Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 30 Remington lemonade? WTB Model 8/81......

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The M8 in .35 and the M8& M81 in .35 & .300 Savage have some kick on the bench with the steel buttplates. They are RECOIL operated by golly.
    I simply refused to believe that a Mdl 81 in 300 Savage could kick you as hard as everyone said it did. But by damn it does! I didn't like it. Traded it off.

Texas? My first deer rifle is the old #8, 35cal in picture. I was 12yrs old and probably was only
    100lbs soaking wet. I admit it moved me around a little back then. I was known on the mountain
    as the skinny little guy with the machine gun. Never was worried about the recoil but once when
    fine tuning the sights one summer I had a empty bounce off the barn and go down my shirt. That's
    when I invented the Boot Scooten Boogie. I think someone down your way claimed credit for that
    too.

In Remembrance
    35 doesn't kick like the 300 does though. lol

Boolit Master
    The thing kicks 3 times, once backwards and twice forwards! I saw an interesting U-tube video of one firing in slow motion,bolt and barrel slide back during recoil, with the bolt held in the rearward position, then the barrel slams forward which then releases the bolt to strip a cartridge from the magazine, then it slams forward to lock up with the barrel extension. It's really noticeable when you shoot reduced loads, and everything slows down.

I could use 100 30 Remington cases, if the price was right. I saw your ad but was not interest at your listed price.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    oscarflytyer,

Wishing that you had called me before you traded it off. = I've looked for a Model 8 (YEP there were a FEW Model 8s made at the end of the run.) or Model 81 in .300SAV (in serviceable condition) for 5+ years.
    (I have a George F. Cake extended police-service magazine "squirreled away" to fit that rifle.)

MOST of the people who complain about the Remington's "kick" are trying to turn it into a .300 Win Mag, imVho.
    (Fwiw, my S-A War .30-40 "clone" 180 grain GCCB hunting load is a great KILLER but not much of a "kicker", as my 60" tall/100# lady shoots my circa 1954 Model 760 quite well, thanks.)

yours, tex
    Last edited by texasnative46; 10-22-2017 at 10:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Buddy
    Now this is a thread I can love.
    I started my love affair with the 30 Rem about 20 years ago. I bought a model 14R that was pitted out for the first 2 inches of barrel. Oddly enough I put 10 rounds into 2 inches at 100 yards with Iron sights. Time to go hunting. This one was made in 1922 so in 2002 I took it deer hunting. Got a nice forked horn at 15 yards on opening day. Hope I'm still putting venison on the table at 80 years old.
    Then I had to get the rest of the series so I started looking and found a 25, 32 and 35 in the Model 14. Then I needed to have the Model 8's, I have so far found (2) 30's, a 25 and a 32. I'm still looking for a shooter in 35.
    I did stumble across a Model 30 Express in 30 Rem. Beautiful and a sub 1" shooter. The shop had no idea what they had.

I got lucky one day when Chub Eastman was assigned an article on the 35 remington. He knew I loved the 35 so he asked if we could use my contender and my model 14. I worked up the load data ( with some newer powders) and Chub wrote the article. He was kind enough to picture me and my model 14 in the article. If I remember correctly it was a 2005 Guns and Ammo.
    Can't hardly wait until 2022 so I can take that first Model 14 out hunting on it's 100th Birthday.
    Long live the 30 Rem and the whole family.

Joe

I recommend the slide action, too. For reasons stated above. Plus that brass in the grass doesn't sound that great to me.

USMC E-5 69-72
    Paypal is an anti-2nd amendment organization

Quote Originally Posted by jcunclejoe View Post
    Now this is a thread I can love.
    I started my love affair with the 30 Rem about 20 years ago. I bought a model 14R that was pitted out for the first 2 inches of barrel. Oddly enough I put 10 rounds into 2 inches at 100 yards with Iron sights. Time to go hunting. This one was made in 1922 so in 2002 I took it deer hunting. Got a nice forked horn at 15 yards on opening day. Hope I'm still putting venison on the table at 80 years old.
    Then I had to get the rest of the series so I started looking and found a 25, 32 and 35 in the Model 14. Then I needed to have the Model 8's, I have so far found (2) 30's, a 25 and a 32. I'm still looking for a shooter in 35.
    I did stumble across a Model 30 Express in 30 Rem. Beautiful and a sub 1" shooter. The shop had no idea what they had.

I got lucky one day when Chub Eastman was assigned an article on the 35 remington. He knew I loved the 35 so he asked if we could use my contender and my model 14. I worked up the load data ( with some newer powders) and Chub wrote the article. He was kind enough to picture me and my model 14 in the article. If I remember correctly it was a 2005 Guns and Ammo.
    Can't hardly wait until 2022 so I can take that first Model 14 out hunting on it's 100th Birthday.
    Long live the 30 Rem and the whole family.

Joe
    Tex - been gone awhile. and I was shooting the Pet Load in it. Not hot rodding at all. Loved the rifle itself, and the caliber. But all was lost once I pulled the trigger!

Boolit Buddy
    Have you looked at gunsinternational .com? they have one listed. just saw it there today. Put in your make and model in the search and it should show you whats forsale. I'm not associated in any way with the wed site or the gun. Just "helping" out

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12