Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: This works for me, but how hard?

Boolit Buddy

This works for me, but how hard?

I've lurked here forever but have never posted. I was curious to know how my preferred .30 cal. alloy stacks up against the alloy choices of others. I use 6 ingots of COWW to one ingot of linotype. Recovered bullets show no signs of failure. I shoot a lot of it through four Krag rifles and I have never had an incidence of leading. I should mention that I have never tried to speed things up beyond 1,700 fps and generally stay below 1,600 fps. I have no need to change things, but would like a good idea how hard this alloy is compared to others.

Boolit Master

I have pushed my 25% range scrap to 75% cww mix pretty hard just to see what would happen. I started mixing 50/50 with just as good results . I loose accurracy in my riffles but havent had leading issues as the velocity goes up. Thats in .270, 6.5 and 30 cal. from speeds 1200 to 2100 fps. I have used lots of different powders.

9m Luger is another story, but those troubles are size issues, not hardness.

I am pretty certain i could even go softer. But my pure lead stash is limited so i havent tried.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master

I am not a "hardcast" guy. I would add 4 more COWW ingots to that alloy.
    I usually load between 1200 and 1600 fps.

PS:
    Your statement

This works for me, but how hard?

Tells more than you realize.

If it works for you, it is a good alloy.

If you are doing something and it is working to your satisfaction don't let anyone tell you it "will not work". Something that works for you might or might not work for me. That doesn't mean you shouldn't use it.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Krag1902 View Post
    . . . . I have no need to change things, but would like a good idea how hard this alloy is compared to others.
    Your alloy is 12.8 BHN if the ingots all weight the same in that 6:1 ratio...1% Sn, 4.29% Sb, .21% Arsenic & 94.5% Pb.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    OS OK, That's precisely what I wanted to know for certain. I did have a pretty good idea it was close to that. In the end, nothing succeeds like success, and that is what I'm experiencing. Seems foolish to mess with it. Thank you.

We have a Pb calculator available at no charge through a member...'bumpo'...download it here on forum somewhere and works in Excell...it's a dilly, that's where your numbers came from.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master

I have been using straight up COWW's for 20 years and I never have a leading problem. Of course I water drop all my boolits into cold water and keep the velocities in the low to medium area. Sizing is critical for any cast boolit.
    Pax Nobiscum Dan (Crash) Corrigan

Currently casting, reloading and shooting: 223 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweede, 30 Carbine, 30-06 Springfield, 30-30 WCF, 303 Brit., 7.62x39, 7.92x57 Mauser, .32 Long, 32 H&R Mag, 327 Fed Mag, 380 ACP. 9x19, 38 Spcl, 357 Mag, 38-55 Win, 41 Mag, 44 Spcl., 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 45 ACP, 454 Casull, 457 RB for ROA and 50-90 Sharps. Shooting .22 LR & 12 Gauge seldom and buying ammo for same.

Boolit Grand Master

If you add 3% tin to that you'll have very close to #2 alloy which will not be quite as brittle. The BHN will increase to 14 - 16 also.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

your about where ww's in the 70's-80's used to be.
    IMO your probably running harder than necessary but I have shot tons of an alloy real close to yours so I got nuthin.
    you could throw in some soft lead and not see a difference other than a slight diameter change.
    or you might lose some accuracy.
    I know my 165 gr silhouette bullet is about 25% more accurate with the harder alloy I use than it is with a softer one.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm getting very good accuracy as it stands right now. I won't venture a guess as to average, but five shot (receiver sighted) groups @ the standard 100 yards go as close as an inch and generally less than two with the predictable bullets - 308284, 311290, and 311299. I have had some surprisingly tight groups with 308280, 308274 and 311241. I won't use a bullet designed after about 1910. I admit to being a throwback.