WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any reason to try pure lead/tin alloy?

Jeff...if you mixed a ratio of 15:1, this is what you'd have...

5.78%Sn__.38%Sb__.09%Cu__93.8%Sb__@ 10.6 BHN__ Thats awful Sn rich but it'd work fine in the low pressure pistol rounds. It might even suffice for medium level magnum pistol rounds too? It's been said that E. Keith did magnum full house with 12 BHN.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    While I have enough isotope and COWW to last me a good long while, I also have a lot of pure lead and pewter.

I'm sure this has been answered already, but using pure and pewter can I get an alloy suitable for PC pistol bullets? If so, what ratio should I be looking at?
    40:1 will land around 7 BHN, 20:1 about 8 BHN. Remember these alloys age soften stabilizing about a month out. 20:1 started at 11 BHN day 1 and landed at 8 BHN at day 30 for me so the change is considerable. I use 40:1 for low vel handguns (under 900 fps) and get no leading, of course it's really pressure that helps us decide on hardness empirically so your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    As a newbee I mixed 16:1. Started with 16lbs of pure lead that tested at 5 to 6 BH and added 1 lb of pewter. I was expecting to have a BH of 12. I ended up with 7-7.5 BH after a day, a week, and a month after testing. That was the boolit I posted on page one. I don't trust pewter To use as tin for mixing as it can vary. I use 2% mixed in all my batches to help fill out molds but not for anything else. After trying it several times in my mixes it only seems to bring up the BH by 1 on average. If I want a final BH of 12 in a 16lb mix I'll start with 11 BH and ad a pound of pewter.

I go softer if I PC, and have used for magnum pistol, not always but have done so without leading problems for .357 magnum. Lee SWC TL bullet. It wasn't as soft as plain and some tin but as I recall it was 5% tin alloy that I threw some COWW lead into. Less than 50/50 of the WW's maybe around 3:2 ratio? Think I was going for a 10 BHN to try with plain base gas check but also ran some without gas checks as a compare.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Good info in this thread. Thank you for posting it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12