30-30s 1st Day of Hunting Season

Today season is open

Ol Deuce
    Do the Best with What you have !

Montana Hunting .................

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    One of my cousin's who lived in Pennsylvania used a old Marlin 93 in 30-30 for everything. Deer hunting, pigs and even woodchucks. After he passed away I waited for about a year before considering asking his widow if it was still in the family and if she wished to sell it. But they never had much money so figured it was one of the first things to go. Same with one of my uncles who had a nice krag except it had been drilled and tapped for a scope. Frank

In Remembrance
    I had an uncle that I ran with for years, he was much more like a big brother, he even gave me my first centerfire rifle, which I still have.
    Anyway when he passed on he had an old 9 shot long barreled 22 pistol, which he had had for 30 years that I knew of. A year or so before he passed he let someone take the grips to make a new set and never got them back. I ask to buy it, but was told that it would not be for sale, but a couple of years later it had went down the road at some point, I would probably have given 10 times more than what they got for it, just because.

I am no pistolero, but if he pulled the trigger on that thing, whatever he was pointing was hit. He shot a beer can I was holding on a bet one time with it. lol

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    I had an uncle that I ran with for years, he was much more like a big brother, .........
    He shot a beer can I was holding on a bet one time with it. lol
    'Sounds like some of my parties, back in the day.....

I do love a 30-30 though. It is sufficient for anything we have here in AL. I have a few other rifles, but they are just for the variety of having them.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

You guys are right on! the 30-30 was and still is that gun that does everything !! About 60 miles west of me is the Beartooth Mountain range and those old dudes hunting with horses in a mountain pass brings lots of memories going hunting with my Dad and 2 Uncles .. They all had old lever guns!! WoW

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master

Nothing wrong with a new lever gun today. Still does the same efficient non glamorous but ever faithful task of putting meat on the table.
    But I do agree it is a far more heart thrilling issue to have a 130 year old lever rifle lurched the shoulder and hear that wondrous "thwap" as a caliber 38 255 FN grainer slams into the ribs of a corn cruncher of what ever type it may be.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

I'm going to be honest here. For 60 years I never really "got" the whole lever gun .30-30 thing. Then as I settled into retirement I happened to run across a pair of Win 94's. One made back in 44, one AE with crossbolt safety. Well I ended up with both of them.

I have to admit, that Win94AE with some good loads is a barrel of fun.

She will shoot the Lee .312 185 gr gc sized down to .309 just fine. Same with the 150 155, or 160 gr versions.

She also shoots the little .314 90 gr TC sized to .309 over a light load of Red Dot awesomely. Same POA at 25 as full house loads at 100y. Those little pills would be big medicine on grouse, rabbits, squirrels, and as quiet as a .22lr.

So I get it now, its actually sort of a fusion between the old west version of an assault rifle, and a simple hard working capable of almost anything cartridge with a nice long neck that is perfect for cast.

She is the stuff that dreams are made of.

Boolit Grand Master

When the 30-30 came out it's competition was the 45-70. It was the flat shooting wonder of it's day.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

YIKES ...none of those guys in the pictures are wearing blaze orange !!!!

ps...yes 30-30 with 180 gr cast and 28 grs of 748 is a fantastic load for deer....good luck with your hunt
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

In Remembrance
    GhostHawk, my story is similar. My uncle that I mentioned earlier gave me a M99 in 300 savage when I was a kid, so in my mind I never wanted or needed an inferior 30/30. I bought several of them over the years, but they were presents for my younger cousins. Sort of a pay it back kind of deal in my mind, never kept one. Just in the last few years have I discovered the joy of them, and have bought several of them, even kept two for myself, one is a bolt action however that will go to my grandson, the other is an older M 94, also have remingtons equivalent, the 30 rem in an old M 14 that is just pure fun too.

Boolit Buddy
    My new Mossberg 464 .30-30 took it's first buck last season using Hornady LeverEvolution.
    It was a small 3 point buck, but it was also the only deer I got a shot on all season.
    One shot and down. He never took the first step after being hit with that 140gr FTX.

Wonderful painting, quite evocative.

Banned

I have a few .30-30s. Odd that out of all the deer I've killed only one was a .30-30 kill and it wasn't even a lever gun (for what its worth, the Savage 340 is a neat rifle itself).

That said, been killing them with only cast for several years now and the ballistics of most of the cast loads I've used could be easily done with a .30-30.

Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Wonderful painting, quite evocative.
    Montana has it's share of beautiful Backcountry......A couple areas you can't take a gun in ! But that's Ok The Bears can play with those people who go there!
    Iron Mountain and The Picketpen ! are my favorites.....! Ol Deuce

Banned

If I were to ever leave Kansas (unlikely) Montana would probably be where I'd go.

Boolit Buddy

Nice paintings. The 30-30 is a fun gun on horse or in a jeep.

Great old pic's.

Boolit Master
    Rider confronted by bear on horse back. "Oops e daisy"~~ I can only imagine what the horse felt?

270 winchester Season opener here is the 4th. of Nov.

(Can't afford to feed a horse.) I'll be riding my trusty Polaris Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    Rider confronted by bear on horse back. "Oops e daisy"~~ I can only imagine what the horse felt?

270 winchester Season opener here is the 4th. of Nov.

(Can't afford to feed a horse.) I'll be riding my trusty Polaris Ranger.
    Hahaha.......... yup We have way to many Grizzlies now in Montana!! If ya shoot a Deer or Elk the bear may get to it first LoL...... Our grandparents
    worked hard to get the Grizzly count down in the 20s and 30s and they reintroduce them! they really never went away ! Just like the Wolf!!! and the Lion!!

Krazy world we live in .....Love it.... Ol Deuce

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast