Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Load for Berry's 115grn RN 9mm Boolit?

Load for Berry's 115grn RN 9mm Boolit?

I've tried all kinds of combinations with this boolit. Tried different powders,primers,crimps and OALs and can't seem to get a decent group out of my SR 9. Just wondered what other's have tried with good success? I am fairly new to pistol reloading and shooting,I know some of it is me,but I have found other boolits and data seem to do better at times. Any suggestions are more than welcome!
    Thanks!!!
    Gene

Boolit Grand Master
    I have not had stellar success with these Berry plated bullets. I had my best groups (which weren't very good) with loads just over the listed starting loads for 115 fmj bullets. As I raised the velocity, things got worse as far as groups went.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you pulled one of the bullets and measured the diameter? One of problems, I have found - is the regular Dillon expander/powder die does not expand enough. Went with a custom expander - it helps.

Seated bullet going in, should be the same size coming out.

Boolit Master

The best result I ever had with them was using green dot powder. I don't remember the specific load but recall it was around 1050-1100 and dirty.

I would stress checking some pulled bullets, as Gunor suggested. I had to flare the cases a lot to get them to work. Also be careful when crimping, just enough tho straighten the flare out without swaging the bullet. Lots of trial and error.
    I don't have my notes handy, but IIRC 4.4 gr. Red Dot worked the best (not great) Still trying to get Unique to work without smudging the cases (I think I'm up to 5.5 gr). Next I'm going to have to try BE-86. Oh yeah, 1.124 OAL worked the best in all my 9s (Helwan 1951, Walther CCP, S&W M&P, and Hi Point carbine)
    As always YMMV, be safe and check, check and check again.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

I have used them with decent success but not in that pistol. I don't own one.
    I prefer Rocky Mountain Reloading plated bullets. The plating is thicker and if you use their "match", the core is a bit harder as well.

Boolit Buddy
    When I loaded Berry’s .355” plated the results were 2”-3” groups. After slugging my barrel and found my bore was .356” , I tried the Berry’s .356” using 3.5 grains of PB and 5 grains of Longshot with a COL of 1.125” gave me 1” groups at 15yards.

Thanks for the info guys! I think when I run out of these will search for a new boolit to experiment with. As of right now Hornadys 90grn XTP has been the most accurate of any thing I've tried.

I tried plated .40 cal Berrys and found the XTP shot much better.

Boolit Buddy
    i cant speak for berrys 115 gr plated but im shooting xtreme 115 gr plated with good results at 7 to 10 yrds out of my m&p 9 c with pb powder , i cant remember exact charge off top of my head im thinking 3.8 to 4.2 gr . Unfortunatly pb is discontinued i would try win231 or hp 38 .

Quote Originally Posted by sandman228 View Post
    i cant speak for berrys 115 gr plated but im shooting xtreme 115 gr plated with good results at 7 to 10 yrds out of my m&p 9 c with pb powder , i cant remember exact charge off top of my head im thinking 3.8 to 4.2 gr . Unfortunatly pb is discontinued i would try win231 or hp 38 .
    I've still got a half a box that I got with my Dillon trade. Loaded and shot a good bit, red dot works ok, not great and maybe I'm not alone! Longshot is better. And yep, don't over crimp...

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    When I loaded Berry’s .355” plated the results were 2”-3” groups. After slugging my barrel and found my bore was .356” , I tried the Berry’s .356” using 3.5 grains of PB and 5 grains of Longshot with a COL of 1.125” gave me 1” groups at 15yards.
    I tried your load of 5.0 gr of longshot with the Berry 115 gr jrn sized @355 with a col of 1.125 accuracy was excellent @50" @1.25" for 10 shots but the cases were sooty and in my gun at least the slide would not lock back after the last shot.

Back when I used to shoot plated bullets before I started casting my own 9mm bullets I had good results with the Berry's 115 gr. RN bullets an 3.5 grs. Bullseye. Can't remember the OAL but I'm pretty sure it was around 1.169" with just enough taper crimp to take out the flare. On average I was getting around 1.5" groups at 25' but that was out of a Ruger BH in 357/9mm convertible,that revolver has always shot 9mm well even though the bore is slightly oversized for the plated bullets.

Still have some of the ammo loaded up in the stash,if I get a chance to this weekend I will put a couple mags through the Chanik TP9SA and see how well they shoot in it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    I tried your load of 5.0 gr of longshot with the Berry 115 gr jrn sized @355 with a col of 1.125 accuracy was excellent @50" @1.25" for 10 shots but the cases were sooty and in my gun at least the slide would not lock back after the last shot.
    Increase the charge but don’t exceed 6 grains

I see this thread is a bit old but will respond anyways in case gene10 is still looking.

I use Berry's plated in 2 different 9mm's with very good results. So far I've shot almost 1000 115gr RN, 250 124gr RN and 250 HBFPTP. All have performed very well for me in a PT92C and an XD Mod2 4.0
    I've been using Hodgdon HP-38 powder with all bullets with the starting loads so low they wouldn't fully cycle the slide. I have also started using Ramshot Silhouette and it seems to be a bit more accurate. Both have burned very clean in my guns at the levels I'm loading.

Anyways both the wife and I have been shooting these with about the same results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	011.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	45.5 KB 
ID:	207124 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	004.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	207125

1st picture is wife's best @ 7yds. 2nd target is mine at 10yrs.