Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lead prices and availability during the last panic?

Boolit Buddy

I agree with dragon, lead isn't going anywhere it is just hard to find it free or nearly free like people talk about being the case 10-20 years ago. If you look up the historical commodity value of lead it increased greatly in the 2000's along with a lot of other metals, I think this got a lot of people's head in the game of "hey this is worth something" and now hardly anyone gives it away for free as a result. Lots more people "doing scrap," or at least aware of scrap value, than there used to be I believe.

Lead wheeel weights are still the standard in most states and I think that fact alone means we won't have too much trouble sourcing supply (albeit having to buy online) for decades to come. Until/unless it becomes highly scarce for an oddball reason (gov't bans etc) I think you'll see lead commonly sold online in ingot form for 1-1.5 times its scrap value shipped, just like it is now. When the price goes up, more people sell off some of their horde, so it tends to even out I think.

Boolit Grand Master

I've been through a few shortages and have not noticed lead prices or availability changing. Brass, powder, primers and loaded ammo will get scarce and more expensive during shortages. Free or cheap lead is getting harder to find. I do recommend building up a stock if you have the ways and means to store it. A dollar a pound is a fair price for lead that is already cleaned up and in ingot form.

Boolit Master

The increase activity in the economy is often reflected in the increase price of commodities.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Saw this and had to respond....I'd never call those generous benefactors "clowns" for leaving behind good brass. They are wonderfully generous and I am so thankful and grateful for them. Over the years they have given me many thousands of pieces of perfectly good brass. When I get the empty boxes, so much the better.

Brass has never been a problem.......new or used. There are always clowns at the ranges that just leave their brass lay on the ground. Not after I have been there! Same with 50 count ammo boxes. They just throw them in the bins there. I take them apart at the glued seam, fold them inside out (printing on the inside) and re-glue with a hot melt gun and have a perfect BLANK ammo box ready for labeling, along with the plastic carrier inside!

Banger

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Lead can always be found/scrounged. The biggest issue during a "shortage" is the powder and primes to get ti down the barrel. I know . . . . i stood in a number of liens at 5 or 6 int he morning to get a number to just have the opportunity to buy a minimum of such supplies and ammo.

Boolit Master
    I work at an indoor range where lead and brass are left for the shop owners to recycle (most shooters there do not reload). We have a new owner now who sells the reclaimed (unprocessed) lead and brass to various buyers. One buyer in particular asks for both the lead and brass that is available when he calls. His story is that he is finding it harder to find sources for lead for his work making fishing sinkers, lures, etc. By offering to buy both the lead and brass together he comes out well (gets lower prices on both together) by re-selling the brass to recycling shops and reloaders, then using the lead for his own purposes. Indoor ranges in any location may be a source for raw lead material, just ask and see.

Great to hear so many chime in on this, I'm listening carefully. I still get great scrapyard lead in the form of sheet and spools of wire but WW are fading fast, last bucket was < 1/2 lead alloy weights. My concern is environmental regs and potential prohibitions on lead sales and maybe even on lead shot and any projectiles. Currently we have a favorable federal situation (go Don Trump!) but the pendulum swings and states can be pretty radical (the people's republic of New Jersey and Kalifornia), this is probably the good old days right now. I'm making a special effort to render all I can and assay batches of rendered alloy by physical properties, stamping the ingots. No panic, just preparation. My retirement plan is to shoot every day so my stores may be spent by my 100th birthday but if I die young someone will be willed a great stash of metals and alloys! Now, what about powder and primers?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by quail4jake View Post
    I'm making a special effort to render all I can and assay batches of rendered alloy by physical properties, stamping the ingots. No panic, just preparation. My retirement plan is to shoot every day so my stores may be spent by my 100th birthday but if I die young someone will be willed a great stash of metals and alloys! Now, what about powder and primers?
    I think this is a good plan. Not much different than mine. I don't expect lead to just disappear but gradually continue to become harder to find for free of cheap. Now, powder, primers, brass and loaded ammo will no doubt be effected by panics, just as in the past. I try to keep at least enough components to shoot and load through 2 election cycles (8 years). I hope to already have a lifetime supply of lead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12