RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox

Thread: Will a "larger" GC allow higher velocity/pressure ?

Will a "larger" GC allow higher velocity/pressure ?

My friend is making gas check makers and he's playing around with making gas checks thicker and deeper so they make more surface area on the bullet.

He thinks doing this will allow him to push his lead harder without stripping.

Is his thought correct? I'm wondering as i have thick copper GC and thin ALUM ones to. but i shoot them with the same charge and see no difference in POI nor accuracy.
    Lake Havasu City... Born and raised

Boolit Master
    I dunno, but I'll take my .45 gas checks that I make an will put them on my .44 bullets that need them. They squeeze Right on and accuracy is not affected. I make mine from a doubled over and flattened out Pepsi can. They don't separate.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I have gas checks of different lengths and have used my .270 gas checks on my 6.5m bullets. I haven't noticed a difference. Is your friend selling these makers? Could use a few. Would be cool if someone could design one based off a rod and bushing interchangeability. That way all you need is one tool and swap bushings and rods for different calibers.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

The really thick and log ones are called jacketed bullets!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    The really thick and log ones are called jacketed bullets!!
    And the ones a little shorter than that are called half jackets
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I made him a few hundred noe ranchdog 165s in a barter deal. He wants to try and get water cooled WW alloy up to 2300/2500 fps for hunting.

He's going to have me load up some of my. Hunting loads with his gas checks and see if they keep POI of my regular 8mm checks i use.

Boolit Master

Just remember that even half-jackets have to be loaded with care to prevent barrel leading so I'm not sure what the advantage that a half-jacket or Quarter-Jacket would have over a standard gas checked bullet other than covering potential lube grooves with bullet-jacket material
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master
    My guess is that there will not be any advantage over a standard gas check. But I applaud a fellow who has an idea and gives it a try. And if it allows extra velocity with accuracy? Well, a bunch of us would really like to hear about it!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Paper patching would allow even faster driving of that boolit

How are people making gas checks out of Aluminum cans? I've seen that but not seen anything about making them yet. SO much to catch up on

I'm interested in paper patching but im not too fluid in if there's a specific patch for the bullet nor how to size right.

I'm reading but I'm having trouble finding a common ground between shooters

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by LAKEMASTER View Post
    My friend is making gas check makers and he's playing around with making gas checks thicker and deeper so they make more surface area on the bullet.

He thinks doing this will allow him to push his lead harder without stripping.

Is his thought correct? I'm wondering as i have thick copper GC and thin ALUM ones to. but i shoot them with the same charge and see no difference in POI nor accuracy.
    My 2˘
    I would think that a thicker GC would be best if installed on a boolit with a smaller GC shank.

If you were to size/crimp a thick GC onto a boolit with a GC shank that is the proper size for a proper thickness of GC, then I suspect you will be displacing some amount of Lead alloy and possibly deforming the boolit. But if that happens concentrically it shouldn't be a problem.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Thick GC problem will be in sizing, - getting the edge in the sizer - not the shank. I have no problem getting 4%Sb up to 2700 in 308. Solution looking for a problem.
    Whatever!