RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: frangible boolits?

frangible boolits?

is it possible to cast frangible boolits? with bowhunting season upon us, i am sharing the woods with well camouflaged folks when i shoot, so wile i look carefully for others prior to shooting, i may not see someone in full camo. there is a backstop where i shoot, but i have found bullets and boolits laying on the ground well beyond it. so i am not sure if they are making it thru the backstop or simply flying over it, or maybe even ricocheting. in any case, frangible boolits would help with the safety aspect.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Banned

the bullets hit the back stop and flip up and over it.
    I get most of my hand gun type range scrap from behind the 50 yd berm.[out to about 15yds or so]

you can make frangible boolits with the equipment you have.
    the cost however is going to be out of control.
    anyway rotometals sells an alloy of bismuth and tin that will do the job, 5% tin is plenty.

Boolit Master

You might look at the Ness non-ricochet design. I've shot a bunch of them in tests and they seldom ricochet. The ones I shot in my 06 were very accurate. Firing at 100 yards, I attempted to fire into the flat ground and obtain ricochets into the 35 foot berm with no apparent ricochets.

The Army's frangible .30s worked but I'm not sure how good they were on barrels. The ones I saw fired were fired through 3/4" stakes into a gravely hillside from a .30 Browning MG. Enough of the projectile remained after passing through the wood to see the bands on it but they didn't ricochet./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    the bullets hit the back stop and flip up and over it.
    I get most of my hand gun type range scrap from behind the 50 yd berm.[out to about 15yds or so]

you can make frangible boolits with the equipment you have.
    the cost however is going to be out of control.
    anyway rotometals sells an alloy of bismuth and tin that will do the job, 5% tin is plenty.
    Piqued, can you expand on this any?

I’ve tried to think of a way to make frangibel but so far the best idea i have thought about is bird shot cast into epoxy resin. coated of course