Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 BlowMore

Boolit Master
    Shot a deer at 1200 yards with a 25-06, broke his spine, he dropped without taking a step.
    Have shot deer at greater distances with a 7 mm Shooting Times Western built for long range shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Wow! My name seems to have picked up a Spanish accent. LOL Hey the 25-06 is a really excellent cartridge. The forgotten 257 Roberts is a good one too.
    Sorry! Comprenshun and speleen are all over the place in my world. What were we talking about?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    My "long range" deer rifle is a 25-06. No one uses the .25 caliber for competition because apparently .007" of bullet diameter is the Grand Canyon of bullet performance. Perhaps a faster twist and match grade bullets would elevate the .25 cal to the Next Hot Thing? Nah.
    Pontificating aside, I think the Grendel is the best you can do in the AR15 platform (almost .250 Savage) and the Creedmore is a great target cartridge- just like it was intended to be.
    Thanks, Vezerone!
    Texas by God.....what I was talking about is how you spelled my handle above. Looked Spanish to me LOL I was just teasing you. Hey at least Spanish is Latin, you were in the right ball park. LOL

I don't know about the Creedmore but the Grendel is a GREAT idea. Don't like it if you don't want to like it. That's the beauty of a free market society, we can have all the options we want.

SOME of us don't like big guns. The older I get the more I hate everything I have that's bigger than .223 Rem and the Grendel offers me something. More bullet weight for almost equal noise and recoil. A bolt action in 6.5 Grendel is on my acquisition list. Were it not for my fixation on .358 Win and the stupid amount I have invested in .308, I would dump them both today. They offer me nothing but recoil and noise I don't need.
    I wouldn't shoot anything past a couple hundred yards cause I know I can't hit it anyway. Most mid-size and full size centerfire cartridges are wasted on me. I'm not alone either.
    A 6.5 Grendel in a suppressed bolt action would be everything I could ever need in a bolt action rifle. It would put a deer down pretty much anywhere here for TN distances.

Like an old man told me once: Son, that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.
    When dealing with islam one should always ask themselves: "What would Leonidas do?"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NoAngel View Post
    Like an old man told me once: Son, that's why they make chocolate AND vanilla.
    And chocolate chip, strawberry, rocky road, etc etc etc

I keep my fast twist .50cal muzzle loader around for when I want to feel recoil. 450gn and 90gn of powder give a little push

Banned
    I think M-Tecs hit the nail on the head way back in post #11 - The 6.5 Creedmoor is the flavor of the month.

In the end, all we are doing is launching a projectile. Some cartridges meet certain criteria better than others. While there are huge differences between the .45-70 and the .223 Remington, there are smaller differences between the .223 Remington and the .222 Remington Magnum.

A LOT of the hype is nothing more than marketing.
    To me the 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing more than a 7mm-08 necked down to 6.5mm. And while the 7mm-08 is nothing more than a .308 Winchester necked down to 7mm, it does offer some notable differences to the .308 Win. that it is based on. The 6.5 Creedmoor offers some slight differences to the 7mm-08, but not enough to get me excited.

There are some cartridge that stand apart from the pack far enough that they earn their place in history. Then there are the cartridges that just make up the pack.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HollowPoint View Post
    My one and only reloading manual shows the 260, the 6.5 Swede and the 6.5 Creedmoore as having just a few feet per second difference from each other with a 24 inch barrel and those velocities depends on the weight of the bullets they happen to be shooting. If a guy goes to a slightly longer barrel the difference in velocity becomes insignificant or even non-existant. As far as accuracy is concerned, each of these 6.5 calibers can be made to shoot just as good as the other.

My hat is off to the marketing directors of the Creedmoor round. I remember it was only a few months back that the 6.5x284 Norma was all the rage; and before that it was the short magnums. Most of us gun enthusiasts don't like to admit it but we can be some of the most gullible consumers on the planet when it comes to the "Latest and Greatest" guns, calibers and gadgets. I wish I had a whole lot more expendable income. I'd buy one of each of the 6.5 calibers. For the time being I'll have to stick with my 6.5 Swedish Mauser calibers.

I don't think that there's a caliber on the market that isn't a duplicate of another caliber already in existence. Most, if not all are overlapping in performance with others in their respective bullet diameters/calibers. Virtually all of them are prone to burn out the throat of a barrel if shot to excess.

HollowPoint
    /\ ALSO VALID POINTS

What the 6.5 Creedmoor does that the 6.5 x 55 (Swedish Mauser) doesn't accomplish - is that the Creedmoor fits in a short action.

We've long known that 6.5 mm bullets have excellent ballistic qualities.

Boolit Master
    From a cast boolit standpoint this 6.5 is a non-starter, like most of the new cals. that the magazines peddle.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    /\ ALSO VALID POINTS

What the 6.5 Creedmoor does that the 6.5 x 55 (Swedish Mauser) doesn't accomplish - is that the Creedmoor fits in a short action.

We've long known that 6.5 mm bullets have excellent ballistic qualities.

Exactly. The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically to allow the longest match bullets available to be used in a 308 length magazine. It does that superbly. I predict we will see the same with the newly introduced .224 Valkyrie. The .224 Valkyrie designers are using the same model that the made the 6.5 Creedmoor very popular. If 90 grain magazine feed bullets in a 22 cal gets popular with the TV covered shooting competitions the .224 Valkyrie will become the next flavor of the month.

I think that's why the 6.5-284 fans would build on long actions as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

Yet another 6.5 Creedmore rifle to come out in 2018.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...g-range-rifle/

Banned
    Obvious we have a lot of Non-NRA-Members here. If not, "they" might have read the extensive story of the 6.5 CM in the Rifleman and realize what it was made for.

As for killing things, the 6.5x55 has done fine for over a century and you can tell anything you shoot with the 6.5 CM, you used a Swede ...... they will be just as dead.

6.5s rule. The new 6.5-300 has the farthest point blank range of any factory cartridge any sane person would want to shoot.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post
    Obvious we have a lot of Non-NRA-Members here. If not, "they" might have read the extensive story of the 6.5 CM in the Rifleman and realize what it was made for.

As for killing things, the 6.5x55 has done fine for over a century and you can tell anything you shoot with the 6.5 CM, you used a Swede ...... they will be just as dead.

6.5s rule. The new 6.5-300 has the farthest point blank range of any factory cartridge any sane person would want to shoot.
    That 6.5-300 is one heck of a cartridge. I use to think the 257 Weatherby and 270 Weatherby shot flat, now this 6.5-300 beats them!

Banned

I'm sure it doesn't tear up too much meat on a 150 lb deer either.

a 130-140gr 25-06 round would be rather interesting if the velocity could be kept around 2900 fps or above.

Boolit Master
    The only issue I saw with my 260 was the throating. As a hand loader it's very difficult to seat a bullet out to just of the lands and still fit in the box of a short action 700. I'm planning to use the 6.5 Grendel for my hunting rig now. To the 260 vs 6.5 creedmore? Blow the 260 out to AI, throat it for the bullet you intend to use and the Creedmore is playing catch up. You wouldn't think a 100 gr .243 vs .264 120 gr would be much more, but at longer ranges it really does make a difference on deer.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charles1990 View Post

I do 'get it'. It shoots flat. By how much? Not that much in real life that any regular guy would ever notice. Maybe, just maybe, an expert will be able to make a difference with it that he can't get from any other existing round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I'm sure it doesn't tear up too much meat on a 150 lb deer either.

a 130-140gr 25-06 round would be rather interesting if the velocity could be kept around 2900 fps or above.
    Now we're talking. I have an old box of Barnes .25 cal. 125 gr bullets that gets used occasionally in my .25-06; so the idea has merit. Problem is they can't sell us a new gun, ammo, etc. just doing that.
    Back in the land of boolits.

Boolit Master
    The Swede is all I need.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    A LOT of the hype is nothing more than marketing.
    To me the 6.5 Creedmoor is nothing more than a 7mm-08 necked down to 6.5mm. And while the 7mm-08 is nothing more than a .308 Winchester necked down to 7mm, it does offer some notable differences to the .308 Win. that it is based on. The 6.5 Creedmoor offers some slight differences to the 7mm-08, but not enough to get me excited.

There are some cartridge that stand apart from the pack far enough that they earn their place in history. Then there are the cartridges that just make up the pack.
    Hmmm...so 0.62mm is significant but 0.50mm is not. That is good information to have!
    USMC 6638

Quote Originally Posted by RPRNY View Post
    The Swede is all I need.
    That's truth in poetry.
    I almost got a Tikka in 6.5x55 but went 25-06 instead.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast