Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Under Hammer ??

Boolit Master

Under Hammer ??

OK I am getting ready ...or planning my Winter project

I have had a 32" long 36 cal 7/8" barrel for 10+ years that looks new expect the muzzle end looks like some fool used a pipe wrench on it

It has a breach plug in it and a Powder drum is installed

But ME and Iron Sights don't get along
    Since I fell almost 6 years ago , I can't use them

So I had the idea to remove the powder drum and make a nipple to fit the hole , or make a insert to use a standard nipple
    I know I would have to pull the breach plug and redo it for the nipple to face down

The hard part is I would like to find the Under Hammer hammer , trigger and trigger guard
    But not the H&A style
    More of a normal looking trigger guard

I looked online and found several places that will make a rifle
    Also found a guy selling a H&A style trigger group & frame ... but it looked ROUGH and , I don't like the looks of that style anyway

LOL I might have looked in all the wrong places also

But dose anyone know of a under hammer parts kit that I could buy ?

As I can't use iron sights I planned on skipping them and making it set up for a scope

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Have you tried Muzzleloader builders Supply, they sell an underhammer set.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Boolit Master
    I bought my under hammer "kit" from Pecatonica River. They can do machining for you such as cleaning the muzzle, cutting dove tails for sights and also mount the action to the barrel since mine does not have a breech plug. They also have stocks and such. Great folks to work with.

Boolit Master
    Why not a side slapper?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    John - I have a barrel that was breeched and a drum/nipple installed that I am thinking of changing out to use with an under hammer action. I've used several of the H & A actions and like them but agree that something a little different is nice as well. I'm looking at possibly using one of the Allen actions that Pecatonica sells. My barrel is 1 1/8" in 45 with a 1 in 22 twist so I'm looking at a heavier bench rest style build.

Just remember that you need to consider the location of your "drum" hole in relation to the position of where the hammer cup/striking surface falls as that will be the most critical measurement when the barrel is on the action. Like you, I may have to turn a "bushing" for the drum hole and then fit the nipple but I'll need to determine that once I have the action in y hands. It might just be easier to cut the breech off in front of the drum hole and re-thread for the breech plug and then locate the nipple where it is supposed to be.

The H & A is a good, simple and dependable action - there is no doubt about that. But, you are pretty much limited to the "profile" of it since the trigger guard acts as the mainspring. It's too bad that someone doesn't come up with a nice under hammer action that resembles many of the originals that could be used on various size barrels as I think there would be a market for them if they were able to be priced reasonably. Something that could be used for either a rifle or pistol build.

jdfoxin mentioned a "side slapper" (mule ear) lock and that would also be an alternative although the build would pretty much resemble a traditional cap lock only with the nipple directly into the barrel like an under hammer. There used to be a fellow down at Friendship that made them (many years ago) and I regretted that I never picked one up as they were a simple but reliable design. I recently bought one of the L & R side slap locks from TOW when they finally got them back in stock. They are a really nice lock and I'm really impressed with it. I've got several "builds" ahead of it but I want to use that lock on a very simple Tennessee "pour boy" build I have a .36 X 42" Green Mountain barrel set aside for that and it will be a very simple rifle - no butt plate, hand forged trigger guard, no entry pipe or nose cap. I'm anxious to see how the L & R side slapper performs as it should work well with a set of double set triggers.

Good luck on your build and hopefully you'll find a UH action that will fit your "wants". I hope you'll post photos along he way so we can see it! You might also contact the NMLRA and see if they could steer you to anyone that is making under hammer actions that are not the "run of the mill" actions or there may e some bench rest shooters on here who could advise as to who could make a action.

Jim

Boolit Master

I have been making under hammers for more than a few years and have used the H&A hammers and triggers for many builds. Most of the original under hammers were pistols and there are many different designs for the actions. Some of the very clever and others quite crude. There is one that has the hammer and spring as one part and attached to the bottom of the barrel. As the trigger is pulled it pulls the hammer away from the cap and then the trigger slides off the hammer and lets it snap back setting the cap off. At the bottom of the page is a brass framed 32 that I made about 10 years back, http://www.johntaylormachine.com/53.0.html

Boolit Master

Thanks
    I spent a few days ... err a number of days chewing on Migraine and Pain pills

I will look at the links in the next few days
    Right now I am heading to my Ladies house to "help" her cook dinner
    In other words , talk to her Dad and get him out of her way

John
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Johnch View Post
    Thanks
    I spent a few days ... err a number of days chewing on Migraine and Pain pills

I will look at the links in the next few days
    Right now I am heading to my Ladies house to "help" her cook dinner
    In other words , talk to her Dad and get him out of her way

John
    Sorry to hear about your migraine. I found out years ago that mine were brought on because of stress. The went away after the divorce.