RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Went to a local gun show today

Sounds like a nice time, think you saw more reloading and casting equipment in that one show than I have seen in the last 6 shows I went to. If it wasn't for one fellow that sells Lee equipment and Jerry of Reloader World with components the casting and reloading offerings would be too few to notice.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    The gun clubs and arms associations hold shows to display and sell guns and related stuff. They’ve almost been driven out of business by the show promoters, whose prime directive is to sell table space. They grab up the buildings and the good weekends, chasing the less well funded clubs away. The Good Stuff is diluted with Beef Jerky, Glassware, Bedsheets and people who ask me, “Are you in any pain, Sir?”

Yes, I am. And don’t make me tell you why.

Of late, we have a guy who wanders around the shows with a sign that says “I’m a Gunsmith. How can I help?” The Gun Show equivalent of the Homeless Guy with the sign that says “Will Work For Food,” I guess.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    The gun clubs and arms associations hold shows to display and sell guns and related stuff. They’ve almost been driven out of business by the show promoters, whose prime directive is to sell table space. They grab up the buildings and the good weekends, chasing the less well funded clubs away. The Good Stuff is diluted with Beef Jerky, Glassware, Bedsheets and people who ask me, “Are you in any pain, Sir?”

Yes, I am. And don’t make me tell you why.

Of late, we have a guy who wanders around the shows with a sign that says “I’m a Gunsmith. How can I help?” The Gun Show equivalent of the Homeless Guy with the sign that says “Will Work For Food,” I guess.
    I find it hard to believe that a gunsmith would have trouble finding enough work to stay as busy as he wants. Maybe if he's just a parts changer who graduated from some 16 week mail order school, but not if he's a real gunsmith. If you don't have enough real shooters there to keep a good gunsmith busy, just do him a favor and send him this way!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    He did not seem to be handing out business cards or anything. Nor did he have a phone number or shop address on his hand-lettered cardboard sign.

I had a flash of somebody bringing over a newly-purchased “needs work” Gun Show find and having him take it outside to the nearest shade tree and pull out his trusty Vise Grips, Harbor Freight screwdrivers and ball peen hammer and go to work. Didn’t see it happen, but that was the mental image I had.

Boolit Grand Master

I could see prospective buyers asking him to "check out" a used gun for an opinion also. Or on what parts are and such.

Boolit Grand Master
    I hate to sound so negative, but finding a real gunsmith is a very great discovery around here, while finding somebody hanging out a shingle who knows considerably less about gunsmithing than I do is a frequent occurrence around here. Recently a "gunsmith" opened up his own shop locally... I asked him about what kind of lathe and mill he had to determine the capacity he would have for pistols vs rifles, for instance. His answer? "I don't have those yet." He is a parts changer, not a gunsmith! On a strictly personal note, I can change parts and make simple repairs on my own guns for my ownself... but I know my own limits and when I take my gun to a professional, I expect him to know more and have more skills than I do; otherwise, why take my gun to him? JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Green Frog, If I'm having a rifle built by a unknown gunsmith I ask for references and customers who allow me to see his work, for what a true build up costs its not an unreasonable request. If he balks at this I start getting leary. I also have a list of wants and or features up front I want. This way theres no confusion whats expected. This list may include true and square action, trigger at a certain weight, a special barrel contour, grade and type of wood, finish on metal and wood. Last I request they sighn their name under the wood line on the barrel so they are IDed as the maker of the project. I am currently planning my own personal shop, lathe, mill, surface grinder, Shaper? along with a tig welder mig welder, I have a buffer set up, several pedistol grinders, and some other assorted tools now.

Boolit Master
    A real gunsmith is an underpaid cabinet and tool-and-die maker, working pour le sport or pour l’amour. They aren’t often found working at the local gun store any more, but the “modularity” of most new stuff allows a lot of the guys who are working there to say they are gunsmiths.

There would at least be a reasonably distinct customer base to ask references of if one contemplates getting a whole custom gun made. It’s much more detective work to find someone who can make a mainspring for a Stevens 44 or fit a stock on a Krag. Having tried to do such things myself, I’m kind of doubtful of even the professionally painted “Gunsmithing Performed” sign on the gun store, let alone a hand lettered sign carried around a gun show by some individual.

At least, if I do it wrong myself, there are no arguments on who has to do it over again and get it right this time. And I’ve learned something in the process.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12