Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 BlowMore

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    That's truth in poetry.
    I almost got a Tikka in 6.5x55 but went 25-06 instead.
    TBG...I was wanting a CZ in 6.5x55 caliber in the Mannlicher style stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    I have a 6.5 x 55 and a 264 Win mag. The mag is in a Rem 700 and the 6.5 is in a modern bolt gun (Win Mod. 70) I am a seasoned citizen so can see no point to the Creedmoor. Having said that, gun companies have to come up with new products to sell to the unwashed masses. The Creedmoor is the latest in a long line of cartridges that will "do it all" Ain't so! There was a time when the original 264 win mag was marketed in the same way and it only took a couple of years until it was CRUSHED by the 7mm Rem mag. (And it may well be the "do it all" cartridge) I don't own one but can't argue with the ballistics. If you like the Creed or Rem/Win/Nosler mag. or 270 or 06 or whatever trips your trigger, you ain't wrong and neither am I for not wanting one. We are just looking at thing from a different point of view.

Boolit Bub
    I think most all the different cartridges have their own "niche". To Each his own..... What really tends to frost my butt cheeks is the marketing of some of the newer cartridges when they try to compare to an existing proven cartridge. The instance I am thinking about was when Ruger brought out the .338 RCM. They were all hell bent on comparing it to the .338 Win Mag. Their advertising compared lighter bullet weights to the heavier .338 win loads.... Give me a break!!!
    The other thing that kills me is some of the people that write for the reloading manuals. Some consider the .264 Win mag a "barrel burner" and the 7mm Rem Mag is the next best thing to sliced bread. Please explain to me the wisdom in a .5mm difference of one being a barrel burner and the other not?
    Yes, I'm partial to my .264 and .338 Winnies. They work great for what I use them for.

Boolit Master
    I still am shocked by companies bringing new rifles to their lineup and the only 2 or 3 cartridge offerings and the creedmore is one of them! I have seen alot come and go in my life and I bet this one goes also. The 6.5 that I would love to have is that Brown single shot based on his design rifle and 6.5-30-30. That would be a neat package for a older guy like me!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

And ...... "Introducing the 6.5 PRC.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...g-the-6-5-prc/

1st I heard about this was in an e-mail today.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    And ...... "Introducing the 6.5 PRC.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...g-the-6-5-prc/

1st I heard about this was in an e-mail today.
    Just when you thought the short magnums were dead they try and reinvent them again.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Grand Master

That is the power of television and marketing. The Precision Rifle Series competitor's usage of the 6.5 Creedmoor took it from a niche cartridge to a very main stream cartridge.

Federal is hoping the same for the 224 Valkyrie and now Hornady with the 6.5 PRC.

Having watched the PRS programs it's mostly a joke. With the sponsorship and the money it that will bring hopefully it will attract some quality competitors.

Boolit Master

never can understand why people get so irritated at having more choices. life is simple, if you dont like it, dont buy it. im sure some of you drive a model T to work every day..............

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    never can understand why people get so irritated at having more choices. life is simple, if you dont like it, dont buy it. im sure some of you drive a model T to work every day..............
    They think it is a zero sum game, that if the new cartridge X is produced, then their favorite is not.
    USMC 6638

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    They think it is a zero sum game, that if the new cartridge X is produced, then their favorite is not.
    As with all things, Maybe Yes, and Maybe No.

Seriously; if volume of sales drops below "X", then there is insufficient or no profit resulting in the product being cancelled. Some good products can drop from the market because of numerous options and dilution of specific item sales. But;.... that's called a free market.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    How is a 6.5 PRC different from a 6.5 Creedmore? Looks the same..

Awww..never mind: http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...fle-cartridge/
    USMC 6638

Banned
    When you own a 41 Swiss CF, a 7x61 S&H, a 400 Whelen, a 22-06, a 32 Colt Match target ----- well what's not to like about any new cartridge ?

Boolit Master
    me and my 6.5 remmy mag are in vogue again!!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    me and my 6.5 remmy mag are in vogue again!!
    after reading that article,I it. I might even get a barrel for it in a fast twist. I am not against change when it makes sense and is practical for my needs.In the 6.5 diameter I will take long necks in short actions any day if the fps can be kept up around 3000.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Banned
    My 6.5-300 Bee (a-buildin) is a short action (Ruger No.1 ) with a long neck but with 30" tube probably about 3800 fps.

Just bought AA 6.5 Grendel upper ---- that'l make 4 6.5s.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    My 6.5-300 Bee (a-buildin) is a short action (Ruger No.1 ) with a long neck but with 30" tube probably about 3800 fps.

Just bought AA 6.5 Grendel upper ---- that'l make 4 6.5s.
    Wow! That's going to be a barrel eater!!!

Banned
    Thanks for your service !

Exactly what is a "barrel eater" ?

I have been the "the nut behind the bolt" for 60 years and have NEVER worn out a barrel. (well maybe an M-16 back "over there")

This 6.5-300 with 5R and Nitrided will last longer than me.

A 1940s M70 in 270 WCF with a carbon steel barrel will burn a barrel out far faster than this rig.

Besides---- who cares ? This barrel is costing a grand all done plus the $600 I paid for the No.1. The scope going on it costs a lot more.

"The object of life is to have the check for your funeral bounce." "There are no pockets in a shroud" "I've never seen an armored car following a hearse." "When you're wearing a diaper, drooling on yourself and you don't know who you are ---- it doesn't really matter if you're broke."

Any questions ?

Banned

Thank you for the service mention. I guess I mean a really fast cartridge with lots of powder and an overbore situation where when you got out you blast a lot of ammo. If you use that 6.5-300 for just hunting big game, yes it would last you a life time.

Thank you for your service too!

Boolit Master
    How many shots does it take to burn up a barrel? You pick the cartridge. Barrels are consumables. If you burn (as in accuracy is gone) a barrel in 1000 shots, ok then replace it. However, that is not likely to be a rifle that you are shooting cans with.
    USMC 6638

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by oldblinddog View Post
    How many shots does it take to burn up a barrel? You pick the cartridge. Barrels are consumables. If you burn (as in accuracy is gone) a barrel in 1000 shots, ok then replace it. However, that is not likely to be a rifle that you are shooting cans with.
    One of the notable barrel burners that comes to mind is the old 220 Swift Winchester. Now I imagine it's primary role would be one of varmint shooting which usually results in many shots during a session such as prairie dog hunting. Now if you take one that is for hunting big game with long shots such as mountain goat, antelope, etc. the 264 Winchest Magnum (another barrel burner) you won't be shooting a lot and the rifle should last you a long time. I guess it comes down to if you're shooting a very fast overbore cartridge to how much you shoot it per session.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast