SR4759
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

It's hard to beat the lee 6-cavity molds for the 30cal's. I use/shoot a lot of the lee 160-312's in my 1 in 10 and 1 in 11 30cal's.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I pc this bullet and use mostly pistol powders for 1600fps to 1800fps loads.

Another bullet that does extremely well in the 1 in 10 twist 308's is the m1 carbine bullet. Different mold makers have their own version of this bullet. I use a cramer mold/version of that bullet with almost any pistol powder. The cramer #50 pc'd/10-shot group @ 50yds with a 1 in 10 twist 308(stinkin flier).
    [IMG][/IMG]

The little 30cal bullets save on lead and are just as accurate as their larger counterparts.

Boolit Master
    Every rifle barrel has a different personality. I have a Rem. 308 that shoots a number of 150's and 160's very well with several powders but my Mossberg 308 with the same twist (1/10) won't shoot any of the Rem. loads worth a darn but wants something new a little hotter (a work in progress) it would appear. Keep an open mind and be willing to think outside the box. In your case, I would limit your investment and try two Lee molds - the 160 RNGC and the 180 RNGC - then with one powder and one lube, start a ladder with each starting at 1500 fps and work up to 2100 fps. Once you have a feel for things, add another variable one at a time. You have embarked on an adventure with a lot of trigger time. Good fun and it is called the scientific method. I have always thought everyone on this board is a scientist at heart.
    Last edited by quilbilly; 10-23-2017 at 12:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Every rifle barrel has a different personality. I have a Rem. 308 that shoots a number of 150's and 160's very well with several powders but my Mossberg 308 with the same twist (1/10) won't shoot any of the Rem. loads worth a darn but wants something new a little hotter (a work in progress) it would appear. Keep an open mind and be willing to think outside the box. In your case, I would limit your investment and try two Lee molds - the 160 RNGC and the 180 RNGC - then with one powder and one lube, start a ladder with each starting at 1500 fps and work up to 2100 fps. Once you have a feel for things, add another variable one at a time. You have embarked on an adventure with a lot of trigger time. Good fun and it is called the scientific method. I have always thought everyone on this board is a scientist at heart.
    Good advice quillbilly, scientists, poets, patriots, men of faith, we will probably need to be all those things in the days ahead.

exile

Boolit Master
    150/160/180 Lee molds all work in my 308 savage .2400 is my choice of powder no fillers around 18 grains of powder

Boolit Master
    Is a gas check needed on a powder-coated boolit? Would the uniformity the gas check provides to the base of the boolit contribute to accuracy?

exile

The jacketed bench shooters seem to prefer 168gr sierras (or SMK) for accuracy so I chose the 31-165A (RNFP - that was designed by a couple guys here to fit the 308W) that works very well in my LR308 1:10 HBAR. For PC I modified it to the 31-165C. Last week I got to shoot @ 200, steel target and BDC scope = tad over 2". Not bad considering you are trying to center a circle on a circle. BC is higher than I thought, ~0.37 vs the 0.33 I assumed. The pointier boolits will give better BC but are harder for me to seat (flat seater plug). These are GC but I shoot a similar (145gr) PB PC'd (2100 fps) in the BO rifle with good accuracy @ 100 1.5 MOA. If punching paper for score I'd go with GC and pointy 160-170 boolits. For hunting possibility, choose the RNFP, just easier to work with. My alloy is 3-4% Sb with 1/2% Cu - just the Sb does work fine. Actually I have the 31-165A 4x Al. I'd sell for a reasonable price.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

In my .308 (1:10 twist) I shoot a 180gr cast sized 0.309...I don't find the heavier 200-220 grain bullets as accurate as the 180gr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    So, I purchased the NOE .312 160 grain fn (Ed Harris) mold in four cavity aluminium, two gas check, two plain base. I have had my eye on this mold for several years. Is this what they call a bore-riding design? What do you think?

exile

Banned

if it is cut properly yes and no.
    it will have a short bore ride section, but the greater part of the bullet will be groove filler.

Boolit Buddy
    Another vote here for Lee 312-155. They work great powder coated in my 300 blackout.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by exile View Post
    I am wondering what the best cast boolit weight would be for a Savage heavy barreled rifle in .308 with a 1 in 10 twist? These would most likely be powder-coated and shot at 100 yards max. for recreational purposes.

Specific mold recommendations from NOE and Lee would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

exile
    I have had good results using the Lee 200 gr GCed and PCed and neck sized. Arsenal also makes a 200 gr that is designed for PC that is extremely accurate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast