Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 BlowMore

Boolit Master

6.5 BlowMore

Has ever a cartridge came on the scene with as dismal stats as this Creedmoore thingy? It has very little importance compared to what the last decade of writers have told us we must have!! I am all for new stuff but it is funny watching the gun companies decide what cartridge us consumers must have. And that grendle deal compared to my good ole 6.5 carcano is down write funny.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    That certainly is true; the 6.5 Carcano was the premier chambering for the most popular rifle platform in the US when all those those long-distance records were being made.

Boolit Master

I never saw anything wrong with the 260 Remington!
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

It's much more popular than the 26 Nosler that appeared about the same time. It came about to seat long range bullets farther out in the AR10 platform than the .260 Rem would allow for long range accuracy. As a hunting cartridge it's good enough for deer. I would prefer the .260, but no one asked me.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    The Creedmoor was a paper punchers round like many Br rounds. You compare apples and lemons and there will always be a short fall. Cause one leaves a sour taste in hunters mouth another in a target shooters mouth.
    Lot of game taken with the Creedmoor but it is better where it was designed to be used. As for the 260 it has had success in long range and hunting.

Boolit Master

.264 Win Mag, reputation of being barrel burner made it a flop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    .264 Win Mag, reputation of being barrel burner made it a flop.
    In the 70's that complaint is what made me go 6.5-06. And I still like it but never shoot it any more. For jacketed ammo I prefer the 6.5 for deer. I am simply amazed how the gun companies are pushing it.
    Look twice, shoot once.

They are also trying to tell everyone that the .224 Valkyrie is the latest and greatest round for long range shooting. Even better that the 6.5 creedmoor. My opinion, To each their own.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    In the 70's that complaint is what made me go 6.5-06. And I still like it but never shoot it any more. For jacketed ammo I prefer the 6.5 for deer. I am simply amazed how the gun companies are pushing it.
    Winchester did make some of those with stainless barrels. My say is it isn't exactly a plinking round and there are much better for the little varmint hunting....so for big game I wouldn't think one would burn out the barrel in their life time. It plays that role for long distance big game shooting very well.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    It's much more popular than the 26 Nosler that appeared about the same time. It came about to seat long range bullets farther out in the AR10 platform than the .260 Rem would allow for long range accuracy. As a hunting cartridge it's good enough for deer. I would prefer the .260, but no one asked me.
    You know Texas by God, I'm really beginning to like you. You have a very good head on you and a keen eye. You're right about what you just said.

Boolit Grand Master

The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2008. The 26 Nosler was introduced in 2014.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically NRA HighPower shooting.

It had limited general popularity and it would still have limited popularity had it not be for the Tactical Precision Rifle Series competitions on TV.

People started requesting it and it has become the flavor of the month.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-20-2017 at 05:49 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The 6.5 Creedmoor was introduced in 2008. The 26 Nosler was introduced in 2014.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically NRA HighPower shooting.

It had limited general popularity and it would still have limited popularity had it not be for the Tactical Precision Rife Series competitions on TV.

People started requesting it and it has become the flavor of the month.
    Very true M-tecs, but I would say it's pretty darn popular when hoards of firearms are being chambered for it including even the AR 10, inaddition Hornady making ammo and brass for it along with Starline making brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Very true M-tecs, but I would say it's pretty darn popular when hoards of firearms are being chambered for it including even the AR 10, inaddition Hornady making ammo and brass for it along with Starline making brass.
    Were in that did I state the 6.5 Creedmoor was not popular? I did state that the current popularity is base mostly on the medias coverage of it in the Tactical Precision Rifle Series competitions on TV.

For some applications the 6.5 Creedmoor is one of the better options. For other applications not so much. The 6.5 x 47 and the 6.5 Swiss Match predate the 6.5 Creedmoor by at least 3 or 4 years.

The 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 XC, 6.5 x 47, 6.5 Swiss Match and a bunch of other very similar all had the same limited popularity until the Tactical Precision Rifle Series competitions on TV started a media flavor of the month demand.

I am not much of a fan of the Tactical Precision Rife Series competitions on TV. Most of the shooters on the episodes I have watched simply are not very good and they push a lot of BS. They would not fair well against the top NRA Highpower, Palma, F Class or top military long range shooters.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-20-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Were in that did I state the 6.5 Creedmoor was not popular? I did state that the current popularity is base mostly on the medias coverage of it in the Tactical Precision Rifle Series competitions on TV.

For some applications the 6.5 Creedmoor is one of the better options. For other applications not so much. The 6.5 x 47 and the 6.5 Swiss Match predate the 6.5 Creedmoor by at least 3 or 4 years.

The 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.5 XC, 6.5 x 47, 6.5 Swiss Match and a bunch of other very similar all had the same limited popularity until the Tactical Precision Rifle Series competitions on TV started a media flavor of the month demand.

I am not much of a fan of the Tactical Precision Rife Series competitions on TV. Most of the shooters simply are not very good and they push a lot of BS.
    I didn't mean to sound like I tramped on your toes M-tec, but I did start that post with "Very true M-tec". I was just emphasizing how popular it has become and fast.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    About 2000 I bought a Rem 700 VLS in 260 Rem, it shot light bullets very well but 140 gr. bullets not so good. I don't really know why, you never can really tell but I tried a lot of different things. It would not out shoot my scoped Swede. I think the for my use the 260 needed to be a long action with a proper throat. Sold it and bought a nice generator. I still think it is a great round, I just ended up with the wrong combination.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    About 2000 I bought a Rem 700 VLS in 260 Rem, it shot light bullets very well but 140 gr. bullets not so good. I don't really know why, you never can really tell but I tried a lot of different things. It would not out shoot my scoped Swede. I think the for my use the 260 needed to be a long action with a proper throat. Sold it and bought a nice generator. I still think it is a great round, I just ended up with the wrong combination.

Dave
    Remington put a lot of 10 twist barrels on the 260's. A 10 twist is too slow for 140's and 9 is marginal. I believe the VLS was a 9 twist but should have been 8 twist.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post

Dave
    It does need a different length action. Another bad one from Remington are their 6mm rifles. You have to seat the bullets deeper then normal in the ones I've seen or you can't get an unfired cartridge out the chamber unless you pull the bolt.

i love the guys that say "X caliber shoots so flat"

do they even know what that means? i can still hit 1k with my .308 and they cant because they have nowhere to shoot 1k and they dont practice even if they did...

imho all these calibers are answers to questions that either shouldn't have been asked or are a solution looking for a problem

Boolit Master

best thing about the whole deal is there are so many cartridges, if you dont like one, dont buy it.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    My one and only reloading manual shows the 260, the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5 Creedmoore as having just a few feet per second difference from each other with a 24 inch barrel and those velocities depends on the weight of the bullets they happen to be shooting. If a guy goes to a slightly longer barrel the difference in velocity becomes insignificant or even non-existant. As far as accuracy is concerned, each of these 6.5 calibers can be made to shoot just as good as the other.

My hat is off to the marketing directors of the Creedmoor round. I remember it was only a few months back that the 6.5x284 Norma was all the rage; and before that it was the short magnums. Most of us gun enthusiasts don't like to admit it but we can be some of the most gullible consumers on the planet when it comes to the "Latest and Greatest" guns, calibers and gadgets. I wish I had a whole lot more expendable income. I'd buy one of each of the 6.5 calibers. For the time being I'll have to stick with my 6.5 Swedish Mauser calibers.

I don't think that there's a caliber on the market that isn't a duplicate of another caliber already in existence. Most, if not all are overlapping in performance with others in their respective bullet diameters/calibers. Virtually all of them are prone to burn out the throat of a barrel if shot to excess.

HollowPoint
    Last edited by HollowPoint; 10-21-2017 at 12:02 AM.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast