RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Testing two variables when shooting round balls

Boolit Master

Testing two variables when shooting round balls

I want to test two variables - one at a time - for shooting round balls in my .72-caliber rifles. Not more than 100 patches are needed. Is there any sort of reseller who offers round ball patches - preferably of linen, but pillow ticking being acceptable - for .70- to .73-caliber RBs? Thickness of material is not critical. Only consistency of material thickness and weave is important.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

IME, patch thickness is very important when shooting PRB's - .015" to .020" thick seems to work best in most frontstuffers.

Patches can be made for any size/caliber, if cut from a swathe of linen or ticking - just buy it by the yard @ about $5/yd (36"x36") from WallyWorld or one of the hobby fabric shops like Jo-Ann's Fabrics (google: "pillow ticking for sale" or "linen for sale").

A single sq.yard of fabric should yield over 1000 patches.

Denim also makes good patches; but whatever's bought, first remove the factory sizing via washing/drying the fabric at least 2x with a good detergent.

Individual patches can be cut/stamped out of the cloth, or strips of the proper width cut from the fabric - both lubed, with the strips rolled for use as patches cut @ the muzzle.

The patch size needed for a PRB should be roughly 1.7 times the ball diameter (.720" x 1.7 = about 1-1/4" ) .

http://www.joann.com/utility-fabric-...e/1120070.html

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ticking-S...Khaki/19548677

https://www.onlinefabricstore.net/pr...p-ticking.aspx

Last edited by pietro; 10-20-2017 at 02:53 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

You might want to try something called drill cloth or pocket drill. It is made strong to hold up well for pockets in cloths. Mattress ticking is also stronger but thicker. Todays pillow ticking isn't the same as it once was. Don't understand why you feel thickness is not important but consistency is. If the material is not the proper thickness, it is of little good use.
    Aim small, miss small!

Banned

Boolit Master
    Pocket drill works better for me than anything I've tried. I used to get most of it from old worn out blue jeans that were being discarded. Already washed and my buddies would stop by with a small box full from time to time.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Pietro's advice is excellent! However, not all Walmart's or Jo-Ann Fabrics carry heavier pillow ticking, i.e., .018" or .024" (mattress) compressed. OTOH, from what I read on the Traditional ML Forum, On Line Fabrics does indeed stock the .018" pillow ticking. Also, 100% cotton denim, which comes in different weights/thicknesses, is widely available and makes excellent patches. Pocket drill in my experience is OK, but is too thin for my rifles and 1 smoothbore.

P.S. This isn't etched in stone, but I use RB diameter x 2.3 when I cut my patch strips. That leaves you enough material to patch if you don't center the RB.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Why not determine what material you need, get some and wash it to remove the "sizing" - then cut in to strips nd "cut at the muzzle"? You won't get a better fitting patch for your rifle than that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    Why not determine what material you need, get some and wash it to remove the "sizing" - then cut in to strips nd "cut at the muzzle"? You won't get a better fitting patch for your rifle than that.
    This is my last resort option. I'm trying to avoid a significant outlay for time, material, and tooling for testing that [might] demonstrate both tests are unsatisfactory. Thickness - .010-.018725 inch - doesn't matter for valid testing. What matters is that whatever thickness chosen need be that thickness for every shot fired. As I typed, rather than make that outlay, I would do the last resort and cut at the muzzle.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson