Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: 6.5 BlowMore

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post

I happened to see that Cabelas had the Thompson Center Compass bolt action rifles on sale at $339 this last weekend. Couple that with the TC $75 rebate and a 5% military/veteran discount and any reward points you might have as well and the rifle is downright inexpensive. It isn't a bad way to test out a 6.5 Creedmoor without spending a lot of money to do so.
    Kentucky Gun Co has them for $272.83 shipped. Now you're really talking about a steal. I ordered one in 308 Win. Would have gone with the 6.5 Cree Cree if I wasn't already so invested in the 308 cartridge.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 308Jeff View Post
    Kentucky Gun Co has them for $272.83 shipped. Now you're really talking about a steal. I ordered one in 308 Win. Would have gone with the 6.5 Cree Cree if I wasn't already so invested in the 308 cartridge.
    Yeah, I saw where after I had bought mine, that they had lowered the price to $299 at Cabelas. But shortly after that they were pretty much sold out of all calibers for that rifle. I had thoughts about getting one in the .204 Ruger caliber. So fortunately they were sold out by then so that I couldn't spend more money. As getting a new caliber means reloading dies, etc. too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-16-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: add more information

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 6.5 creedmore. Shot my brother's 6.5CM rifle out to 600 meters, having never touched it before, hit everything I shot at.

Banned

I have a Compass in 308W and put a Boyds laminated stock on it and haven't been out to shoot it yet with the new stock. Dang fine rifle for the price and has 5r rifling too.

Vendor Sponsor
    There are 4 6.5 SWEDEmores in the family and they hunt. I find it funny that 6.5 swede load info is mild because everyone knows that the model 96 mauser cannot handle the same pressures as the creedmore is rated for. Yet kimber rebarreled several 96's in 308 win for retail sale and the saami specs for pressure on the 308 and the creedmore are the same. Set a creedmore case next to a swede case and it is obvious which has more potential. Since when does less powder capacity equal more velocity potential? Only in the minds of gun rag writers. All fun to talk about.

I didn't realize it until this thread but I INVENTED the 6.5 Creedmore 15 yrs ago when I ran a 22-250 reamer in a 6.5 Jap Arisaka chamber. I wanted to use easily available brass. It worked ok but the Arisaka's bore was a little oversized so I rebarreled it. Dang I should have copyrighted it.

Boolit Master
    I actually have a Type 99 Arisaka action rebarreled in .22-250 Ackley Improved. I put on a new Walnut stock for it. I used it for quite a few varmint hunts too. It could put ten shots into one ragged hole at 100 yards easy. With three or five shots just one little hole. Anyway the .22-250 Ackley Improved was all the rage at the time I got mine rebarreled. I was going to go with a .220 Swift originally. But the gunsmith had a barrel he machined a few hundredths too much off of to fit a customer's rifle, so he gave me a good deal on it. But one can fire off the regular .22-250 rounds and they fire form into the Ackley Improved version for reloading. Pretty handy if you run out of handholds and need to buy some 22-250's at the gun store. the .22-250 Ackley Improved has the same case capacity as the .220 Swift thus you use the load data for the .220 Swift with it.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 12-17-2017 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo correction

Boolit Master
    6.5 Creedmore does in a short action at higher pressure what a 6.5 Swede does in a long action at lower pressure. I think I like my Swedes better, but I do need to move my head a bit when I cycle the action or the bolt hits the end of my nose. 260 suffers from OAL restrictions, if you go much heavier than 120 grains you're giving up case capacity in exchange for bullet length.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    There are 4 6.5 SWEDEmores in the family and they hunt. I find it funny that 6.5 swede load info is mild because everyone knows that the model 96 mauser cannot handle the same pressures as the creedmore is rated for. Yet kimber rebarreled several 96's in 308 win for retail sale and the saami specs for pressure on the 308 and the creedmore are the same. Set a creedmore case next to a swede case and it is obvious which has more potential. Since when does less powder capacity equal more velocity potential? Only in the minds of gun rag writers. All fun to talk about.
    Kimber just got away with it is all. The Swede action was never designed for the pressures the 6.5 Creebmoor reaches or what the 308W can reach. You'll get away with for awhile, but someday it may come back and hit you in the hind end!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vzerone View Post
    Kimber just got away with it is all. The Swede action was never designed for the pressures the 6.5 Creebmoor reaches or what the 308W can reach. You'll get away with for awhile, but someday it may come back and hit you in the hind end!
    Actually hit you in the face.

Boolit Master
    M94's, m96's and cz550fs in 6.5x55 works for me. Not sayin I wouldn't try one. I'm a huge fan of the .264's.
    Life is so much better with dogs!

I went through a lot of soul searching when I decided I wanted to get a rifle chambered in 6.5. There are a lot of fine cartridges chamber in .264 and it was a difficult decision to make. I had a dream (nightmare) that I had purchased a 6.5CM and had put a Vortex scope on it! Wow! Almost made we feel like I should run out and buy a Camry because everyone else has one. Funny thing is, after looking at all the options, I settled on the Creedmoor. I’m only using this for longer range shooting and maybe some prairie poodle hunting a few times a year. Took it to the range last week to sight in the scope and I can tell you I am one happy camper. First two five shot groups after sighting in were .472” and .423”. I know that the debate will continue to rage over the merits and weakness of the 6.5 Creedmoor, but I’m convinced that it is everything it is cracked up to be.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20171215_123043.jpg   SAVAGE 10BA #1.jpg  

Please don't run out and buy a Camry.

Boolit Master
    I just ordered a TC Compass in 6.5 BlowMore. Don't need it and don't have a great deal of interest in the BlowMore, but at about $205 shipped and transferred after the rebate I just couldn't pass it up....

Please don't run out and buy a Camry.
    Thanks Jeff I won't. Didn't get the Vortex either.

I bought a Savage 12FV 6.5 on a black Friday Cabela's sale. $219 after $100 mail in rebate. I have one of these in .223 and love it!
    26" heavy barrel and accutrigger.
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...4.uts?slotId=0
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Grand Master

I've been a fan of 6.5's since I found a sporterized Carl Gustav 6.5 Swede sitting dusty on a shelf in a LGS in northern New England. I bought a 6.5 Creedmoor T/C Compass for under $200 with rebate not long ago and took it to the range today. Still love the caliber and it shoots great. Can't really think of anything it won't do for me that I'm likely to ask of it and I have a 30-06 or 35Whelen for those times.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567