MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load Data

Thread: How much reduction with Star

Boolit Master

How much reduction with Star

I am wondering how much you can reduce the diameter of a bullet without causing a strain on the Star system? Is .005" diameter reduction out of line with wheel weight alloy?
    Founder of the Single Shot section.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you have.

8 in the 10 ring, then I get a PING. Love my Garand.

I never tried to size down .005. It's possible you'll get it if you size the same day as cast, but I'm thinking it would be a lot of stress after that. Also, all that lead has to go somewhere. If I try to size a plain base boolit even .003, I get a lead skirt around the base.

Boolit Buddy
    If you leave the original handle on the star it is designed to bend before you hurt anything.
    Last edited by oger; 10-21-2017 at 07:21 PM. Reason: spelling

I have gotten as much as .005 reduction resizing a large batch of 38 caliber boolits cast of WW. I was part of a group buy that apparently the molds were cut a little on the large size, let me rephrase that...a LOT on the large size. I size mine nose down and the boolit punch was raising a ring around the base of the boolits. I found a fellow board member looking or a mold that cast on the large size and it got a new home.

That being said, what worked best for me was to keep an few already sized & lubed boolits handy and run one through every 3-4 rounds to help keep the die well lubed.

Good luck!

Murhy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.