RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: USPS Money orders

Boolit Grand Master

USPS Money orders

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    IMO; if they're in the business of selling Money Orders, they aught to have money on hand to cash them as well.
    How many money orders do you think the PO sells per week? The one by me sells very little. Most people use MOs sold at gas stations or Western Union. Postal money orders as form of payment are only part of the gun community. For any other item PP is the norm.

I'd have to want an item pretty bad to go and get a USPS money order The P.O. is a bigger PITA than the DMV. I'll pass on items if the seller wants paid in that way. PayPal or personal check or sell to someone else. Gp

Boolit Master
    I use USPS money orders because I don't have a bank account. Haven't for years/
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Quote Originally Posted by swamp View Post
    I use USPS money orders because I don't have a bank account. Haven't for years/
    I am not a youngster by any means but can't imagine not having a bank account...My house is paid for but my insurance alone,( home, auto, boat, liability)would run me ragged to pay the premiums in cash at their office....Then we can list the taxes...No I don't want to get depressed...

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

I have a savings acct that dates back to when I was 2 days old way back in Oct. first, 1943, I also have my pension checks automatically depositied to one of my checking accts. I then have a second checking acct, which keeps me from having to run inside the gas station when buying gas. Makes it a whole lot easier for someone unable to walk.

No idea what I would do without these 2 checking accts.

Is it possible to hack into my 2nd checking acct.? Possible, but they'll never get more than $50.00, which will not change the way I eat or live.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Boolit Master

I did not know that you could take a USPS MO to the bank. I rarely have to cash a money order but often I do have to buy one when the seller will not accept a personal check.

After reading this I wonder what kind of difficulty people in Mexico have cashing USPS money orders. On Fridays, our small post office is crowded with "spanish surnamed americans"(and some non-americans) buying MO's to send back home.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    USPS money orders are not worth the paper there written on out of USA. I found that out when I ordered some stuff from Canada. However WalMart money orders are good anywhere in the world.
    Those "Spanish surnamed Americans" probably sending to Texas

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Just go to the bank. Any bank will cash them. The post office starts its day off with very little cash and with the advent of putting credit card readers/payment in the post offices they receive even less cash. They mail things...they're not a bank.
    Not true for me when I lived in Colorado and now Tennessee. Take one to a bank and they will gladly deposit it in your account then you can withdraw the same amount of cash, if you already had that much in your account. The MO will sit for a couple of days until it clears.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

If I ever have to accept a USPS MO again, I will take it to the bank. I deposit every thing so there will be a record of the receipt. I doubt that any MO I get will be large enough that I need the cash right away.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by legend 550 View Post
    USPS money orders are not worth the paper there written on out of USA. I found that out when I ordered some stuff from Canada. However WalMart money orders are good anywhere in the world.
    Those "Spanish surnamed Americans" probably sending to Texas
    This reminds me of the troubles I had, when I accepted a cashiers check from the Royal Bank in Scotland...it was the strangest looking paper check, almost no words/writing on it, just a holographic symbol on one side and "Royal Bank in Scotland" across the top and the amount embossed in the lower corner...in Pounds, not US dollars. The local branch of my Bank wouldn't take it, I was told to bring it to the Bank headquarters building 20 miles away...they agreed to take it, but I had to fill out a form and they held the funds for 8 days.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    use pay pal much faster
    you can buy shipping labels and postage on line
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Has anyone taken a large MO to the PO to at least verify that it's authentic? Will a PO do that? I'm thinking of one for a couple hundred dollars or more. It would be worth the trip to the PO before going to the bank if a counterfeit MO comes back to the bank and the bank debits your account for the amount of the MO.

I've had the same problem with the small *** I use having enough cash on hand to cash a MO of even $50.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by bedbugbilly View Post
    While you may not agree with it, a local PO is no different than a small business - they are not thee to cash checks postal money orders, private money orders, etc. Yes, the SELL them - but a grocery store sells food as well and do you expect them to cook it for you? "Cash drawers" are limited for a reason - and unfortunately, it is because of dishonest employees who have spoiled it for others. Our family owned a small business and on Friday night, we always had Ford employees come in with their paychecks (MUCH larger than what our's were) and expect us to cash them. Sorry, that's what banks are for.

It makes a person wonder why you would waste time driving to three different postal facilities to cash a Postal MO when you could have easily cashed it at your bank - common sense ought to dictate that. If the PO clerk cashed your MO and it cleaned out most of the cash on hand, how are they supposed to take care of the many other customers that come in to buy stamps, mail items, etc. and need change?
    Why would you use a check or a big bill to buy a stamp? That's what banks are for. Besides you can buy stamps at groceries and even at some banks. You can even buy them from your local USPS carrier.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master
    I just deposit money orders at my bank. I have never been able to cash a money order at the post office for more than $40. Now that I can mobile deposit checks from my phone I actually prefer personal checks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    Has anyone taken a large MO to the PO to at least verify that it's authentic? Will a PO do that? I'm thinking of one for a couple hundred dollars or more. It would be worth the trip to the PO before going to the bank if a counterfeit MO comes back to the bank and the bank debits your account for the amount of the MO.

I've had the same problem with the small *** I use having enough cash on hand to cash a MO of even $50.
    I don't know if every P.O. will but my local will. They call a number and give the information and it is verified or not. Problem is just like a check the payment can be stopped on a M.O. after you have deposited it. When dealing with checks, or money orders I hold shipping until it clears my bank.
    The Bill of Rights - Void were prohibited by law.
    Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box, Ammo Box. Which one of these is still working properly?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyR...83SK1hk2GT-Jqg

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post

there is an 800 number to verify if its a REAL USPS MO

Accepting Money Orders. Before accepting a money order, make sure it's real. If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455. If you think you’ve been given a fake money order, call the Money Order Verification System at 1-866-459-7822.
    Last edited by Smoke4320; 10-21-2017 at 12:07 PM.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke4320 View Post
    there is an 800 number to verify if its a REAL USPS MO

Accepting Money Orders. Before accepting a money order, make sure it's real. If you suspect fraud, call the U.S. Postal Inspection Service at 1-877-876-2455. If you think you’ve been given a fake money order, call the Money Order Verification System at 1-866-459-7822.
    When in doubt make the call. Fraud is accomplished in many ways these days and all of the other payment schemes are and have been subject to them. Face to face and cash has it risks also. I like supporting the USPS, it may not be perfect but it is pretty darn good where I frequent it. And I like the folks who work there. Having lived in very small towns that only had the PO deliveries two days a week and growing up in very rural America, postal services are appreciated.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I love going to my post office. Not because it's convenient, not because I can buy stamps and money orders there. I love mine, because the post mistress has bodacious breastial development that is always a treat to see, especially in the summer time.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    I love going to my post office. Not because it's convenient, not because I can buy stamps and money orders there. I love mine, because the post mistress has bodacious breastial development that is always a treat to see, especially in the summer time.
    LOL
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Not trying to launder or hide money I get I deposit them in the bank like any other check. They clear in 24 hrs same as personal checks , but without the 10 day chargeback like a personal check.

Yep been burned that way. There is no recourse at that point. Unless it is an instate check in NH. Then I give it to the police of the town and get collection rapidly unless the writer wants to be jailed.

God I love NH!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast