RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boyd's At-One Stock

Boolit Bub
    3 Ruger 77 rifles.. I bed them all myself.. Not that hard. shoot minute of angle.. .223, 7mm-08, ,270 Winchester.. none are pillar bedded.. perfect for hunting gun..

Banned
    Boyds stocks are a bargain. I own/ed 5 and they all worked great to improve an entry level rifle. When my 223 Compass gets back from circumcision and threading, it's getting a ONE stock.

Have a real custom stock made up out of 4X French with good checkering, trap butt, real ebony tip...... it will set you back the cost of 15 ONE stocks or more.

Like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN3504.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	210201

Boolit Bub
    This rifle was given to me. Ruger 77 Varmit heavy 26 inch barrel,,220 Swift.. The guy said it would only shoot a 4 inch group at 100 yrds on a good day. I tried to talk him into working with it some more, but he said he was done with the frustration and if I wanted it, it was mine.

first thing I did was look at bedding.. this is what I found..

Name:	rifle bed start.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	210202

I gouged out that old bedding a bit, then drilled some angle anchor holes,opposing angles..

Name:	rifle bed rough out.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	39.8 KB 
ID:	210203

I used JB weld steel epoxy as bed compound... used Johnson floor wax as mold release. waxed everything I didn't want epoxy on.. New bed for action.

Name:	rifle bed finish.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	210204

re assembled rifle, cleaned barrel really well, it was bad dirty, and it had been shot a LOT throat not in best of shape..

Here is the first 4 shots down the clean bedded action..after a foul shot or two..

Name:	swift group.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	26.7 KB 
ID:	210207
    Last edited by Moosegooser; 12-25-2017 at 12:26 AM.

Boolit Bub
    a dremel tool and a very light touch to give just a skim coat of devcon 10110,,and I bet your rifle will sleep well..

Boolit Mold
    This is a somewhat old thread - but I thought I'd chime in.

I received a Boyds At-One in walnut (not laminated) a couple of weeks ago. The fit is excellent (Rem 700). A single dollar bill clears all the way to the receiver. This is my second Boyds - the first being a thumbhole varmint that was on this same gun. (I decided to get the At-One because i recently upgraded the scope and mount...which raised the scope.....which made the comb on the thumbhole too low.)

I'm very happy with the walnut. I like it a lot better than the (Nutmeg) color I had on the thumbhole stock.

The issue I'm having now is that the comb won't adjust high enough to get my eye aligned with the scope. As I investigated options I determined that a 3/8" lag bolt engages the locking mechanism in the stock *perfectly*. I also obtained from a local lumber yard a chunk of walnut. I'm now fashioning a piece that will fit into the stock's cutout but will get my cheek higher. I plan on putting the lag bolt in the bottom and cutting off the bolt's head - so I can still have a piece that is adjustable height.

Name:	20180208_194458 - Copy-001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	215834
    Last edited by otisrush; 03-06-2018 at 12:25 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I like that a lot better. They didn't have the walnut option when I bought mine. I may order it and try to sell my current one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by otisrush View Post
    This is a somewhat old thread - but I thought I'd chime in.

I received a Boyds At-One in walnut (not laminated) a couple of weeks ago. The fit is excellent (Rem 700). A single dollar bill clears all the way to the receiver. This is my second Boyds - the first being a thumbhole varmint that was on this same gun. (I decided to get the At-One because i recently upgraded the scope and mount...which raised the scope.....which made the comb on the thumbhole too low.)

I'm very happy with the walnut. I like it a lot better than the (Nutmeg) color I had on the thumbhole stock.

The issue I'm having now is that the comb won't adjust high enough to get my eye aligned with the scope. As I investigated options I determined that a 3/8" lag bolt engages the locking mechanism in the stock *perfectly*. I also obtained from a local lumber yard a chunk of walnut. I'm now fashioning a piece that will fit into the stock's cutout but will get my cheek higher. I plan on putting the lag bolt in the bottom and cutting off the bolt's head - so I can still have a piece that is adjustable height.

Name:	20180208_194458 - Copy-001.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	215834
    Does look MUCH better!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12