Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barn/ outbuilding gun

Boolit Master
    Bought an eastern Arms 12 guage single shot many years ago. Cut the barrel to 21" and had to make a new firing pin. Bought one of the limbsaver slip on butt pads and out side of test firing with the new firing pin hasn't been shot since then. Occasionally take it out when cutting the grass with my tractor for use against snakes. Frank

Banned
    22 bolt action 510 Remington's, used to keep a 8mm mauser hanging in the grainery but never used it

In Remembrance
    A balloon stretched over the muzzle works well.

The only thing I leave in the barn is a BB gun, but I keep an old Stevens 16ga single shot inside the back door loaded with #6 lead. Have shot several yard critters with it.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I keep a .semi auto .22 in the workshop. In the house there is a .223 loaded with reduced loads in case a coyote is dumb enough to expose its self in the back yard.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    Barn gun was an old crack barrel single shot 12 gauge. Think it was a Stevens or a Savage, with an oft glued back together split in the wrist area.

Stuff an oily paper towel in the muzzle end, and yank it out before use.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

I just keep my back-up 38special on my left ankle,been there fore about 40 years now like a hat I Never leave without both on.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Single shot 12 ga - used electrical tape doubled together over the top and a wrap around the barrel to secure the ends
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Master
    Another vote for taping the muzzle. If you live in the country a mud dabber WILL find a way to plug up the barrel. I went to shoot one of my 22 that leans against the wall in the workshop and noticed some light tan residue on the muzzle. Flashlight revealed the barrel was plugged with mud. Took an hour to get it clean. Then went into the house garage where I keep a 10-22 hanging on the wall. Yup, she was clogged as well. Now they are both covered with painters tape.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Buddy

I bought a . 22 auto rifle about 40 years ago, marked Coast to Coast (hardware stores ) and right after killed a skunk in the chicken yard.
    Marlin made these rifles and it was with me just about all the time. In the truck while I was changing irrigation water, disking and near by when feeding or milking.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Grand Master
    My Granddad kept an old single barrel 410 in the barn, primarily for skunks and foxes that were after eggs or chickens. It was one of the first firearms I ever shot.
    I live in California and leaving a firearm unsecured is just asking for some 16 year old meth head to steal it and then get you thrown in court when he hurts somebody with it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned

I live in rural Michigan and we have crack heads here and for that matter there everywhere. I wouldn't leave a loaded gun anywhere on my property. My luck the crack head or juvenile thief would use it on me or kill someone else with it and id have to answer for that stupidity. Just to easy to stick a gun in your pocket or grab a shotgun out of the entry closet when you head out of the door. You may think it wont happen to you but things like this happen in every part of every state.
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    My Granddad kept an old single barrel 410 in the barn, primarily for skunks and foxes that were after eggs or chickens. It was one of the first firearms I ever shot.
    I live in California and leaving a firearm unsecured is just asking for some 16 year old meth head to steal it and then get you thrown in court when he hurts somebody with it.

Boolit Master
    I like the old tube-fed Sears bolt-action shotguns. Cheap, can keep chamber empty, still have 5(?) shots in the magazine. I have 3 buildings with them installed. Ido keep the muzzlescovered, yellowjackets, miller moths,etc. Always have a handgun in pocket or on belt.

I keep an old rws diana 45 .177 pellet gun made in west Germany behind the door of my shop. It is scoped and deadly on just about anything that wanders into the yard. If i need more gun I always have a stainless kimber .45acp on my hip. Though in reality my German Shepard usually chases off the two leggers, and gives the four leggers the "one shake break" before I can get into play.

When we bought our house, a 1790's farm house with attached shed and barn, the man we bought it from (who was born in this house and we are the first non family members to own it) gave me his Iver Johnson 12 ga Champion and his Marlin Model 80 22 bolt. He used them as a kid and kept them in the barn and the house. He is now pushing 90.
    The shotgun was usable but well worn. Painted stock, etc. The Marlin was in good shape.
    He said he kept them for all kinds of critters that populated a dairy farm.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I do keep a old Stevens 12 ga. single barrel in the barn. muzzle taped with a bag of shells with it.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't really have an outbuilding at the moment but I have my camper parked next to the house I am rebuilding.
    I keep a Marlin 17HMR bolt upstairs for critters and in the camper I have a Marlin 30-30 (loaded with Lee 170fn) for deer and any other stuff that needs shot.
    Fortunately, with both locations being closed up, No need to cover the muzzle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12