Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do I have to call the Police? (true story)

Boolit Master

When do I have to call the Police? (true story)

I recently had to discharge my .44 Rem Special to defend myself. However this was a little different. I was walking my attack trained (Ha Ha) Chichuahua "Sgt. Rambo" at 2330 hrs a few weeks ago in my quiet neighborhood.

This is a affluent area habitated by seniors in Las Vegas away up the hill to the West called Sun City Summerlin. At that hour the sidewalks are rolled up to speak and there is no vehicle traffic and less pedestrians. All the good citizens are asleep or dozing whilst watching Fallon or the other idiot on the boob tube.

When out of the shadows appeared a coyote. He was a healthy and sleek furred example of his breed and was standing and staring at Sgt. Rambo like he was to be his evening snack. However he was almost 25 yds away. By this time Rambo had also seen and probably smelt this other canine and he quickly peed on the ground and put himself behind me.

Okay I thought a coyote....big deal. I'll yell and he will retreat. I did. He did not. Instead he advanced from 25 yds away forwards to within 50 feet and he was not stopping. Although focused on this threat, I drew my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Rem Spcl. from my hip holster and while doing so I noted two other coyotes to my right. They were also within 50 feet and advancing.

Okay now this is getting serious....I yelled and kept on yelling, Rambo kept on whining and doing the normal breed shake and bake behind me whilst the canines kept advancing. I then really began to fear for myself and my companion and I drew my front sights on the nearest foe, coyote #1. I noted that behind him was my neighbors house and Mercedes Benz and recognizing that this background was not appropriate for a round which would probably totally penetrate Wiley T. Coyote and cause property damage at least and at worst penetrate into his home and possibly injure or kill somebody....so this canine was not to be shot from this angle. I quickly assessed the situation to my right with coyotes #2 & #3 and I determined that this was not any better.

I could not retreat, they were advancing, I could not in good conscience shoot anywhere near the threats. The police were a phone call away but I had a gun in hand now and action had to be taken.

So I carefully aimed up into the air at about a 80 degree angle toward a large golf course nearby which I hope would receive the 185 Gr Hornady Critical Defense HP round and let one go. I always use factory ammo for carry as I do not want to give any slack to a Plaintiff if I am taken to court....so please do not take me to task over this. I had never fired that snub nosed weapon without ear protection and that sucker was loud. Very loud.

The coyotes suddenly remembered an overdue appointment in another area code and beat a hasty retreat for about 50 feet.
    At that point still holding my trusty .44 in my paw I scooped up my courageous and precious Sgt. Rambo and rambled on home while keeping an eye on the canines. As I retreated up into my driveway the coyotes were again advancing on my position but only at walking speed not charging. If they had charged me again I probably would have aimed at them and fired for effect but it was not necessary as we got into the house just when the coyotes got to my driveway about 40 feet from my front door.

We got safely inside and the dog promptly did his business on the kitchen floor while I gathered myself together and called to the local police to report my actions. To neglect this would be stupid. Somebody probably heard my yelling and then the report of a large calibre round being fired and would certainly be calling the authorities soonest. I had to get my call in first.

This is important. Any time you are forced to brandish or discharge your firearm for any reason you are required to notify the police immediately. Calling the next morning is not OK. So I called and the police arrived in two cars in about 6 mins.

Of course by the time they arrived the canines were long gone. One officer had me take him to the point where I fired from and had me point out to him which direction the sights were pointed etc. Then he began to search around on the ground. I asked him "What are you looking for?" "An empty cartridge case." he replied. Then he said "Duh, you used a revolver?".

"Come into the house and I will show you the gun and I will give you the casing you want." I replied.

They did and we ended up brewing up a pot of coffee and discussed reloading and such for about 30 minutes.

They were quite impressed with some of the guns I showed them especially my M 1 Garand. Neither of them had ever even seen one less handled one. One of the officers has since contacted me off duty and asked if I could show him how to reload and cast boolits. He wanted to learn so he could teach his sons how and get them trained in the use and care etc for firearms. The beat goes on.

Ya gotta keep on spreading breadcrumbs on the waters to keep the casting and reloading sports alive and thriving.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Master

When do I have to call the Police? (true story)

Not sure if I’m missing part of the post or something, but if it is a self defense scenario be sure to be the first one to call. If capable your attacker will call 911 and make you out to be the aggressor. Best to have your 911 call in first and then shut up until an attorney is present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 2ndAmendmentNut; 10-21-2017 at 01:25 AM.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Man
    The then governor of Texas, Rick Perry did the same thing while jogging one day. He made the headlines the next day, loll. You made 2 new friends, and found out, cops are people too. Good job!!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If it's a real defense shoot you want to be certain to ask for an ambulance, for certain. Less so for a coyote of course. There are reports of some places having coyote/wolf crosses and the like; That could be a reason those coyotes were so much more interested (Usually I find coyotes will run on sight of a human, especially an armed one! But maybe these were very hungry, good that you were armed...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    If it's a real defense shoot you want to be certain to ask for an ambulance, for certain. Less so for a coyote of course. There are reports of some places having coyote/wolf crosses and the like; That could be a reason those coyotes were so much more interested (Usually I find coyotes will run on sight of a human, especially an armed one! But maybe these were very hungry, good that you were armed...)
    You might quiz/inform your neighbors - so they know not to feed the 'yotes and be armed if they are walking small children/pets.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Super Moderator

In my neighborhood (very rural), there is a very well known hiking trail right across the main highway from where I live. Coyotes (and mountain lions) have snatched small dogs right from their owners leashes on several different occasions. The lions were hunted down and killed by Game & Fish...the coyotes are still out there...be prepared.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    I used to take the wolamute (wolf/malamute) for walks in the wee hours. Wasn't unusual to run into a coyote walking down the street or sidewalk. They never advanced on us, but rarely retreated.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    Interesting story.

I am curious as to if you have talked to your neighbors since your event, and their reaction to this happening... Are they aware you are a retired LEO? And did the other LEO tell you if others had called in to report your yelling & shot?

Thanks! if ya have to time to answer.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Enjoyable post here, Crash Corrigan. I live about 8 minutes out of town on a "J" hooked street ( One mile straight then two left turns). Huge amount of Forest Land (deer lease) behind my back forty of two acres. Neighbors both sides and across the way all shoot regularly and no one gets bent out of shape. I had no reason to think about calling the police, so thanks for the information. I do go to places that are more habitated with people. My carry is a Bersa Thunder Stainless .22 cal. 40 gr. 1443 fps. circa 1980. Always dependable. Feeds any long rifle cartridge well. First kill with it was a trapped coyote. He was hidden in salt cedars across a fence when I saw it. One shot in the vitals. The trap was on a 16 foot chain and he didn't make it to the end of it. Didn't know he was in a trap until it ran! Or it could be a SCCY CP1 9mm that I carry in a pocket holster. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

In the scenario you just described a shotshell would have worked quite well I think
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_Corrigan View Post
    I recently had to discharge my .44 Rem Special to defend myself. However this was a little different. I was walking my attack trained (Ha Ha) Chichuahua "Sgt. Rambo" at 2330 hrs a few weeks ago in my quiet neighborhood.

This is a affluent area habitated by seniors in Las Vegas away up the hill to the West called Sun City Summerlin. At that hour the sidewalks are rolled up to speak and there is no vehicle traffic and less pedestrians. All the good citizens are asleep or dozing whilst watching Fallon or the other idiot on the boob tube.

When out of the shadows appeared a coyote. He was a healthy and sleek furred example of his breed and was standing and staring at Sgt. Rambo like he was to be his evening snack. However he was almost 25 yds away. By this time Rambo had also seen and probably smelt this other canine and he quickly peed on the ground and put himself behind me.

Okay I thought a coyote....big deal. I'll yell and he will retreat. I did. He did not. Instead he advanced from 25 yds away forwards to within 50 feet and he was not stopping. Although focused on this threat, I drew my Charter Arms Bulldog Pug .44 Rem Spcl. from my hip holster and while doing so I noted two other coyotes to my right. They were also within 50 feet and advancing.

Okay now this is getting serious....I yelled and kept on yelling, Rambo kept on whining and doing the normal breed shake and bake behind me whilst the canines kept advancing. I then really began to fear for myself and my companion and I drew my front sights on the nearest foe, coyote #1. I noted that behind him was my neighbors house and Mercedes Benz and recognizing that this background was not appropriate for a round which would probably totally penetrate Wiley T. Coyote and cause property damage at least and at worst penetrate into his home and possibly injure or kill somebody....so this canine was not to be shot from this angle. I quickly assessed the situation to my right with coyotes #2 & #3 and I determined that this was not any better.

I could not retreat, they were advancing, I could not in good conscience shoot anywhere near the threats. The police were a phone call away but I had a gun in hand now and action had to be taken.

So I carefully aimed up into the air at about a 80 degree angle toward a large golf course nearby which I hope would receive the 185 Gr Hornady Critical Defense HP round and let one go. I always use factory ammo for carry as I do not want to give any slack to a Plaintiff if I am taken to court....so please do not take me to task over this. I had never fired that snub nosed weapon without ear protection and that sucker was loud. Very loud.

The coyotes suddenly remembered an overdue appointment in another area code and beat a hasty retreat for about 50 feet.
    At that point still holding my trusty .44 in my paw I scooped up my courageous and precious Sgt. Rambo and rambled on home while keeping an eye on the canines. As I retreated up into my driveway the coyotes were again advancing on my position but only at walking speed not charging. If they had charged me again I probably would have aimed at them and fired for effect but it was not necessary as we got into the house just when the coyotes got to my driveway about 40 feet from my front door.

We got safely inside and the dog promptly did his business on the kitchen floor while I gathered myself together and called to the local police to report my actions. To neglect this would be stupid. Somebody probably heard my yelling and then the report of a large calibre round being fired and would certainly be calling the authorities soonest. I had to get my call in first.

This is important. Any time you are forced to brandish or discharge your firearm for any reason you are required to notify the police immediately. Calling the next morning is not OK. So I called and the police arrived in two cars in about 6 mins.

Of course by the time they arrived the canines were long gone. One officer had me take him to the point where I fired from and had me point out to him which direction the sights were pointed etc. Then he began to search around on the ground. I asked him "What are you looking for?" "An empty cartridge case." he replied. Then he said "Duh, you used a revolver?".

"Come into the house and I will show you the gun and I will give you the casing you want." I replied.

They did and we ended up brewing up a pot of coffee and discussed reloading and such for about 30 minutes.

They were quite impressed with some of the guns I showed them especially my M 1 Garand. Neither of them had ever even seen one less handled one. One of the officers has since contacted me off duty and asked if I could show him how to reload and cast boolits. He wanted to learn so he could teach his sons how and get them trained in the use and care etc for firearms. The beat goes on.

Ya gotta keep on spreading breadcrumbs on the waters to keep the casting and reloading sports alive and thriving.
    The difference between you and me is I would have a coyote pelt hanging on the garage wall.

Boolit Buddy
    The only question I have is why did you shoot up and not down into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    The only question I have is why did you shoot up and not down into the ground.
    I thought that too. Much safer to shoot into soft ground. At least you know where the bullet is going. But I wasn't there to know all the variables.

Boolit Master

The ground for most of the Las Vegas Valley is predominantly caliche. A ricochet would be quite possible, and Sun City developments are full of houses. Shooting towards a Golf Course would lessen chance of people (night periods) and the soil is conditioned so less chance of ricochet. (Personally I would probably shoot the Coyote if had to).

Caliche (IPA [kəˈliːtʃiː] or sometimes [ˈklːitʃiː]) is a sedimentary rock, a hardened natural cement of calcium carbonate that binds other materials—such as gravel, sand, clay, and silt. It occurs worldwide, in aridisol and mollisol soil orders—generally in arid or semiarid regions, including in central and western Australia, in the Kalahari Desert, in the High Plains of the western USA, in the Sonoran Desert and Mojave Desert, and in Eastern Saudi Arabia Al-Hasa. Caliche is also known as hardpan, calcrete, kankar (in India), or duricrust. The term caliche is Spanish and is originally from the Latin calx, meaning lime.

Back in the 1970's as a young Marine I was on Guard duty, assigned to patrol around the Armory at Camp Pendleton "Mainside". About 3:00 AM a pack of 14 Coyotes came rambling down the road towards me, snarling. Yelled at them, stomped my feet to threaten them, nothing seemed to deter them as the pack kept coming towards me. I began to think I would be headed for "Office Hours" (Commanding Officers Non-Judicial Punishment) the next morning for an Unauthorized Discharge of Firearm the next morning; but when I pumped a 12 gauge round into the shotgun I was carrying, the Coyotes decided they had an appointment elsewhere as the entire pack turned and ran. I've often wondered where they learned to fear the threat of a Pump Action shotgun; an unmistakable sound that can only be rivaled by a 1911 slide going forward.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Congratulations on a successful escape and evade with Sgt. Rambo. I'm glad no damage was done to either persons or property. But if I were you, I might think about a suppressed 22 LR repeating rifle, and maybe a night vision scope. The cheaper Russian night vision can be had for $200 to $400 dollars. And they work pretty decent. They don't compare to newer, current military issue. But they do a good job against varmints. That way you can work at reducing the population of unwanted pests.

Glad you made it out OK and no-one was hurt in any way.
    Be careful,
    Victor

Life member NRA

Boolit Grand Master

I'd say it's a good thing your Leos were "gun friendly", otherwise you'd be noted as a "gun nut" with a huge "armory", especially now after the incident a few weeks ago in Las Vegas...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

the whole point of carrying a sidearm is to protect yourself.
    which is what you used it for.

I do wonder if any of your neighbors called the cops though they might not have even heard the shot.
    heck they propably don't even know where that small dry hair filled dog poop come from on their lawn and are blaming your dog.

I'm curious,not so much on hindsight but are you going to continue with the same carry gun?

Here....I would have definitely been the aggressor,and wouldn't think of calling anyone.Different situation but it does occur....and do somewhat plan on it.We have Black bears as well.

I don't do walks without pepper spray for dogs. It has worked every time.

Boolit Master
    i just toss hand grenades with a steak tied around it...works every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast