Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Italian sausage

Boolit Master

Italian sausage

Messing about in the kitchen again.Decided to fix some sausage sandwiches for supper.Seeing as I am a bit lazy at times,I just put some marinara sauce in a non stick pot threw the sausage in and simmered it till done.When almost done,I grilled some sweet onions and bell peppers to top it off with.Used Johnsonville brand mild sausage.Loaded it up on some hoagie rolls(steamed of course)with some marinara sauce and had at it. .Washed it all down with some iced tea.Try it sometime.Might like it.Got the sausage on a manager special sale for $6.00 for a 12 pack..50 cents a link ain`t a bad price.Did I mention that I`m a cheap SOB?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Master

I do the same except without the marinara sauce. I brown the sausages and add bell pepper and onions to the pan, put the lid on and let the veges sweet. The liquid from the vegies makes a pan gravy from the pan drippings and is sweatend by the onions. Get a fresh bagette and put on the feed bag.

next time use tomato paste, 2 tbsp of oregano, 1tsp salt, 1tbsp garlic minced, 1/2 tsp pepper.... add onions and peppers after they are caramelized and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese at the end

marinara sauce is too sweet

Moderator Emeritus

Johnsonville sausage just tastes wrong to me, not a fan of the seasoning profile they use.

Boolit Master
    Yeah the sauce that I used is a bit sweet.Just gotta use whats at hand.Johnsonville is a bit lacking in the seasoning dept,but for $6.00 I`ll take it.That box of 12 will make 6 meals for me.Did I mention that I am a cheap SOB?
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Memo to self. Don't read this forum until I've eaten at least Breakfast! Now I'm starbed LOL

Banned

we have a local made Italian sausage called chudigi. The way its ate around here is on a toasted sub bun with pizza sauce, fried onion, mushrooms, peppers and mozzarella cheese. Like Mary I'm not a Johnsonville fan or really a fan of any store sausage. Way to much fat in them for me. I like making my own. I can buy pork but for under 2 bucks a lb and with a little work have my itailian sausage, brats, breakfast sausage and plain ground pork much cheaper then in the store and can control whats in it. Brats and sausage are kind of like hot dogs (not quite as bad) in that they can put about any part of an animal in them and as much fat as they can get away with. Then add to it the chemicals and preservatives they add. No thanks its pretty easy to make my own. Johnsonville used to make good brats but in the last couple years they jacked there prices up because the name got kind of famous (at least in the Midwest) and there quality went down.

Moderator Emeritus

I grew up eating a beef brat from a local butcher, really really miss those!

Boolit Master
    It all sounds great..............but once you grind up a couple of pork butts and make your own Italian sausage store bought just doesnt cut it. And it only ends u costing me $.99 a pound.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I am going to try some of these!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER