Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boat gun

Boolit Master
    My Savage S/S 311's have been with me in duck boats and more recently hunting kayaks for the last 30 years. All of my hunting has been in saltwater (or at least brackish). There isn't much bluing left on either but they are never allowed to sit once I get home but are taken down and oiled thoroughly inside and out. Next week will be the first trip out since the ducks are in and the tides are right to launch the kayak.

Banned

Bill.
    those 311 and 312's are starting to be sought after if they are in good workable shape.
    the very early 312's are actually very nice guns and were rebranded higher end 'plain janes'

In Remembrance
    I received my first firearm, a 20 gauge single shot at 9 years old. The very first outing with my new shotgun was across the ship channel to some islands that had some pretty good rabbit hunting.
    By the time we got back there was surface rust on my gun, I thought my brand new gun was ruined. lol
    Dad had me wipe it down and all the rust came off very easily, leaving no trace. I learned that day that a blued gun is fine for even a saltwater boat gun, unless a guy just wants to leave it on the boat and not take care of it.

Quilbilly, if my old M99 savage is any indicator, it is my opinion the steel savage used back then (30's) was somewhat rust resistant. Mine had hardly any blueing on it when I got it in the 70's and even after several years on the gulf coast, she didn't rust.

Banned
    To All,

My preferred Boat Gun is a 12 gauge single-barrel. = IF you are stopped/questioned about having a firearm on board, tell the G&F officer/USCG that it's for shooting sharks.
    (I once had a NICE 12-gauge pump "confiscated" by a G&F officer. = NEVER again.)

Having lost more than one NICE gun while afloat, I'll keep carrying my cheap single-barrel, as if it is stolen/lost over the side, I won't weep.
    (Where it's lawful, I also wear a S&W 9mm Shield on my belt 24/365.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-21-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: addenda

[QUOTE=Artful;4182919]I don't go boating anymore - but what fit the bill in the past

.410 snake charmer

Stainless Remington 870 12 ga

Stainless Ruger Mini-14

Ruger Stainless 357 Revolver

Revolver because I don't want to slip on an ejected round/case

Important thing is rust resistance

If you are going up against something and you need to shoot an engine
    I'd be wanting a stainless bolt action in at least 375 H&H Mag

Ruger / Savage whatever[/QUOTE
    I was GM in sporting goods in Seattle for a number of years. Leading up to halibut season each year, we couldn't get our hands on enough of those little snake charmer 410 single shots!! Brings back memories!!
    A government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

Boolit Master

Come on the answer to all three questions is whatever is in my pocket at the time. Geeesh!

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Come on the answer to all three questions is whatever is in my pocket at the time. Geeesh!
    What works for one may be totally useless to another, anything I could fit in my pocket would never work for any of the three questions.

Boolit Master

I carry a old HR 9 shot .22 when canoeing, that way if I lose it no biggie.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    A good holster for my handgun. Next is a tethered. $49.95 Spanish mauser with a $34 6.5 Swede carbine barrel. If I lose the carbine, no great loss. If I lose whatever pistol I'm wearing, ... Well, I guess it's secondary, as I'm dead.
    When the Cambrian measures were forming, They promised perpetual peace.
    They swore, if we gave them our weapons, that the wars of the tribes would cease.
    But when we disarmed They sold us and delivered us bound to our foe,
    And the Gods of the Copybook Headings said: "Stick to the Devil you know."

Boolit Master

My boat gun is an H&R topper in 20 ga. I removed all the oil with acetone and coat it with JPW once per year. On a stock cuff are two #4 buck and 3 71/2s. It is stowed in a case that looks like an expensive rod case.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    Bill.
    those 311 and 312's are starting to be sought after if they are in good workable shape.
    the very early 312's are actually very nice guns and were rebranded higher end 'plain janes'
    I know. I almost hate to take my 20 ga 311 out onto the salt chuck. Almost. That 20 ga feels sooo.. good and makes so many ducks fall out of the sky that I hardly ever take out the 12 ga anymore unless the geese are hanging around the bay.

Boolit Master
    Old beat up single barrel with assortment of shells. Also a handgun with a lanyard loop attached to me. As far as a rifle.... idk. Old shoot able bolt? Sks seems to almost always work no mater how gunked up

Boolit Grand Master
    A model 66 has gone to sea with me a couple of times. I took a post 64 m-94 with me in a canoe but in a floating Gun Case That I bought from Cabelas some years ago. I think a stainless 22 with a lanyard might have some use
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by texasnative46 View Post
    To All,

My preferred Boat Gun is a 12 gauge single-barrel. = IF you are stopped/questioned about having a firearm on board, tell the G&F officer/USCG that it's for shooting sharks.
    (I once had a NICE 12-gauge pump "confiscated" by a G&F officer. = NEVER again.)

Having lost more than one NICE gun while afloat, I'll keep carrying my cheap single-barrel, as if it is stolen/lost over the side, I won't weep.
    (Where it's lawful, I also wear a S&W 9mm Shield on my belt 24/365.)

yours, tex
    What was the reason for taking the shotgun? It's not illegal to cyarry guns on boats in Texas last I heard. I'm in Texas at the moment and have 20+ years of boating experience in Tx.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I got a Hi Point .45 pistol specifically for this purpose. After having lost dozens of guns over board, I wanted a cheap one to lose next time.
    that pretty much ensures you'll have it forever.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master
    5" is the minimum acceptable caliber in a boat gun, single turret. Normally, I'm a " go big or go home" advocate but the weight of 10" - 12" guns is an issue and the advances in naval ordnance make the 5" gun very versatile.

Boolit Grand Master

Hi Point. Clean it when you can, if it falls overboard you won't cry like you would with a SW Model 19
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    I think whatever you decide on, stainless or corrosion-resistant is your friend. For inland waters ,where ranges are likely to be shorter, any stainless S&W K-frame or Ruger medium frame would work. Have a local gunsmith attach a lanyard ring to it, and put a lanyard on it. If one can be found, a stainless steel side-by-side shotgun, 20 gauge or larger, with 22-24" barrels and exposed hammers would probably work. Put a lanyard on THAT one, also.

If you're looking for something to use in coastal waters, you are likely to need something with more reach. I'm not sure how to advise you on that. Maybe an SKS?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Master

I carrt my Highpoint C9 with me while boating and fishing here in the swamps. Darn gators.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    5" is the minimum acceptable caliber in a boat gun, single turret. Normally, I'm a " go big or go home" advocate but the weight of 10" - 12" guns is an issue and the advances in naval ordnance make the 5" gun very versatile.

All I got to say is OoooooooRahhhhh on your choice of ordnance tailored to your vehicle.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast