Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Be careful with that steel!

Be careful with that steel!

Got out my 9mm 1911 today, hadn't shot it in several months, had 4 mags and fired off those pretty quick. Loaded up a couple more with some 147gr that I had made for use with my silencer. Light loads and actually easy on the hands,way more than the 95gr I had used earlier. Thought I had a case hit my leg, others kicked out 3 or 4 feet. Strange. Finished that mag and looked down to find this attachment my feet. Be careful shooting steel, I was 35 feet away. No issue before.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    Got out my 9mm 1911 today, hadn't shot it in several months, had 4 mags and fired off those pretty quick. Loaded up a couple more with some 147gr that I had made for use with my silencer. Light loads and actually easy on the hands,way more than the 95gr I had used earlier. Thought I had a case hit my leg, others kicked out 3 or 4 feet. Strange. Finished that mag and looked down to find this attachment my feet. Be careful shooting steel, I was 35 feet away. No issue before.

Oh, it lost zero weight. Weights 149gr....

Is your steel mounted firm,as in no swing? I have not had any issues ,,my plates have a downward tilt and are on free hanging chains.

That would bother me if that came back home...

Boolit Master
    My son was shooting his AR and thought a horsefly bit him on the left bicep. No, it was a bullet that bounced back from his steel target and went through his arm. No serious damage.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I have had bits of boolits come back and hit me at indoor ranges several times. The owners told me that wasn't possible. After I complained about it on three separate days they finally checked and found out it really was happening.
    I knew the bits were from my loads since they were powder coated.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been to cowboy shoots as an observer and have seen lead shot from low power loads come bouncing back, I imagine not enough power to move the plate and deflect downward, the plates were heavy and hung from hook hangers not chain.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

In Remembrance
    Learned all about by the time I started school, with a bb gun, except it was a board instead of steel.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't think I've been to a match with steel and not been hit by something, rarely draw blood. Angled down, falling, or free swinging it helps, but it's not 100%. I do not play about eyepro.

Full weight riccochets are less common, but low velocity will do that.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

My first was a .41 special load swc fired at a junk tire, came back & hit me in the knee. It scared me more than hurt me. Several of my friends got hit by rebounds when we were into bowling pins. I got hit in the forehead & knocked down by a 19 gr piece of .45 acp that came back from a steel target. It happens. I don't shoot the above targets any more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Angle that steel down. I don't shoot at any
    steel closer than 50 yards with handguns and 100 with rifles.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Super Moderator

A buddy of mine shot some surplus 8mm Mauser at a short section of old railroad track. It swirled right back at him and put him in the hospital with a wound in the thigh. Another friend shot a bowling ball with a 30-06 and he got a plastic frag in the eye. Yes...be very mindful of what you are shooting at!

Boolit Buddy

Wow! That's scary. I've shot myself before by firing a cap and ball revolver at a tree - the ball bounced back and hit me. I was dumb enough to fire a second time, and the second ball hit me too.

Boolit Master

Had an Air Force buddy catch a Portuguese .308 slug on the rebound in his wrist after it hit the steel target holder leg. His buddy was aiming for it intentionally. He had to go to the hospital to have it cut out. It traveled about an inch under the skin and then came to a stop.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Off and on over the years I've seen 45 ACP ball "rebound" from hitting the 25 yard steel turning frames at various USMC bases.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

My first was a 215gr 41 mag that was down loaded to the chest. Left a quarter sized bruised. That was over 20 years ago. Thankfully no major injuries over the years.

Boolit Buddy
    Speaking of ricochets, I assume everyone has heard the stupid warning about shooting in creek beds? Never had any problems until the last time when the 22LR "zinged" past my head. Naturally I was wearing muffs to protect my hearing....charlie

Boolit Master
    I have a scar on the inside of my right thigh from a .308 fired at a steel plate set at 100 Yards.
    Just grazed my skin about 1/4" deep and cut the inner seam on my jeans.

Hadn't responded since posting, I have three types of targets. One is hard popper headshaped on a 4x4. I think it was that one. Three swinging rounds on chains, do need to work on keeping them totally square wen shooting and a little dueling tree. Was a low velocity round that usually goes thru suppressed,but didn't. Several hits didn't always move the popper back, but is angled slightly down, need to move angle more I think. Yes always eye protection! For everyone!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    Angle that steel down. I don't shoot at any
    steel closer than 50 yards with handguns and 100 with rifles.
    That's a little extreme for handguns. I've shot steel for many years and a lot closer than 50 yards !

I got a 22 frag in the belly recently, just a welt but scared me pretty good. I was testing a boolit trap I built, and I got the entrance angle to the spin chamber wrong. It did occur to me that I was glad I used a 22 and not the 45-70.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast