Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: New breech plug install on a TC Hawken

Boolit Master

New breech plug install on a TC Hawken

Title says it all got a new breech plug from T.O.W. and this `15/16 plug still has to go 1/2 turn yet and it is getting rather hard and I might need a bigger vise /pipe for the already large crescent wrench .Any suggestions? Attachment 206269

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Before your start using a 12' breaker bar on it, I would put some inletting black or similar on the end (of the threaded portion) and see if it is bottoming out on the edge of the counter bore. Just because it is a TC breech plug does not mean that it might not need to be "cited" to the barrel. TOW had those plugs made IIRC and thee is no guano that the threads (whee they start on the plug) are the same as the old plug. Almost all new breech plugs will need to be "fitted" to the individual barrel regardless of if they are a flat face or a patent breech. A little inletting black or similar will tell you if it is "bottoming out" on the counter bore so you can file the end and fit it so that the flats line up where they should in regards to your sights and your wedge tenon on the bottom of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Before your start using a 12' breaker bar on it, I would put some inletting black or similar on the end (of the threaded portion) and see if it is bottoming out on the edge of the counter bore. Just because it is a TC breech plug does not mean that it might not need to be "cited" to the barrel. TOW had those plugs made IIRC and thee is no guano that the threads (whee they start on the plug) are the same as the old plug. Almost all new breech plugs will need to be "fitted" to the individual barrel regardless of if they are a flat face or a patent breech. A little inletting black or similar will tell you if it is "bottoming out" on the counter bore so you can file the end and fit it so that the flats line up where they should in regards to your sights and your wedge tenon on the bottom of the barrel.
    I knew some one would be able to help as it is another 1st/never done it before (for me ),but it is a learning experience with help from you I might get this to shoot yet/Thanks Ed

Boolit Master
    Well it does not bottom out thread wise but does this mean barrel needs the same file work as it is nearly 2 flats off yet ?

Boolit Mold
    There is an interference somewhere. Could be on the breech threads, barrel threads, barrel to breech interface, etc. Breechpugs are not interchangeable!!!! They need to be fitted. Ideally, the threaded portion (malefitting) face and the exterior face should just touch when snugged up. Inlettng black or similar is needed to do this right, plus a judicious use of a lathe or one hell of a filing job......

Boolit Master
    If the Thread isn't bottoming out,file a little off the barrel face then try it then file a little more,at the same time check the Thread for bottoming.Repeat until the Plug is flush and squares up with the Flats.You now have a fitted Plug.

Boolit Buddy

Check back with TOTW One of our club members bought a TC take off barrel and TOTW said they had plugs BUT the threads were NOT the same as TC. You may be going just far enough in that the threads are now binding?

Boolit Master
    Was able to get it done last night and shooting today .Turns out I had to file the barrel ,threads were no longer making contact but I spent a enjoyable evening and some of the morning ,(I"m slow) and should have quit 8 strokes sooner as fit leaves a little gap ! The good news it shoots Great Plains 50 cal paper patched great
    with a 1-28 twist . Deer are in trouble /Thanks for all your help /Ed