Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Went to a local gun show today

Boolit Grand Master

Went to a local gun show today

Son and I went to a local clubs gun show today, its a small show and I know a few of the people there so its always good even f just to catch up. My little Geo tracker chair did excellent in the club house.
    I did well picked up a set of rem 44-40 3 die steel die set ( $15.00) and a lymann check weight set ($10.00) My son picked up a cv .50 cal inline ($125.00) and a ruger bolt rifle in 300 black out ($325.00) with scope. The seller claimed this rifle was won in a raffle and never fired. Both are good clean rifles and in very good shape.
    Since I was "motorized" I got to carry everything LOL. The small stuff went in the carry pouch under the seat and was forgotten the rifles rested on the foot rest between my feet and leaned against the seat Actually worked pretty good. Seen a few friends and talked to others Was a good day.
    Several interesting items were there that caught my eye. There was a nice highwall in 22-250 with what I would call a medium heavy barrel rifle was around 10Lbs. Original Win high wall most of the case hardening still showed clearly blueing was in good shape unertal blocks on it but no scope. Another was a High wall in 22 long rifle in very good shape and a lymann 15X target spot on top. Wood needed cleaned up but metal was very clean. These were both around the $3000.00 mark though.
    In reloading equipment a lot of moulds lee lyman ohaus and nei but nothing I needed. A powder Scales caught my eye that was very unique, A herters analytical ballistic laboratory scales. All cast iron construction and heavy probably 10-15 lbs. it was wider than most scales. No knife edghes and vee berings. the beam had a fine wire thru it wirth a small spring on one side providing tension. Normall beam Like the old redding and other scales though. and oil dampened. On the pointer end there was a small lever that stopped dampened the beam from swinging and it really did work well. Set a small weight in it and pulled lever down to catch the beam let it go and inside 3 seconds the beam was still and correct with out the oil. The asking price for this scales was $75.00. There was an Ohaus powder measure new old stock still in the box with instructions and very clean a nice looking measure. Hopper looked to hold 1 1/2 lbs powder and was clean clear no cracks of discoloration. Was an old Lymann pot missing cord and some of the valve parts, Gentleman aid it worked and he would make a good deal on it. Several herters presses the big heavy c presses had rams for universal shell holders. One was $45.00 the other was $100.00. Several rock chuckers on tables along with a few lee presses and equipment. There was a unique turret press flush mount with a big heavy square bases ide handle and linkage inside the base, 6 hole turret. I didn't see a price on this one.
    All in all it was a nice day with my son and we had a great day. Saw some friends and made some new aquaintences.

Boolit Master

Great day!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master

Nice day

Nice write up,was right there with you.

Was this by any chance at Gibsonburg??? Their sporting club has a gunshow that is usually very interesting.

Denny

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it was, I shoot their BPCR shilouettes matches also. They have a nice little show with good bargins still available.

Sounds like a good way to spend a day with your son. I still like still hunting through a nice little gun show.

Boolit Master

By the sounds of it you had a day to remember. Great to be able to spend it with your son. Nice write up.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Mold
    I love small shows usually see stuff that you always see .

Boolit Master
    Hard to beat father-son time like that.

If the money tree was a lot bigger and I wasn't looking at putting 2 kids through college in the very near future, I'd love to have a fancy Model '85 (Creedmoor configuration) in 45-90.

I'm somewhat knowledgeable about the Winchester repeaters, but not so much with the Model '85. Not sayin' it was never done, but I don't recall hearing of a 'high wall' chambered for rim-fire ammo. From what little I've read, low walls were chambered for rim-fire and pistol cartridges and high walls were chambered for larger and/or higher velocity cartridges.
    If I'm wrong here, please educate me.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Yes it was, I shoot their BPCR shilouettes matches also. They have a nice little show with good bargins still available.
    I was there with a couple of friends this morning. The gentleman that had 6-7 tables of casting stuff got a few of my $$. Didn't catch his name but we had a good conversation for awhile. I can't recall the last time I saw a selection of good used equipment like he had.

Denny

Boolit Grand Master

The 22 rimfire was a custom built rifle judging by the barrel dia, metal work wood grade fit and finish. The table wddodge mentions was the one with the old lyman pot mentioned. He is a friendly nice gentleman and we talked some also. I was looking for a 210-220 round nosed 44 cal mould for a 44-40 I'm planning on. Found the dies set but no mould sizing dies or cases.
    Denny did you see the turret press I mentioned it was in the north west corner of the club house. Nice gentleman with the 22-250 High wall. I wish I had looked at it closer now.

Banned

Glad you had a good day. I still like small town gun shows.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Hard to beat father-son time like that.

If the money tree was a lot bigger and I wasn't looking at putting 2 kids through college in the very near future, I'd love to have a fancy Model '85 (Creedmoor configuration) in 45-90.

I'm somewhat knowledgeable about the Winchester repeaters, but not so much with the Model '85. Not sayin' it was never done, but I don't recall hearing of a 'high wall' chambered for rim-fire ammo. From what little I've read, low walls were chambered for rim-fire and pistol cartridges and high walls were chambered for larger and/or higher velocity cartridges.
    If I'm wrong here, please educate me.
    Winchester used the high wall receiver for about any caliber if a #3 or larger barrel was ordered. I've owned a high wall factory chambered in 22 Long (not even LR!) and at my schuetzen match this past weekend a friend showed up with a "deluxe sporter" high wall with DSTs and #3 barrel chambered in 22 Short! Don't forget that back then there were also commonly available rim fire cartridges in 25, 30, 32, 38, & even 44.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Denny did you see the turret press I mentioned it was in the north west corner of the club house. Nice gentleman with the 22-250 High wall. I wish I had looked at it closer now.
    Nope, I missed that one. I did notice some of the rifles you mentioned. Really nice looking. I looked at several but nothing reached out and grabbed me. What catches my eye more that casting equipment are smallbore target rifles. I see the G82 Kimbers around but not much else.

Denny

Boolit Master
    There was a unique turret press flush mount with a big heavy square bases ide handle and linkage inside the base, 6 hole turret. I didn't see a price on this one.
    Sounds like a Texan Loadmaster, pic of mine. Wish I could go to show like that, sounds like fun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loading 460365E.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	206444
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

texassako, the one I saw had a square/rectangular post everything ran on in the back and the turret was mounted to it

Boolit Master
    Thanks for that education Froggie. Always eager to benefit from the knowledge and experience of others. Plus, I have a soft spot for all things Winchester.

I do have a pretty rough looking low wall that someone re-chambered for 218 Bee.

Did know that some of the early pistol and rifle cartridges were rim-fire. My father actually converted an original Henry to 44-40 center-fire.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Moderator Emeritus

SNIP...
    A herters analytical ballistic laboratory scales. All cast iron construction and heavy probably 10-15 lbs. it was wider than most scales. No knife edghes and vee berings. the beam had a fine wire thru it wirth a small spring on one side providing tension. Normall beam Like the old redding and other scales though. and oil dampened. On the pointer end there was a small lever that stopped dampened the beam from swinging and it really did work well. Set a small weight in it and pulled lever down to catch the beam let it go and inside 3 seconds the beam was still and correct with out the oil.
    That's sounds very interesting.

Glad you and your son had a good day at the show.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

A square post almost sounds like then Harpster & Williams. That would be a real find.
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast