WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Winchester 70, 1969 year

Boolit Buddy

Winchester 70, 1969 year

I have an opportunity to purchase a Winchester model 70 in .338 Win Mag. It was manufactured in 1969. How was the quality of model 70's during the 1969 period. Are they as good as the ones built today? Please don't compare it to pre 64's.

Boolit Master

It's fine
    How much wear on the gun?
    Any modifications?
    What sighting system?
    Bore condition?
    Should be death on elk
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

The only problem I can think of is that the bolt handle attachment can fail. The post 64s are good guns and usually good shooters.

Boolit Buddy

I think the model 70's made from 1990 through today are excellent rifles, I just don't know anyone with a 1969 manufactured model. This rifle has a wooden stock without a scratch, makes me think it was only slightly used.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    I think the model 70's made from 1990 through today are excellent rifles, I just don't know anyone with a 1969 manufactured model. This rifle has a wooden stock without a scratch, makes me think it was only slightly used.
    I wouldn't think that a 338 Win Mag would get a lot of use. Just some big game hunting. Not exactly a target/varmint caliber. There's nothing wrong with a 1969 Winnie. Everyone at that time was still bemoaning the lost of the pre-64 Winchesters.

Boolit Grand Master

There were some small changes made in 68 or 69 on the post 64 desighn also. One was to bring back the anti bind hump on the bolt making this one smoother to operate. They are good rifles and worthy of being in your safe. Most 338s don't see a lot of use, a few rounds to check zero and a couple during hunting season. SO even a rifle made in 1969 may have less than 200 rds thru it.

Boolit Master

Country gent beat me to it. If it's a later, anti-bind post-64 it'll probably be fine.
    I give loading advice based on my actual results in factory rifles with standard chambers, twist rates and basic accurizing.
    My goals for using cast boolits are lots of good, cheap, and reasonably accurate shooting, while avoiding overly tedious loading processes.
    The BHN Deformation Formula, and why I don't use it.
    How to find and fix sizing die eccentricity problems.
    Do you trust your casting thermometer?
    A few musings.

Boolit Master
    Should make you a fine rifle, I had the opportunity to buy one many years ago from the original owner. He still had the box of ammo that was purchased with the rifle, and it still had 6rds left in it. Unfortunately I was younger, and didn't have the funds, or the need for it at the time, but a good friend of mine bought it. And he sold it for twice what he paid for it!

Boolit Master
    The late 60s rifles are not very good looking. If its appearance is acceptable they work fine. My cheap brother bought a .338 and took it to Alaska and Africa. He has killed very large moose, eland and many lesser antelope with it.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I bought a M 70 .375 in ‘72 and it’s on its third extractor. Shoots great, but I sure wouldn’t consider hunting anything dangerous with it; to many rounds jump out of the magazine and fall off the follower.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    There were some small changes made in 68 or 69 on the post 64 desighn also. One was to bring back the anti bind hump on the bolt making this one smoother to operate. They are good rifles and worthy of being in your safe. Most 338s don't see a lot of use, a few rounds to check zero and a couple during hunting season. SO even a rifle made in 1969 may have less than 200 rds thru it.
    A buddy of mine won a M 70 .338 mag. of about late `60`s make at a wild game dinner. I worked up 2 loads for him. The first load was a 200 gr. Hornady SP load and the other load was a 250 gr. Nosler partition load for big stuff. He uses the lighter load for just about anything else.Robert