RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Well, that was decisive.

Boolit Master

Well, that was decisive.

Used the RUGER 77/44 on a deer for the first time this past Monday evening.

DECISIVE!

Shooting a 275/280gr Wide Flat Nose cast from a Accurate Mold #432275M which is made for the triple 4 Marin.

I cast this bullet for a son's .444 and decided to give it a go in the little RUGER.

In spite of testing a verity of powders, I have yet to find one that gives me the groups and consistency I desire at 100yds. with this bullet.

The powder used for this deer was LilGun and the group about 3" a 100yds.

However, a 95- 100yds side on shot put the critter own where it stood with complete penetration.

Velocity right at 1750fps

Just received a new mold from Tom at Accurate Mold yesterday, and during the winter will get some of the 240gr WFN bullets cast up. Mold Number 43-240AG

Also have a new .432 sizing die, ordered from Buffalo Arms on hand, so will test bullets sized both the .432 but also .431.

The put down was, as said, decisive so if I can get the groups I desire this little rifle would get er done on deer at 150yds.

Velocity with the new bullet should be will into the 1800s and maybe into the 19s considering that the 275/280gr cast was tested into the upper 18s.

Winter will allow plenty of time to come up withy a new testing plan, but hope to fine a good load before I need to test all the on hand powders again!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    Last edited by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot; 10-20-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Vendor Sponsor
    Good on you Coot! Put a large caliber boolit in the right place will put venison in the freezer every time. Your accuracy quest may be easier with a little less velocity. Good luck on your project.

Boolit Master

Where'd you hit it?

Boolit Bub
    Nice work CDOC!

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet! I'm getting 1850fps with my 262g devistors in my 77/44. I didn't try only but a couple loads and have some more testing to do. I've tried the Lee 300g out of it as well with the best load did around a 2.5" grouping at a 100 yards.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-21-2017 at 09:46 AM.

Boolit Master
    Silvercreek,

Funny, your "handle" made me check out your location. There is a Silvercreek not far from Salem, Oregon and on it, at least one very pretty falls. Strangely enough called, Silvercreek Falls. Last time I was to the valley, I took a trip back through nostalgia and took the wife on a side run to the falls. Well over fifty years since I'd been to the park.

Anyway, on to your question. Thought I hit just back of the shoulder and a bit high almost into the back strap.

However, during the butchering process found that I had center punched the near side shoulder blade after which the bullet went through the bone just below the back straps and then exited.

Not quite the oft said, able to eat right up to the hole with cast bullets, but close and no MINCED bone and tissue as would be expected with a "J" bullet.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Mold Number 43-240AG
    I use this bullet in my 44mag with good results, and run them in the neighborhood of 1800 using IMR4227. In my Henry it's a shooter.

Boolit Master
    Thanks Claude ---

Maybe I'll need to add the IMR4227 to my list of tested powders.

With the triple 4 bullet, I tried, LilGun, H110, AA#9, MP300, H4227, Unique, Blue Dot and 2400.

I'll likely put LilGun and H110 towards the front in my up coming test loads.

23.3gr of LilGun is what was used for this first .44mag deer using the #432275M (Accurate Molds) triple 4 bullet.

Of course, I'll start with the new .432 sizing die, but if promising results are seen and I test to possibly fine tune or if that sizing is a flop, I'll likely also test the .431 size used with the triple 4 bullet.

With the load work ups, I likely see velocities starting in the 16 - 17s and see what develops as pressures and velocities increase.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Any carnage photos?

Congrats on your deer and the clean kill. I never shot the 44mag. In a rifle, but I did use imr4227 for hot cast loads in my handguns way back when.
    I used h110 for jacketed. The 4227 seemed more accurate for cast loads. I always loved the smell of the 4227 when fired too.
    The only other powder I tried for the handguns was unique in reduced loads.

Good luck with your load work.

Boolit Master
    I've tried to load images, but it always fails.

Maybe my image file is too large.?.?.?

Can't say and I've not had this problem before. However, the images are from another camera that has a heavier load of pixels.

CDOC

Good job Crusty!!! and good to hear from you. I did not hear of an early elk on your part, are you going to go with black powder in December? JW

Boolit Master
    Morn'in JW,

I'll send a P.M. your way or and "E" to your wife's "E" address.

Maybe out with the .44 again this evening for the second tag.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Grand Master
    Way to go Crusty
    glad to see you out there giving it to em
    I plan on using my 45-70 this year with a
    Gould boolit with 70 gr.of goex just for old times sake
    keep after em
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post

Can't say and I've not had this problem before. However, the images are from another camera that has a heavier load of pixels.

CDOC
    Try This

Posting pictures using IMGUR
    1 Go to https://imgur.com/
    Select sign up
    Fill out information or register with: facebook, twitter, Google+ or Yahoo account
    select auto resize, select 640x480
    Select new post, upload image, browse, select your image from your computer and click open
    Hover mouse over your chosen name (top right toolbar) and select images
    Left click on the image you want to post
    Then click on COPY next to [BBCode (message boards & forums)]
    Go to the post you want to put the image in, either right click and select paste or hit [Ctrl + V]
    Save your post and you're done.

Boolit Buddy
    CDOC, I am not that familiar with mold numbers. Can you tell me what the profile for that particular bullet is?

Boolit Grand Master
    i think this is the one he referring to
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-275M-D.png
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post

CDOC
    If the images don't load, yes, probably too large. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Open the photo in that program-then click on edit pictures- then on the right side on the bottom is a button saying "Compress" -click that and select the thing that says "documents" and click OK. Then save it as a different name so it does not change the original picture but keeps a smaller sized one.
    This may sound hard but it it really easy. Once you do it you are all set for the next time. If you don't have Microsoft Office Picture Manager, there are a ton of other programs that will do it. Many free ones. If you want, you can send me a PM and I will walk you through getting a free program set up and working for you. I am a certified PC tech.

Boolit Master
    Grmps,

You should hire out for writing pooter instructions, or at least to teach how to do it!

CIC,

Go to the Accurate Molds web site and then the catalog where on page 12 (about 10 to 14) you can find the 43-240AG mold.

It has a good sized meplat for a .44 caliber cast bullet, not a "wad cutter" by any means but without measuring it, it looks to be very close to the same size as the meplat on the triple 4 - #432275M bullet which I was using on this last deer.

Traffer, THANKS! You may just be the next best thing to having a resident 4 year old.

That is a standard joke around here with pooter issues. I need a 4 year old to show me how to do it.

I'm off for a 4 wheeler ride to a friends. He and his wife both got 5 point bull elk in the last few days and they have offered us a quarter.

Funny part is this happened all within about 300yds of where Doug has taken a number of other elk and I have shot 4 - 45/70 elk. Is this "the spot" or what?

Because I hunt antlerless elk in a early but HOT season, I hunt if Doug is available to help me get er out and into his big walk in cooler and don't hunt if he is gone or other wise busy. I'm too old and weak to get er done in a timely manner when the temps will be going into the 90s or possibly higher. I hunt starting before daylight and am walking out by 7:30 - 8 in the morning.

So, if I get a critter, Doug gets half so this quarter is pay back I guess.

Anyway, with the help of you much smarter guys maybe I can get some images posted. I don't have problems with my Nikon D200 but it, although a whale of a lot better camera then the pocket sized Nikon Coolpix has less pixels then the slightly newer but smaller camera. (10 compared to 12.1).

So, I'm thinking it is file size that is messing me up.

Back later.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    Way to go Crusty
    glad to see you out there giving it to em
    I plan on using my 45-70 this year with a
    Gould boolit with 70 gr.of goex just for old times sake
    keep after em
    I'm going to use 2F kik. Have you chronographed that load yet?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast