Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering about BHN hardness in Skeeter's 44 Special loads

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    Bear in mind that Elmer considered 8% tin as hard cast. Blow that hard enough and it will obturate to fill throats.

Boolit Master
    Again we go back to when he was done experimenting. He recommended 1-16 tin and lead as his "hard" alloy.
    Agained sized .429" for the 44's.

My copy of sixguns is on loan to a new shooter but I do know that EK did discuss that a cylinder with throats smaller than bore needed replacing. He also mentioned different sizing diameters for different guns based on measurements. He was not in favor of using the botre to size down boolits a lot and often sized to groove diameter. You are correct he used 16-1 as hard alloy. My point is that EK at least did some work with throat diameters although he did seem to lean toward sizing boolits to groove. Sixguns is one of my favorite books but it is not especially well organized.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    Everyone when doing there experimenting faze tries different things. Most finally settle on a couple things and that is it. This after they find out the biggest equation in handgun accuracy when not on the bench is the shooter. Most work needs to be in the shooter.

Boolit Master
    I know for a fact that he had a micrometer.

Dick

Boolit Master
    "I know for a fact that he had a micrometer.

Dick"

Thanks, coming from you that is good information. But the fact remains in his later years he never mentioned any sizing different than .429" for a 44 caliber revolver. In his earlier years when he was experimenting he mentioned throats and their diameters but he still stressed groove diameters mainly and sizing for them.
    Again, if you have any substantiated writings let me know. As I said previously I think he came back to realizing the biggest equation in handgun shooting was the shooter. I believe he rarely if ever mentioned any sizing diameter other than .429" after he realized that. He could have taken a revolver that grouped 4 inches at 50 yds from the bench and outshot most on here if the others were shooting a revolver that grouped 2 inches at 50 yds off the bench shooting from field positions. Not bench rest.
    The thought I could be wrong is a great possibility. Even though I was a big follower of his and called him two or three times a year from the mid 70's to just before he had the stroke that he never recovered from. I never rubbed shoulders with him as many of you evidentially did.
    Let's get back to the OP. In his post #4 he said he had "awesome" results with a particular load. If it were awesome he should be satisfied. I know I would be.
    What more does he need but awesome? Maybe the most awesomeness of awesome?
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 10-24-2017 at 04:40 AM.

Boolit Master
    I know personally if I find a load that groups well, but I am aware of problems that can be addressed, I tend to address them, knowing it sure isn't going to make things worse, and will likely make things better. If I read the OP correctly, he has a variance in throat diameters, and has a decent sized thread choke.

If it were my gun, I would lap out the choke, then ship the cylinder to Doug to be evened up. I highly doubt he will be disappointed in the result of a little work, and very few dollars spent. Or leave it alone and be happy with "good enough".

Boolit Master
    Going by the OP'S #4 post he said awesome on that one load. Not good enough.

Boolit Master

Maybe I am missing the point, but I let the target tell me what the load should be.
    Just because Skeeter and his gun liked 7.5 grains does not mean it will perform well in yours or mine.
    Precision on paper being the measure of performance I let lead the quest.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master

I think most of use too hard an alloy especially in wheel guns! Elmer's 16/1 alloy came out about 10-11 tbn if I remember correctly and ol Elmer called that hard! I use a 50/50 wheelweight lead mixture, air cooled, in 38's and 44 specials, adding Tin only if I start having fill out problems. My favorite loads for both use Unique, 5.0 in 38 and 7.5 in 44 special. I use Elmer's SWC boolets in both from RCBS molds. If you decide to try these loads PLEASE start out lighter and work up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12