Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: oops

Boolit Grand Master

oops

So I am full of ambition I am headed up to my land to cut firewood.
    Got my quad in the back of my new 2016 F150 and I am raring to go.
    Pass a group of cycles probably 30 in total most likely on their last ride for the season,I was planning on getting as far away from them as I could so passed my exit just thinking they would get on the big road but no they end up behind me.Well I am at a light waiting for the green and when I get it I roll into the intersection and my quad falls out of my truck and the ratchet strap come flying into my back window shattering it .No one hurt luckily the bikers stayed back while this happened.Near as I can tell the strap was hooked onto the cheap plastic Ford bedliner and was never actually hooked in the tie down anchor and when I moved forward it lost its hold and the quad did to.
    While I was clearing the oncoming right lane of my quad some jerk decided to drive rite in front of me and the nice fellow that stopped to help.A 700.00 dollar day............
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    Ah, one of the many reasons I still like long bed pickups.

What was it that cost 700 bucks??
    Probably 8 to 10 times a year here I see folks lose there quads off of trailers, or out of the pickup beds. It is usually at highway speeds and totals the quad or close to it, and everyone I have ever stopped to help had them tied down with the worthless 1 inch straps.

Boolit Grand Master
    the 700 was to replace the back window
    I had on a 2.5" strap that was about 24' in length
    I had it run diagonally through the rear and front racks and across the quad
    me too I see those Walmart straps lying on the highway alot
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Sorry to hear about the window and glad it wasn't worse.
    I tie my quad down at the tires, that way I don't have the suspension compressing and releasing tension on the straps.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

In Remembrance
    Ah, missed the window, that just sucks.

I actually lost one once, I started up a steep hill on an old logging road and it just rolled out the back, it hit on it's wheels so no damage to either truck or wheeler.

Banned

that's why i use 2 of the 1-1/2" straps.
    both go from the back of the wheeler to the tie down hooks in the front of the bed.
    it's kind of a pain to strap everything in place,,,, But.

Heck, the doggone 1" rubber tie-downs and ladders are what I see all over the road. You'd think people would learn, but apparently not.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    that's why i use 2 of the 1-1/2" straps.
    both go from the back of the wheeler to the tie down hooks in the front of the bed.
    it's kind of a pain to strap everything in place,,,, But.
    A friend of mine loaned another friend of mine his four wheeler AND one of his pickups. He tied down the rear only. I do not know what size straps he used but they were apparently sufficient, cuz he hit a bump on the trail at probably 25 mile an hour or so, but the bump was a 5 mile an hour bump. It bounced the front of the wheeler up and did a back flip, the straps held but it did some serious,serious damage to the handle bars and instrument panel. lol It was not totaled, but took some bucks to put it back together.

Moderator Emeritus

For an ATV, I use 4 straps, one on each corner.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    Don't get me wrong, but that is funny ! Because it reminds me of something I seen a long while ago. I was sitting at a red light, right behind someone musta been doing a project on their house. Piled a bunch of 2X4's on top of about six inches of snow, with about a dozen 8' sheets of drywall on top of that. The Drag light turned green and he took off, strew the boards out, but that pile of drywall stayed right where it was at the light. I LMAO the whole time I helped him put it back in the truck.

Boolit Master
    ALL them straps have hooks with No Keepers. Hit a bump, the suspension flexes, the hook comes off. I had a water tank on it's side with one of those big USA straps around the middle on my flatbed trailer. Hit a bump, looked in my mirror to see the tank rocking side to side attached to nothing. One of the sides was 500' Down, I got out and chocked that side fast. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Anyone use rope? Bowline, butterfly and a couple half hitch.
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Master

Wow, I bet there was some new cuss words being made up and used in long sentences at that mishap!

White Eagle, just kidding you a little bit, but my German ancestry would have been coming out if it happened to me!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    Glad your ok. Sorry about the mis hap but things could have been worse. Glad no one was hurt.
    Those rings recessed inside the bed liner are hard to get at I know. Helped a friend strap down a tool box. Luckily a quick second check before departure we saw the hook wasn't through the ring.

Mike

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Wow, I bet there was some new cuss words being made up and used in long sentences at that mishap!

White Eagle, just kidding you a little bit, but my German ancestry would have been coming out if it happened to me!
    oh believe me there was especially when the old guy drove in front of me when i was trying to clear the lane
    the other 1/2 of my ancestry is German as well
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I tow mine in a landscape trailer. Two 2 1/2" boat transom tie downs one front and one rear, and four 1.5" straps with safety springs on the hooks....and I am still paranoid about it.

Boolit Master

No atv hear but when I haul cars or other heavy stuff I use chains and binders. Wood usually gets commercial grade ratchet straps. Use your model my friends.