RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Procedure question

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Being in Georgia, I would assume it is rather humid. I would pull and clean.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Once I spent far too long shooting several BP guns. Decided to leave the muzzleloader too morning as many claimed it was no issue. Had shot Pyrodex through it and had one heck of a mess the next day. Later I was told if you can't clean up that day to use an oil such as Ballistol that will soak into the fouling leaving no room for moisture. I tried this leaving my revolvers in the hot and humid garage for a couple of days and found no issue at all.
    When you do that, you push the fouling down to the top of the projectile, leaving a nice place to make a corrosion ring in your barrel.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Well the gun went boom but I missed 3 absolutely gimme shots on squrriel gonna check my sights when I get home something seems off.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    Well the gun went boom but I missed 3 absolutely gimme shots on squrriel gonna check my sights when I get home something seems off.

Fraid I just missed gun is dead on still...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    When you do that, you push the fouling down to the top of the projectile, leaving a nice place to make a corrosion ring in your barrel.

Granted I've not done this in anything other than my unloaded revolvers I'd think that if the fouling has absorbed oil there's no room for water to create corrosion, which is what keeps those revolvers safe. No?

Quote Originally Posted by rodwha View Post
    Granted I've not done this in anything other than my unloaded revolvers I'd think that if the fouling has absorbed oil there's no room for water to create corrosion, which is what keeps those revolvers safe. No?
    I was referring to fake powder. If a trace is there, it will corrode.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by aarolar View Post
    I discharged my hawken this afternoon, took out a nasty coyote, reloaded and finished my hunt. Didn't see any deer I'm planning on going again in the morning, should I pull the load and clean the gun or should I just leave it loaded and hunt tomorrow I'd certainly pull or shoot and clean tomorrow.

I do not leave any muzzleloader loaded overnight if it has been shot, which in my case they always would be...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12