WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 BlowMore

Boolit Grand Master
    I have "burnt out" a couple of barrels, torched the throats/leade. The quickest was a 243, about 1k rounds. The longest, about 6k rounds. Have seen a contender barrel with the first few inches of the barrel, ahead of the chamber, having rifling that was barely discernable.

Boolit Master
    Some people shoot more than others.

When I have a rifle I like I'll run through 50 rounds a week. So, yeah, I consider the 'barrel burning' potential of a cartridge before buying one.

Boolit Master
    Also, I would think that in a place like this where we know how to make mouse fart/cat sneeze loads we could do our plinking with a .308 and leave the .264 for the antelope and mountain goat. There are lots of ways to get trigger time.
    USMC 6638

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    Also, I would think that in a place like this where we know how to make mouse fart/cat sneeze loads we could do our plinking with a .308 and leave the .264 for the antelope and mountain goat. There are lots of ways to get trigger time.
    Now you're talking. Barrels love cast bullets!!!

I know the barrel burning story on 264mag. I fooled with them some in early 60s I had two pre 64
    M70s. I bought them both used off original owners who weren't loaders. They were getting rid of
    them because they weren't able to get decent accuracy out of them with factory ammo. I think
    a lot of the bad rep they got was from the factory load available back then.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Some people shoot more than others.
    Then load accordingly or plan on barrel replacement. Many High Power/Palma shooters buy multiple barrels at one time.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I know the barrel burning story on 264mag. I fooled with them some in early 60s I had two pre 64
    M70s. I bought them both used off original owners who weren't loaders. They were getting rid of
    them because they weren't able to get decent accuracy out of them with factory ammo. I think
    a lot of the bad rep they got was from the factory load available back then.
    I never could figure out why the 7mm Rem Mag was the best thing since sliced bread yet the .264 with its .020" smaller bullet was a barrel burning piece of junk??? Odd considering it basically the same case. Too many people read and repeat the same BS.

Same for the 220 Swift. People that don't use them claim case stretching and barrel life issues. Funny thing is the people that own and use them don't share that opinion. I love the 220 Swift. Due to the taper in the case oversizing will give you more growth than some but with proper sizing case growth is the same as any cartridge in this class. Same for barrel life. This opinion is based on around 9,000 rounds of 220 Swift thru three different barrels.

As much as I love the Swift I am currently not shooting them due to a plethora of 22-250 Tikka 595 barrels that I have in stock that I have converted to 22-250AI. While the 22-250AI equals the velocity of the Swift it is far more finicky on loads and its spiky on pressure.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-28-2017 at 09:23 PM.

Banned

M-tec it may have gotten started by a few of them that went out and blasted hundred's of prairie dogs on a regular basis. You get your barrel plently hot shooting prairie dogs and many bring more then one rifle so as to alternate between them.

Winchest had stainless barrels on some of those 220's didn't they?

Boolit Master
    I believe that Remington only put stainless barrels on their 7mm mag rifles because of the bad press from the .264 Win. They were used on blued rifles and were indistinguishable from blued carbon steel. I know the one I had was but that was in the 80's. It was a 700 Classic. Wish I still had it. I bought it brand new in 1983 from Carter's Country in Pasadena, TX for the huge sum of $252.00. It never shot a single group over an inch.
    Last edited by oldblinddog; 10-28-2017 at 10:38 PM.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    M-tec it may have gotten started by a few of them that went out and blasted hundred's of prairie dogs on a regular basis. You get your barrel plently hot shooting prairie dogs and many bring more then one rifle so as to alternate between them.

Winchest had stainless barrels on some of those 220's didn't they?
    I have averaged about 4,000 rounds a year on prairie dogs in 1986. Lowest year was about 2,200 and highest was around 6,500. Other than load development and shooting fox and coyotes every one of the Swift's apx 9,000 rounds was fired at prairie dogs.

The first Model 54 & 70 Swift barrels were of a steel not suitable for a cartridge like the Swift. I have read that Winchester did use some SS barrels on the early guns after the initial bad press. I could care less since lots has changed since 1935 with powder and barrel steel.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...omment-page-1/

Barrel heat is definitely a factor on barrel life but barrels can handle more sustained shooting than most give them credit.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Banned

Interesting read. Pretty much what I've read about it. They really didn't have good powders for it when it first came out. I thought I was going to read in that it was derived from the 6mm Lee cartridge. There's another round way ahead of it's time. I've never owned one and not because of the myths, but because I didn't have a use for it. You're lucky to have them!

Banned
    The past has passed.

Better steel, 3 groove rifling, 5 R rifling and Nitriding have put to bed the barrel burner myth for any normal shooting.

My gunsmith has 22-250 and 220 Swift P-dog shooters with 5K+ rounds down the tube with no loss of accuracy or velocity.

No big game hunter will ever burn out a barrel killing big game and an annual sight in.

Bore scoped a lot of used, "inaccurate" M70 and 700s in 264 Win Mag. Yet to see a bad throat. Terrible fouling from terrible ammo. With a proper cleaning (Sweets) and good handloads, they all shot great.

Just bought a 40 year old No. 1V in Swift ---- 5 in 5". Sweets, Acetone, JB brite bore w/Kroil on VFG pellets, Acetone, Dyna Tek bore coating ----- 5 in 3/4"

Bought it cheap as when bore scoped it looked like a sewer pipe.

It should take a lot of shooting to burn out a 6.5 Creedmore because hot it is not. It's getting popular but velocity is not the reason. I'm a hunter and I would proudly use it- but I have many other cartridges that give up nothing in hunting performance compared to it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It should take a lot of shooting to burn out a 6.5 Creedmore because hot it is not. It's getting popular but velocity is not the reason. I'm a hunter and I would proudly use it- but I have many other cartridges that give up nothing in hunting performance compared to it.
    When I was very young I had a 243 and shot the living daylights out of it and the bore looked like it hadn't been shot much. Deer hunting, groundhogs, targets, anything to get out and shoot it. It shot great too....but unfortunately was stolen.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    I thought I was going to read in that it was derived from the 6mm Lee cartridge!
    It was??? History shows it was an interesting twist of fate that Winchester discarded using the 250 Savage as base the Swift yet later that discarded case would become the .22-250 and it would establish itself as the most dominant high-velocity .22 while the Swift just about become extinct.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Boolit Master
    Another thing that's not mentioned often are prepritory cases. As a reloader I've always gravitated towards cartridges I will never run out of brass for because of the ease of forming from existing brass.

I'm shooting 6.5 Remington mag in a 40X and 600 Remington carbine at around 2900 FPS, with moly bullets and without noticeable barrel wear. My groups are .5" to .75" for 120-140 grain bullets with H4831.

Before moly coating, I used to clean the barrel to bare metal every 11 rounds, that's a fouling round and two five shot groups. I'm also shooting a 220 Swift, 243 Win and 6mm Rem with similar results.

I wait at least a minute between shots and keep the barrel free of copper fouling with Sweet's 7.62. I believe barrel wear is caused by shooting too fast and by shooting over copper fouling.
    Last edited by gnostic; 10-29-2017 at 02:37 PM.

I had a 6.5 RM on a Siamese Mauser with a fast 26" barrel. It would chrono 3000fps + with 140 gr bullets. Gnostic those two Renington 6.5s you have make me green!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I had a 6.5 RM on a Siamese Mauser with a fast 26" barrel. It would chrono 3000fps + with 140 gr bullets. Gnostic those two Renington 6.5s you have make me green!
    You'll have a lot of great guns when you're my age and the 1911 in your avatar's, looking great to me...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It was??? History shows it was an interesting twist of fate that Winchester discarded using the 250 Savage as base the Swift yet later that discarded case would become the .22-250 and it would establish itself as the most dominant high-velocity .22 while the Swift just about become extinct.
    M-Tecs you're on the right track. The lineage of the Swift includes a Wotkyns-Sweany wildcat based on the 259-3000 case as well as the 6mm Lee Navy semi-rimmed case (though with less body taper and a sharper shoulder).

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast