WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boyd's At-One Stock

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd's At-One Stock

Anyone have one of these yet? I placed an order for one in forrest camo. Bought it for a Ruger American Predator. Like the Ranch rifles it has a stupid low comb designed for irons. But the rifle doesn't have irons on it. A fully adjustable stock for $201 was to good to pass up. It's not going on a target rifle so I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a stock. But I wanted a higher comb. Will post a review once I install it on the rifle. If it works well I will order one for Ranch rifle as well.

Boolit Master
    I was looking at one of those, but don't think they offer one for a lefty stagger feed long action Savage. The adjustments would have been handy for this one rifle fits all I am working on. I would be interested in how it works for you.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd's At-One Stock

It's in transit and is set to arrive Monday. But I will be away for work all week. Was hoping to test the rifle w/ the factory stock first. May or may not have time for this. I do need to go buy some factory rounds to test w/. And WipeOut. If it's anything like the RAR I have there will be heavy copper fouling all the way down the barrel.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    We were figuring the cost of the the parts to do a stock we have and decided it was cheaper to buy a boyds stock like that. Long list of types of actions they fit.
    Dragon post your review when you get your stock, we are interested in your results.

Boolit Grand Master

Package was waiting for me when I got home. Here's some bad cell phone pics.

I've never been a fan of laminated stocks when it comes to aesthetics. This one is no different and find it ugly. But I bought it tailor the rifle fit. Pushed in the button to raise the comb. The adjustable piece didn't want to budge. After way more effort then I thought it would take it finally released. Tried the buttpad next. Used the same amount of force and the piece came flying out, literally. It didn't want to budge at first and then suddenly released. And I ended up literally throwing it across the room. Luckily when installed they're secure.

I may have time to see how well the action fits this weekend. Hopefully I have time.

Boolit Master
    I agree, that is an ugly stock. Hopefully, it works extremely well for what you intend to use it for. As long as ugly works... You could always paint it!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

It would be nice if they offered these stocks in nonlaminate but they currently don't. Should have gone w/ nutmeg but even that one is ugly as sin. They all are.

http://www.atonegunstocks.com/colors

Boolit Master
    I'm sorry I missed this thread, I'd have shown off mine! Ruger 10/22 with TacSol barrel and Vortex Crossfire.

The plastic/rubber inserts are a bit off on mine, but I bought one of the first. Royal Jacaranda looks great. I have pepper laminate on my Mossberg 20ga, and it's a bit dull. Next time (there will be a next time!) I'm thinking either Blaze or Blackheart if they still offer it
    Last edited by mcdaniel.mac; 11-04-2017 at 09:36 AM.

Boolit Master
    The Pepper color looks the most subdued of all of them. I think yours could grow on me, but the two sides being different colors is weird looking. I wouldn't mind Sky, and I can't let my daughter find out about the Royal (purple).
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd's At-One Stock

There is a severe lack of pictures in their site. Had I know it was different colors on each side I most likely wouldn't have ordered it. Paint is always an option but not something I'm to keen on. Solid wood options would be nice. I would have gladly paid more for it.

Almost ordered the pepper color. But if you look closely you can see a natural wood color in it. Depending on the cut you could end up w/ a large section being this color. Pictures of actual stocks would be a good thing.

Boolit Grand Master

And I have some work ahead of me.

That's a single bill and that's all the further back it goes. It was a pain to even get it to this point. Trying to get the action set on the recoil lugs was an exercise in frustration. Next up was sanding both the wood and the magazine catch. The catch wasn't setting far enough forward in the inlet and the bolt wouldn't go through the hole.

Bedding the lugs is completely out because of how I had to place the action in the stock. Only way to get it lined up was to reach up through the magazine well and finagle the rear lug until it set in the action properly. Then had to push the action around until the front hole would line up so the bolt would thread in properly.

I'm tempted to shoot it like this and see how it groups. If it will hold MOA for five shots I may call it good. It's going to be a hunting rifle. Took two hours to get it to this point and I'm hesitant to pull the action back out of the stock. I'm not remotely close to being a gunsmith and quickly remembered that there are certain things I hate doing. Stock work is one of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Made the decision to shoot it and see how it performs. If it doesn't I will ship it out to have it worked on. At that point I may decide to blue or parkerize it. Anything is better than the barbecue paint they currently use.

Weighs in at 9# even. Maybe an ounce less. Was hard to get it stay still on the scale.

I hope the stock works well for you.....if I may suggest........with my boyds stock, I had to bed a washer in under the front take down screw,wood is very soft, I had to bed a washer in under the trigger gaurd because I pulled the screw right thru it at 25 inch pounds.....then I got hatey and machined up an aluminum trigger gaurd for it.....I bedded my blocks in (r uger American in 22-250)

Trick to free floating the barrel......wrap sand paper around a deep well socket or a section of wooden dowl rod .....

Aaron

I was rather happy with my Boyd's stock. Not an "At One" but does have the adjustable cheek piece. This is my Savage 12FV in .223Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	207256
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Banned
    Boyds makes a heck of a lot of stocks and they are inletted pretty close to your particular rifle dimensions allowing you to finish them up I have 5 different stocks and they all look and work really good.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by starnbar View Post
    Boyds makes a heck of a lot of stocks and they are inletted pretty close to your particular rifle dimensions allowing you to finish them up I have 5 different stocks and they all look and work really good.
    This is my first one and I don't have good things to say about the inletting. Maybe it's because of the Ruger recoil lugs that are needed. But the action gave me nothing but problems w/ getting it set properly in the stock and lined up on the lugs. You can't see the front lug at all so you're working blind.

If the rifle shoots I will consider buying another one. If not I will put the factory stock back on and deal w/ an ugly cheek riser piece. I know they aren't 100% drop in stocks and will take some work.

I agree Boyd's website isn't well thought out. I wish they and other companies would print REAL catalogs with good pictures. Dragon, what caliber is that multicolored machine?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Boyd's At-One Stock

It's 308. Plan is to put a Paladin silencer on it. Don't know when I will have the time to take care of all the paperwork. Hopefully I can get it done between Christmas and New Years. Will have the first profit sharing check by then as well

It's raining and miserable here. Hopefully I can get it sighted in tomorrow. Have a bunch of other errands to take care of first. If I can get it sighted in I will use it during rifle season. Will only be able to hunt on the weekends but it's better than nothing.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    There is a severe lack of pictures in their site. Had I know it was different colors on each side I most likely wouldn't have ordered it. Paint is always an option but not something I'm to keen on. Solid wood options would be nice. I would have gladly paid more for it.

Almost ordered the pepper color. But if you look closely you can see a natural wood color in it. Depending on the cut you could end up w/ a large section being this color. Pictures of actual stocks would be a good thing.
    I was real happy with the Pepper, with the $99 closeout/Blem Thumbhole stock that I got from Boyds, for my Axis.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	left side outdoors lighting.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	25.0 KB 
ID:	207297

Attachment 207298

This brown spot, near the trigger, was the only blem I could find on this stock.
    Attachment 207299
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Made the decision to shoot it and see how it performs. If it doesn't I will ship it out to have it worked on. At that point I may decide to blue or parkerize it. Anything is better than the barbecue paint they currently use.

Weighs in at 9# even. Maybe an ounce less. Was hard to get it stay still on the scale.
    I don't think your rifle is Ugly at ALL! Gouge out the business areas a bit, and bed it yourself... Its not that hard, and Tons of How to videos on the web.. Devcon 10110 is preferred epoxy,,, but I have two rifles bed with their plastic steel.. they shoot fine.. Make sure youuse a good release agent.. I have gone the cheap rout, used Pam spray, Johnsons floor wax. First stock I did, set me into panic mode a bit, but a little exra persuation, the release agent worked just fine, and exposed a beautifull finished bed for the action.. the Devcon works nice, because it isn't runny, so you can control it a bit.. I like the looks of the gun..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast