PBcastcoLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with that steel!

Boolit Man
    Ous have a hard time cleaning my underwear after that one

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I remember taking a shot at a ceramic/cast iron bathtub 100 yards or so distant once. The 240gr cast whooshed past my ear a split second later. It had entered the tub skimming the right wall, curved around the inside front end of the tub around to the left side and back out at me. It went BANG-WHOOSH. It was a most serious wake-up call. Could have been dead without suspecting anything was about to happen but God heaped on the mercy in that moment.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 10-24-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    While in the Corps once doing a live fire I was next to the crappy machine gun jamming every 3rd round. Right after cease fire called I heard pop pop pop. Felt something hit my arm. The bad rounds cooked off and I was hit by a chunk of brass! I was about 12 ft. away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Check this 50 cal ricochet shown in this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=50+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by Camba View Post
    Check this 50 cal ricochet shown in this link:

https://www.google.com/search?q=50+c...hrome&ie=UTF-8
    Oh yeah........that one was a dandy. First time I've seen the slo mo video and notice the round strike about 40' in front of the shooter.

Boolit Master
    I use this flowchart as a reference. Never shoot at mild or unknown steel, never shoot random junk just to see it explode, and I personally think Tannerite has been more of a plague than a boon. Always observe safe distance as well, and make sure they're mounted properly.

After read this post i am glad i made my bullet stop the way I did .I use chip board for to put the target on and sand is about 3 1/2' deep and rail road ties on the sides and back. I just change the chip board when needed .I have 2 layers of chip board space with a 2x4. with it being flat so little space. years ago did had a BB from a BB gun came back on me and that was the last time.
    When in the navy I did had brass hit me from the others gun on the side of me when I was honer guard doing Mil. funerals .At the time.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Many years ago I shot a plate match as a side match during a PPC match. Second round I fired came back and grazed my neck. I missed the next two plates but hit the last two! Felt like a hard slap but just raised a welt that bled only enough to cause a wardrobe (shirt) change. I haven't shot much steel since then.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Was in a quarry many years back. Had a metal tree setup with steel plates on Chains at 100 yds. Shooting 7.62 x39 steel core and heard a metallic bang behind our shooting line. There was a nice dent in the rear panel of my pickup truck. Went right between the 4 of us shooting that day. So yeh things happen.

Peace

Boolit Master
    I had a swedged 45acp bullet bounce back off of the bottom of a 55gal steel drum and hit me in the chest right where my heart is. It barely hit me hard enough to feel it. I felt it, looked down and picked it up. It was almost completely flat like a silver 1/2 dollar.

What worst than steel is porcelain toilets. Those thing SHOOT BACK !!!!!!

Motor

I wish my boolits would hold together when I shoot Steel so I could recover them. They pretty much vaporize.

Boolit Master
    IIRC when IHMSA first started the Field Pistol game, the steel chickens were placed at 25yards. Due to several reports of bullet fragments returning to the firing line, the distance was changed to 40 yards. I have Field Pistol sized targets set at 40 yards at my range, and in the past 18 years, I can recall of only two bullets that came back. Thankfully no one was injured, and I require all shooters to use both ear and eye protection.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

So do OLD refrigerators with 12ga. loads - they don't even dent - from 3 ft, both barrels! & I did it 3 times! Don't know what kind of load, just bought a box at the local gas station but it didn't knock the porcelain off the fridge. We do stupid things when young. Fortunately I was wearing jeans - no glasses - dummy. SIL wanted to shoot an old propane tank with 9mm, I recommended he not do that at any close range.
    Whatever!

Boolit Man

Gents,

I've had .22 rimfire bounce back and tickle my belly when shooting at several stacked thicknesses of plaster board.
    The bounce-back caused no injury, but, had it struck an eyeball instead of a belly, the result might have been different.

My grandpa used to laugh as he told the story of his boyish experience shooting his BB-gun at the heads of loaded 12 gauge shotshells. Seems he and a buddy were plinking away to see who could "pop the cap" on a shotshell placed atop a fence post, and grandpa was apparently the better shot.

When his BB connected with the shell's primer, the uncontained shell case became a very formidable projectile that -- at a range of about 20 feet -- popped him squarely between the eyes and raised a painful lump on his forehead.

On another topic, I'm not sure I understand "Charlie3tuna's" admonition in post #16 about danger of plinking in creek beds. Are you referring, Charlie, to the danger of ricochets off the surface of the water, or is there some other inherent danger in creek beds of which I'm unaware?

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Boolit Master
    A friend and I bought a box of old bowling pins and the guy at the store warned us not to shoot them at close range cause they will shoot back. While I was loading my magazines my buddy started shooting at them and was struggling to hit them. He walked up a little closer and hit it and the dang thing came back and hit him on the ankle. His ankle swelled up instantly and he couldn’t walk on it. Had to take him to the ER to make sure it wasn’t broken. It did chip a small piece off the bone but not big enough for the doctors to do anything about.
    After that one I didn’t shoot the pins with anything smaller than 357mag full house loads and much further away.

Local indoor range near where I used to live they had a bowling pin league. Most of the guys were using 10mm but a few were using 45acp. One guy was using 230gr ball ammo and had one come back and hit him square in the head. Knocked him out and cut him pretty good. Everyone thought the bullet had went into his skull but it just broke the skin. He was rushed to the ER and the pin league ended. I only got to shoot two matches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Back when I was a teenager, a friend gave me an old Iver Johnson breaktop revolver and a tobacco sack full of 32 S&W Long's. I then proceeded down to the railroad station and set up some tin cans on a stack of newly creosoted oak railroad ties. I fired my first shot and was immediately thumped right in the knee cap. At first I didn't realize what had happened until I looked down to where I was standing and saw a bullet lying on the ground. The bullet didn't penetrate the skin or do any lasting damage but I nursed a mighty sore knee for a while and learned a very valuable lesson-be certain of a SAFE backstop!!

Boolit Master

Shot at a 45 gal oil drum full of ice with an old webley in 380/200. At 12 paces the bullet would hit, flatten right out and bounce back and land about a pace in front of me.
    Be careful shooting at ice and frozen trees, most bullets get deflected but had one come back toward me, that was enough.
    Be safe
    Last edited by leebuilder; 01-27-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

More velocity less bounce back. If your rounds are scooting down range fast they splatter and you don't have much trouble, but if we load mouse farts well ya better stick to paper. Placing the steel at a slight downward angle is also good practice. I like shooting steel and Bowling Pins too bounce backs happen but it shouldn't happen often if we use common sense and good practices.

I was shooting a .45 Colt at a steel pepper popper during a cowboy match and my bullet hit the target and came back and hit me in the chest. This happened in two other matches and I could see the bullet coming back at me and couldn't move as I watched it come back and hit me in the chest. It stung, but God was watching over me.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Mold
    nobody ever shot a frisbee with a bb pistol, i have the chip in my tooth still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast