MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners

Thread: Are these for a Lyman 310 or Trueline?

Boolit Master

Are these for a Lyman 310 or Trueline?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DCP_1301.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	206204

Got 2, one is marked with the number 2 and the other is marked with the number 7. Looks to me to be for seating primers?

Sorry for the poor quality pictures. Also the one smaller ring looks to be the lock nut but the other one has to same thread as the large piece. What is that?

Boolit Master

Step 3

https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/...large_10oz.pdf

Left is priming chamber
    Right is lock nut

The middle item is the case adapter

Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    If the priming chamber is a #7, its 30-40 or 303 BRIT. A case adapter ring #7 is for .45 Colt or .45ACP

Priming chamber and case adapter ring #2, is for 30-06 and all like sized cases

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming you don't know the nomenclature - the case adapter is a ring that screws into the 310 handles and sizes the brass. This is how the 310 tool became a universal tool from the original caliber dedicated tools
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Assuming you don't know the nomenclature - the case adapter is a ring that screws into the 310 handles and sizes the brass. This is how the 310 tool became a universal tool from the original caliber dedicated tools
    Wayne, the cast adapter does not size the brass. That is done by a sizing die. The case adapter allows the 310 tool to be used with different diameter cases. You change adapters to fit the diameter of the case.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Wayne, the cast adapter does not size the brass. That is done by a sizing die. The case adapter allows the 310 tool to be used with different diameter cases. You change adapters to fit the diameter of the case.
    To expand on this, The MR die or CMR die sizes the neck only on most calibers* while the adapter keeps the case centered in the handles.
    *A few pistol dies are actually full length.
    Lyman also offered a Shell Resizer for FL resizing. It looked like a section of a rifle barrel which had been reamed with a chamber reamer. The case was lightly lubed and forced in with a mallet or arbor press and then a rod was used with a mallet to remove the case from the Shell Resizer. Tedious, but functional.

Boolit Grand Master

Granted, but I've only used straight case pistol brass in the 310 tool. Sure felt like that ring was doing some sizing!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Granted, but I've only used straight case pistol brass in the 310 tool. Sure felt like that ring was doing some sizing!
    If the case adapter feels like it is doing some sizing, most likely it is the wrong adapter for the cartridge.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Just a little "additional note" in regards to the priming chamber die - each number designates what cartridge the die will work on when you refer to the reference chart for the 310/tru line dies. The priming die, for example the 30-06 will also work on the 8mm Mauser (8X57) as they both have the same base dimensions more or less. However, the de-capping/neck sizing, expander and seating dies for those two cartridges utilize different die bodies because there is a difference in the length of the 30-06 brass and the 8mm Mauser brass. A "priming chamber die" for the 38 special will also do the 357 and 38 Colt Short and Long as their bases are identical - but again, the other dies, for example for the 38 Colt Short/Long will not work with the 38 Spl / 357 as the die bodies have to be different in length to accommodate the difference in the brass length.

The steel handles, which predate the aluminum handles that utilize the screw in case adapter like you have, were "cartridge specific" - i.e. stamped with the cartridge on the handle and the handle was bored specifically for the cartridge dimension. However, as long as the base is the same size, other cartridges could be loaded with the appropriate die set if the cartridge fit the handle. Again, a good example - I have a set of steel tongs that are stamped 30-06, but i use them to load 8mm Mauser with a 8mm Mauser set of 310 dies as the 8mm base is the same as the 30-06.

It can get a little confusing but with a little study, it all makes sense.