Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 30-30s 1st Day of Hunting Season

Banned

orange?
    generally we know who the guy's from Utah, Oregon and Cal. are by the orange.

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    orange?
    LoL............I can relate to that ! It's kinda like a Population Thing ........Montana guys kinda know the differences between hunted & the hunter....

P.S. we did red in the very early days tehehe

Ol Deuce
    Last edited by OlDeuce; 10-25-2017 at 02:58 PM.
    Do the Best with What you have !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    orange?
    Grew up in western Oregon, and don't think I remember ever having Orange anything , but then again I left & put on OG Green & later numerous versions for Camo back in 86...

Boolit Master
    Yeah, I'd be surprised to see a bear on horseback!
    Would he be riding it bare-back?..?

Boolit Master

GG that's good! In defense of these orange wearers- they may come from places (like I do) where orange is mandatory.

Boolit Mold
    Even Montana is a orange state has been since the late 60' early 70's before that it was red. Still brings back memories. I've got a 30WCF with a five digit serial number

Boolit Master
    I have a nice old Model 94 Win. 30-30 made in 1925. It's a rifle not a carbine with a 25" octagon barrel. Lots of patina but in great shape. I got my first cast boolit deer with it at 80 yds. It holds 10 rounds in the tube and 1 in the chamber. It shoots the RCBS 180 rfn as well as a jwords. Love that rifle.

My old 1894s in 30-30 is a trapper 1927, and my Rifle is a takedown 1/2 Octagon .... I like this round so well I bought a 23''bull in 30-30 for my
    Contender!!! Way cool

Ol Deuce

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OlDeuce View Post
    My old 1894s in 30-30 is a trapper 1927, and my Rifle is a takedown 1/2 Octagon .... I like this round so well I bought a 23''bull in 30-30 for my
    Contender!!! Way cool

Ol Deuce
    I have a Super 14 in 30-30 and I really like it, the only problem is the twist rate is too slow for the RCBS 180 gr. It key holes real bad with that boolit. It really likes the Lee 150 RFN though.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Our rifle season opens on the 11th. I now have 4 .30 WCF rifles in my battery, however the most accurate one is a 1967 Marlin Glenfield 30 that lived a hard life before I got it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I went nuts yesterday!! .........I loaded 250 rounds in 30-30 lol My plan is to renew my bond with my Old 1894 takedown!! Lead and more lead !!
    These old Winchesters feel so good in hands!!!!!! I should try some of the Hornady gummy points!

Does anyone use them???

Ol Deuce

Some of you guys are lucky, I've got 3 old 30/30s in excellent condition. I can't use them for deer
    in Ohio. The law is 38 cal minimum, Straight case. But I can use 45/70 or 375win. It doesn't make
    sense to me but I'm stuck with it. In a few weeks I will be toting a #3 Ruger/ 375w for deer.

On the paintings/ posters our family has always been solidly Winchester ( pre 64s) we have some
    hunting buddies that come from a Remington family. We have the Repro of Win poster with the
    hunter and bear, we also have a Remington poster with hunter and bear. On the Remington
    poster we added the script " SOL" just to hack on them and there Rems.

In Remembrance
    LOL. I read a book some 45 years or a little more ago about trapping in Alaska. It had a list of stuff you needed to survive living and trapping in the bush. He claimed you needed a reliable rifle of a good caliber for big bear country, like a 300 savage. lol

I've been working on a young man 18 years old now to take his Grandpas 1894 Winchester deer hunting!! 2 weekends left of the season!! That was part
    of the loading 30-30 ..........We'll see what happens!! When he visits me the drool flows when he handles the winchesters I Love It!!!!!!!

Ol Deuce

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I've been carrying my Marlin Glenfield 30 the past few days in the woods. I have to say this one has the best feel out of all of them. The half mag tube gives it a shotgun-like pointability and the weight is perfect for the cartridge, not too light or heavy. I'm currently saving money to put a Leupold VX-3 1-5x20 on it, a $400.00 scope for a $200.00 rifle!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Has anyone taken their game with their 30-30 this season???????

Boolit Grand Master

Greetings
    Nooo...But waiting to read if that 44-56 does any talking.
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    Greetings
    Nooo...But waiting to read if that 44-56 does any talking.
    Mike in Peru
    Not yet Mike....................LoL She's getting really close for a Field Test !!!! Ol Deuce

Funny thing about the 3030. I like the caliber but rarely use it. My daughter took her first 5 deer with a Marlin CB I gave her to use but somehow became her rifle even though I bought her a bolt action scoped rifle. I found a very nice old Marlin in the LGS but it was 35 Remington. Bought it because it was Ballard rifled and at that time I was using cast bullets a lot. Ended up not shooting them in the 35 as the cost to get the molds and GC's was pretty high. Shot a few deer with the CB 3030 I mentioned. I have a waffletop 3030 carbine I have hunted with in certain stands but the deer have not cooperated. My other Marlin is a 38-55 CB and my go to for cast right now.
    Like the rifles and caliber but don't seem to use it much.

DP

This would be a Shot with the 30-30!! This picture was taken in Wyoming just the other day Just south of here

Ol Deuce

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast