Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Odd question, removing a broken primer bit

Boolit Master
    I had the same thing happen a while ago on some .38 brass. This was on my progressive press and caused two primers to pop while seating. Now I just deprime everything off the progressive and inspect for both bad primer removal and any crimped pockets in both .38 and 9mm. My wife was not impressed with things exploding while I'm loading.

Boolit Mold
    I was given a lot of Lake City brass that someone had drilled a 1/8 inch hole into the primer for some stupid reason. I used a fine thread tap that fit the ID of the primer cup after opening the small hole to the same as the ID of the remaining potion of the primer. I ran the tap in and then just used a universal decap die to push out the remains, worked good. Amazing what a person will do when somebody gives you 10K of LC once fired brass and you'r cheap.

Boolit Master

I was going to suggest putting a tap in the primer 'bit' as well but using it as a puller. Renegade's answer sounds better.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Grand Master

I've spent the whole day today and part of yesterday washing, resizing and tumbling 9mm brass. I have had this happen a few times and just scrap the case. Even though 9mm is very plentiful I hate to junk an otherwise good case. This is mostly range brass and I expect some of it had gotten wet at some time.

Boolit Master
    I had this exact same experience about a month ago. The flat rear face of the primer, also the anvil. came out of the primer pocket. The side body of the primer that holds the primer inside the pocket remained inside the pocket. My first reaction was to consider that the trouble in getting the trash out of the pocket would not justify the effort in working to remove the obstruction. I tossed the case into the trash bucket.

In a few minutes I realized I had an opportunity to learn how to get this job completed. The case with the debris in the primer pocket was a common caliber and I didn't really need that single case. Looking ahead, I considered the day may come when I would have the same challenge with a rare or expensive case and no experience in correcting the problem. OK, let's see what will or will not work to clean out that primer pocket.

I tried driving a tiny screw driver between the wall of the pocket and the debris ring, but the driver was too fragile to hold up without bending. Next I tried various pointed tools, even sewing needles, but they were too blunt to get between the old primer ring and the the wall. Then I found a box of tiny wire brads (nails) I had bought at a hobby shop. These are marked #18 x 3/4 inch (diameter x length) THIS was the answer! While not really strong, these wire brads have a head for driving them between the pocket and ring, the strength to hold up to move to the bottom of the pocket without bending, and the strength to allow me to "lever" them to create a bit of "air" between the pocket and ring. I got one seated, then a second one directly across from the first. Gave both nails a slight "wiggle" toward and away from each other, and could then remove these nails by hand. After that I got a pointed probe into one of the cavities thus formed a lifted the debris our of the pocket. Bingo. When the debris was out of the primer pocket I have a close inspection of the pocket. There were only very slight indications that something had made contact with the sides of the pocket, but not enough to suggest and damage to the strength of the pocket. I hope this process works out for you.

Boolit Master

I just flatten the case with a pair of pliers and toss in brass scrap pail. I or no one else will have to deal with that one again.

9's 38's 357's 40's or 45's are to cheap to worry about.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12